Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit Review: Amazing (5/5) SPOILERS

totoro
Lorien

Dec 16 2012, 5:52am

Views: 92
Shortcut
Hobbit Review: Amazing (5/5) SPOILERS [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie starts with Bilbo, on his 111th birthday, providing an introduction to dwarves and the dragon, who is recognized as the greatest threat of the age by just about everyone. (Gandalf and Radagast suspect something far worse in the Necromancer, but they are in the minority.) Erabor is beautifully rendered. The second time I saw AUJ, I did not have to adjust to the 48 fps so, for lack of a better expression, I was there. Stunning. Driven from their home of Erebor, the dwarves find they have no home in Moria, either, and we see a flashback to the battle in Moria where Thorin takes Azog's hand when Balin relays the story to the rest of the company later in the adventure.

After the initial flashback, old Bilbo lights up a pipe on a bench outside his house and we are taken 60 years into the past, where Bilbo is smoking a pipe on the same bench. He and Gandalf engage in the good morning routine. It is a beautiful little scene. I could not have hoped for a better recreation of the scene in a film medium. The dwarves show up and Bilbo is appropriately flustered. I do not understand the complaints about this portion of the film "dragging." PJ patiently lets you get to know some of the dwarves. Unfortunately, there are too many to really get to know them. You do get a good feel for who Dwalin, Balin, and Thorin are. Though less important, I think we also learn who Ori (innocent little child) and Dori (more sophisticated fellow) are. Bofur has some lines, but they don't let you learn who he really is. Fili and Kili come across as intended, I think, as energetic young men. Bombur is fat, which is really his only "purpose." Both times I saw the blunt the knives scene, I did not particularly take to it. It kind of took me out of the story like a classic musical will. Don't get me wrong, I love Les Miserable, songs and all, but I did not want that in my Hobbit. The misty mountains song did not have the same impact (I loved it). Nevertheless, none of the scenes dragged. Like I said, I cannot understand the critique.

Once we are out of the hobbit hole, the scenery, even the light forest that has relatively little grandeur, is amazing in 3d HFR. Especially the second time I saw the film, I was entranced by the quite normal tree branches. The dialog was funny and we learn a little more about the relationship between Fili/Kili and Thorin when he snaps at them for trying to scare Bilbo by talking about orcs. The troll scene is amazing. The camera angles let you feel like the trolls are on top of you. I guess you could call it a dwarf eye view. Wonderfully choreographed. I did not like how the fight ended. The dwarves did well enough for themselves, but then the trolls get hold of Bilbo and threaten to tear him apart. So the dwarves give up. Trolls eat dwarves. If you give up to prevent Bilbo from being torn apart, then you all get eaten. Who would do that? I found it somewhat annoying. I guess I didn't particularly like the way the dwarves were captured in the book, either; so perhaps PJ improved on the book ever so slightly.

Radagast is a nice little addition to the story. He has evidence of corruption, which is the result of Sauron (not mentioned by name) returning. His scenes are whimsical, but not stupid. It is true that when he does some magic he goes cross-eyed. He also takes a toke from Gandalf's pipe and smoke comes out of his ears. These things did not bother me (perhaps because I knew a guy who could make smoke come out of his ears--less extreme than the Radagast version, but this is a fantasy story, after all). When the company arrives at Rivendell and Gandalf meets Saruman, Radagast's discoveries are ignored because Saruman considers him a fool. The scene is great. The two elves and two wizards work well together. Saruman's explanation for disliking Radagast is funny without making Saruman look silly (his reasoning is that of a stuck-up noble); Gandalf's explanation of why he chose the halfling is really pretty cool. I enjoyed how the party was split from Gandalf in the movie better than the book.

Stone giants. Amazing.

Bofur and Bilbo have a nice little chat in a cave in the mountains before a trap is sprung to drop all of the dwarves into a pit. I rather enjoyed the bonding between Bofur and Bilbo. It established that Bilbo was giving up a lot to help the dwarves and Bofur, at least, got it.

The Goblin Town was amazing, start to finish. I liked the Goblin King, I loved when he sang. The escape scene had incredible choreography. The flow was great. I wouldn't say I was nervous about the dwarves escaping and I wasn't ever afraid, but that didn't make it less thrilling from a Disney Land ride perspective.

