Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
13 hours to go... (Hobbit Forum abstainers)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 11:58pm

Post #26 of 43 (245 views)
Shortcut
I did some searching to see what I could find... [In reply to] Can't Post

and all I could find were articles talking about the absence of nominations for TH being snubs. I can' t find anything that says it missed a deadline.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Rivendweller
Lorien

Dec 14 2012, 1:14am

Post #27 of 43 (241 views)
Shortcut
Haven't been here for ages but - it is time.... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the very first time I have actually managed to stay absolutely spoiler free !! Wink I've been looking forward to seeing this and wanted to go in absolutely free from anyone's opinions. Well , I guess if I am PERFECTLY honest, I am almost spoiler free. I did read " The 12 things " article but that was on Facebook because we are friends and ...well.... there it was !! But she was quite careful to not reveal much at all so I still feel pretty unspoiled.

I took a fast peek at the Hobbit board , saw the negativity just in some headline posts and veered straight away. Not ready for that.

I spent the entire day feeling happy and giddy about The Hobbit finally being here and I'd love for that feeling to continue. My co-workers were all shaking their heads and laughing as I did a countdown on the hour. It's been a lot of fun geeking out among them. Only one of them is a LOTR fan and she shared my enthusiasm.

If someone of old who recognizes me would like to send a PM , (or anyone for that matter - we are all family for life really ), to point me in the direction of a happy positive thread tomorrow that would be lovely. I like to gush about the cinematography , seeing Middle Earth again, Frodo , Rivendell, everything that transports us into that world for over 2 hours and leaves us there in our minds long after we climb into bed wondering just HOW IN THE WORLD are we going to get up in 4 hours and go to WORK !! Laugh

Less than 4 hours to go !!!!!!!!!!

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 1:26am

Post #28 of 43 (237 views)
Shortcut
I said last night to someone... [In reply to] Can't Post

that there's a contingency on The Hobbit board that function like mini-Ungoliants... sucking the light out of everything.

I won't be going to see TH till Christmas but I've pretty much decided that the only place on TORn I'll discuss the movies are in the Monday movie thread on Off Topic. Even if I wanted to wade into the negative stuff on the Hobbit board, any thread that got started would only last 85 minute before it fell to page two and be replaced by a new one.

I will admit, I'm trying to figure out a way to have some semi private conversations - with people who are generally of good nature even when they don't like something. Barring a place to do that, I guess it will all be 1:1 by email. If I have to carry on 10 distinct conversations it will still be worth it to avoid the mess on The Hobbit board.

You've got my email address, Rivendweller, and we did some conversations about HP by email. :-) But not for another week or two. :-(

btw, it's good to see you. We have a new-ish poster called Riverdweller and everytime I see their name I have to make 'note to self... that is NOT Rivendweller'. lol

Rivendweller
Lorien

Dec 14 2012, 2:23am

Post #29 of 43 (216 views)
Shortcut
Til after Christmas then !! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a date to have some wonderful email exchanges with you Magpie ! I enjoy those very much. I know our HP one fell off quite soon, but I was in the midst of moving from North Carolina back to Florida at the time ! Cool

I can empathize with your statements and it would be quite fun to talk about it here on the Monday film thread with you as well. I've purposely avoided coming here in my quest to remain spoiler free, so it would be nice to come ' home ' for a bit and even share a pint or two on Fiesta Friday ! I'll be late to the parties though as this site is blocked at my job , but I'll jump on when I get home.

Have a wonderful wonderful Christmas , and enjoy the film when you do see it. Look for my owl !! ( er....email ! )

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 2:28am

Post #30 of 43 (259 views)
Shortcut
owl... haha [In reply to] Can't Post

good memories.

I don't ever have much interesting to talk about at FF but I check in sometimes. :-)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 7:20am

Post #31 of 43 (253 views)
Shortcut
Admiration for all of you [In reply to] Can't Post

You all will be so pleasantly surprised with the film. Staying away from The Hobbit board a couple of days/weeks before the release is certainly the way forward.

I hope you really enjoy the film when you finally get to see it.

Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 8:13am

Post #32 of 43 (245 views)
Shortcut
Pleasantly surprised? [In reply to] Can't Post

If only...Frown

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

imin
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 11:43am

Post #33 of 43 (215 views)
Shortcut
Yeah well done guys and gals [In reply to] Can't Post

I think most if not all will enjoy it and it will be what you have been waiting for Smile I hope so anyway as its always so magical it seems when that happens.

Almost time now!Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 12:22pm

Post #34 of 43 (247 views)
Shortcut
Please remember! Some of us are still avoiding spoilers and the Hobbit board [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not going to see it for another week or two and I'm avoiding most reactions and spoilers. So please... DON't discuss the movie here!

I don't care if you loved it or hated it. I don't really want to know. I want to form my own opinion.

So - no spoilers, please! :-)

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Dec 14 2012, 3:58pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 3:03pm

Post #35 of 43 (190 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit board is indeed chaotic... [In reply to] Can't Post

But in general, there is a positive atmosphere going on there now. The critcs reviews may have been mixed, but the majority of the fanbase seems to love it. Sounds good enough for me - rather that than the other way around! (like Harry Potter or King Kong)

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 3:09pm

Post #36 of 43 (183 views)
Shortcut
By the way [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking forward to hear your reactions after having watched AUJ Smile

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 14 2012, 3:09pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 3:55pm

Post #37 of 43 (210 views)
Shortcut
and not to be too much of a grinch... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really want to hear anything. Good or bad. You've just told me what people are thinking.

but I get it. People won't be able to keep themselves from saying *something*.

I don't think it's enough to avoid The Hobbit board. I will, in fact, have to avoid the Hobbit board avoiders thread and I will, likely - before it's over - have to avoid TORn. I'm already avoiding Doug's blog. (which is back up all you conspiracy theorists about why it was down for a day or two)

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 5:31pm

Post #38 of 43 (171 views)
Shortcut
Too many spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

There were too many moments in the movie where I thought "ah, this is the part I saw in the tv spot" or "this is the part I saw in the trailer". It was distracting. If I could do it all over again, I'd have not see either of the trailers nor any of the tv spots. Alas.

This is odd, too, cause I never had this problem with TTT or ROTK. Maybe it was the difference between seing the scenes in 2D vs 3D HFR?

I'm definitely reassessing how I'll handle TDOS spoilers. I may, alas, avoid TORN for most of next year.

Out of respect for Magpie and others, I will not share any thoughts on the movie here. I would love to discuss the movie with you, though, Magpie. I may not know you that well, but I definitely appreciate your insights, especially on things like the score. If you ever create a place to talk about the movie away from The Hobbit board, I'd appreciate an invite.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 5:47pm

Post #39 of 43 (204 views)
Shortcut
It's too much work to create! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did create a forum for discussing soundtrack lyrics and the tech side of it was a bit confusing (I kept getting my son in) and honestly, half the people I want to discuss with that I know won't post on any forum and I'm not looking to draw conversation away from TORn.

If I discuss it publicly, it will almost certainly be in the Monday Movie thread on Off Topic. I might discuss music on Doug's blog (since it would only be on topic on the Hobbit board here) but I'm not so sure I will there. I don't like the blog comment format of conversation. And I'm not going to be overthinking the music.

So I guess.. watch those Monday threads that deej starts.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 15 2012, 1:31pm

Post #40 of 43 (171 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh... the wait it over.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I've climbed the Misty Mountains! *geeky hand clapping* :D

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Rivendweller
Lorien

Dec 15 2012, 7:50pm

Post #41 of 43 (154 views)
Shortcut
I thought of our upcoming emails [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a wonderful experience going in spoiler free.

That is all....

Wink

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 15 2012, 9:52pm

Post #42 of 43 (167 views)
Shortcut
I am sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

"I don't really want to hear anything. Good or bad. You've just told me what people are thinking."

It was not my intent to spoil anything for you.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 15 2012, 9:53pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 16 2012, 1:20pm

Post #43 of 43 (251 views)
Shortcut
*smiles* Magpie... you are so precious :) Hang in there!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.