Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Have there been any reports of migraines in the 3D showings?

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 9:38pm

Post #1 of 8 (369 views)
Shortcut
Have there been any reports of migraines in the 3D showings? Can't Post

I don't think anyone's posted on this yet. If someone has, my apologies. There are just too many messages on the Hobbit Forum for me to keep up with.

I'm susceptible to migraines, one reason I'm seeing The Hobbit for the first time in 2D tomorrow. However, I would hate to NOT see it in 3D HFR later on. Has anyone experienced a headache from the 3D glasses, from the HFR, or from anything? I'm not susceptible to motion sickness, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

lindorian
The Shire

Dec 13 2012, 10:27pm

Post #2 of 8 (191 views)
Shortcut
HFR 3D was better for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the HFR 3D version. I usually loathe 3d as it gives me eyestrain, headaches and double vision but with the HFR I had none of that. It didn't have that cheesy obvious 3D imagery just a densely realised world.

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Dec 13 2012, 11:10pm

Post #3 of 8 (144 views)
Shortcut
I'm seeing it in 3D on Sunday [In reply to] Can't Post

and have to admit I'm a bit nervous about it; never watched a film in 3D before! I would hate for it to spoil my enjoyment. Will just have to wait and see, I guess. Good luck, I hope it doesn't give you any problems.

imin
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 1:06am

Post #4 of 8 (140 views)
Shortcut
the 3D is not very 3D at all [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to see it in 24fps if that makes any difference.

I could have watched it without the glasses that is how little they did the 3Dness of it.

If you usually get headaches etc then perhaps go for other screenings as i have heard people getting headaches from the HFR as well.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2012, 6:17am

Post #5 of 8 (97 views)
Shortcut
None of the people I was with spontaneously reported problems - [In reply to] Can't Post

some 30 I saw afterwards. One friend said he came out of Avatar in 3D with the biggest headache he'd ever had. He's seen this now twice and had no problems.
That's not much of a sampling, I know. Evil

Pimmiko
Bree

Dec 14 2012, 6:58am

Post #6 of 8 (86 views)
Shortcut
I've seen it both 2D and HFR/3D (twice) [In reply to] Can't Post

and actually liked HFR/3D most. My husband who has a serious sight problem, has to wear glasses all the time, went to see it in HFR/3D with me, had 3D glasses on his own glasses (my English is so bad, I hope this is understandable) and had absolutely no problems. And it was his first time to watch a 3D movie.

I've seen it three times in two days, no problem. I don't know if this helps?

Seaborn
The Shire

Dec 14 2012, 12:23pm

Post #7 of 8 (65 views)
Shortcut
IMAX 3D 24 fps [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched it in IMAX 3D 24 fps and it felt like watching the movie from Gollum's boat. I'm seeing it again in 48 fps tomorrow but as of now, the 3D seems to distract more than attract.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 14 2012, 2:34pm

Post #8 of 8 (66 views)
Shortcut
Thank you all very much [In reply to] Can't Post

I, too, have to wear glasses, so would have to wear the 3D glasses on top of my regular ones. There does seem to be a bit of a consensus that if I'm going to see the 3D version, to also do the HFR version.

My husband and I are leaving for the theater in less than an hour to see the 2D version, and will decide later whether to risk the 3D.

Our local paper had a review this morning, with the headline, "Put down the CGI, Mr Jackson, and step away from the hobbit." Which I thought was very clever, even if it was yet one more "there's too much!" review. I'll like it, I know Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.