Gollum and Bilbo had the greatest scene. Book and movie. Gollum the cannibal was creepy as hell. His loneliness was also pretty apparent. I don't think they needed to ham it up quite as much when Bilbo was deciding whether to spare Gollum before his escape. It was already pretty clear that Gollum was a horrible monster who could still be pitied, particularly because we know what the ring did to him. A little crying did not make him any better or worse.

Bilbo finally bonded with everyone after they got out of the frying pan. He had a nice little speech about helping the dwarves reclaim their home. Then they noticed they were in the fire when the orcs closed and eventually treed them. I prefer the movie version of the treed scene to the book. Gandalf doesn't accidentally start a fire that appears to consume them as in the book. Rather, the fire drives the wargs back. When there is little hope left, Thorin charges Azog to try to take him out. Bilbo saves him. The dwarves charge and start fighting. Nobody really punks out. Then the eagles come to save them. No honor lost. Good scene. When Thorin hugs Bilbo at the end, all is well. Their home is in view in the distance. Beautiful ending.

A word on 3D HFR: I liked 3D HFR the first time I saw the movie. I had to adjust to the new format throughout, however. The second time I saw the movie in HFR, I was floored. Absolutely. Stunning. I never want to watch a film in 24 fps again. I am spoiled.

Subject User Time
Please post all Hobbit reviews within this thread. (Links to previous review threads within.) Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Dec 13 2012, 4:01pm
    73% on RT// Welsh hero Send a private message to Welsh hero Dec 13 2012, 4:04pm
    NEVER TRUST AN...CRITIC!! jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Dec 13 2012, 4:35pm
    Just saw it Wordofmask Send a private message to Wordofmask Dec 13 2012, 4:38pm
        The "Moria" flashback Hun200kmh Send a private message to Hun200kmh Dec 13 2012, 5:02pm
            No mention of the Balrog DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Dec 13 2012, 5:05pm
    Just saw it. Amazing. THE CRITICS ARE FULL OF S*** Crunchable Birdses Send a private message to Crunchable Birdses Dec 13 2012, 4:49pm
        overall its a big thumbs up Azog Send a private message to Azog Dec 13 2012, 5:02pm
        agreed jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Dec 13 2012, 5:04pm
        A good example - Richard Roeper gave it a C+ due to what he considers Eruonen Send a private message to Eruonen Dec 13 2012, 5:58pm
            I've been thinking about this lately... riverwalker11 Send a private message to riverwalker11 Dec 13 2012, 6:25pm
                I agree, but I also think the same applied to LOTR. Eruonen Send a private message to Eruonen Dec 13 2012, 7:57pm
        Saw it in 2D, and pretty much loved it all. Elfhelm Send a private message to Elfhelm Dec 13 2012, 10:14pm
            That "baddie" music... riverwalker11 Send a private message to riverwalker11 Dec 13 2012, 11:34pm
    I won't give a rating LoremIpsum Send a private message to LoremIpsum Dec 13 2012, 5:02pm
    Down to 69% on RT Mooseboy018 Send a private message to Mooseboy018 Dec 13 2012, 7:23pm
        I initially predicted 62% frodolives Send a private message to frodolives Dec 13 2012, 7:35pm
            69% on RT lowest i remember ElendurTheFaithful Send a private message to ElendurTheFaithful Dec 13 2012, 7:39pm
    Tomatometer has plunged into the 60s Crunchable Birdses Send a private message to Crunchable Birdses Dec 13 2012, 7:23pm
        Salon.com riverwalker11 Send a private message to riverwalker11 Dec 13 2012, 7:28pm
            wow, that Salon review is a mess unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Dec 13 2012, 9:32pm
        How ridiculous! It's a fantastic film. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Dec 13 2012, 7:47pm
            Back when ... Kierkegaurdian Send a private message to Kierkegaurdian Dec 13 2012, 8:16pm
                Ouch ... Kierkegaurdian Send a private message to Kierkegaurdian Dec 13 2012, 9:31pm
    this seems to be going in waves unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Dec 13 2012, 7:46pm
    The critics are right, and a bit a wrong. Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Dec 13 2012, 8:34pm
        nice review! unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Dec 13 2012, 8:44pm
            something to not forget Simon Send a private message to Simon Dec 13 2012, 9:06pm
    Hobbit Review - Defiantly one for LotR fans (4/5) Esmond Send a private message to Esmond Dec 14 2012, 2:41am
        Hobbit Review: Amazing (5/5) SPOILERS totoro Send a private message to totoro Dec 16 2012, 5:52am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.