Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The cowardice of Azog

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 12:30pm

Post #1 of 9 (823 views)
Shortcut
The cowardice of Azog Can't Post

I was really disappointed in the way Azog behaved when Thorin valiantly walked out to face his arch-enemy in the last scenes. Attacking Thorin with the warg was so dishonorable and cowardly. I thought even orchs had a sense of honor to battle man to well... um... monster.

I was expecting a great final duel between Azog and Thorin, so that was disappointing.

The Preciousss
Bree

Dec 13 2012, 12:39pm

Post #2 of 9 (435 views)
Shortcut
He was a coward the rest of the movie as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

sending out his horde to bring him the head. If he had honor (which is absurd for an orc) he would have told them to bring him alive so he could duel him.
I cannot remember an honorable orc or Uruk in the LOTR trilogy, so no surprise...

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 12:46pm

Post #3 of 9 (447 views)
Shortcut
I actually feel the opposite, to be honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it when cowardly villains actually act like cowardly villains. Him getting off his warg to fight Thorin in close combat would have been a stupid move and out of character, not to mention very cheesy.

It's the one thing Azog did that I liked. Smile

Erudryt
The Shire

Dec 13 2012, 12:52pm

Post #4 of 9 (387 views)
Shortcut
I actually feel the opposite, to be honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you.
I think vilains are better viliains when they act cowardly. For me, it's more a viliain spirit to tell to his guard to kill someone than doing it itself.

Captain Sassy Pants
The Shire

Dec 13 2012, 1:29pm

Post #5 of 9 (330 views)
Shortcut
Weird... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it when a movie actually sticks to the story it is based off of. Colour me crazy, I know.

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 2:10pm

Post #6 of 9 (292 views)
Shortcut
Telling your guards to kill someone [In reply to] Can't Post

is just what officers do.
Azog is not a nobody.
He is a chief orc, and a famous one.
Why would he kill everyone himself.
And since when not being heroic automatically means you are a coward.
There is room between those two notions in my mind.

Btw, after 6 days on this forum I finally saw the "check spelling" button. Cool
Will make me a bit more intelligible.

(This post was edited by Notanelvishname on Dec 13 2012, 2:12pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 2:26pm

Post #7 of 9 (274 views)
Shortcut
Lurtz was a coward as well when he faced Boromir. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 13 2012, 5:36pm

Post #8 of 9 (191 views)
Shortcut
Secondary orcs in AUJ (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to start a new threat (there a so many these days). I watched the film yesterday and as a fan of Fimbul (I really liked his design and the action figure) I looked after him and all the other orcs featured in the cast list. It is funny because if I hadn't looked for them I wouldn't have noticed them at all. Especially Azogs hunter orcs appeared as cannon fodder if you ask me. It seemed to me that all theses orc-parts were absorbed by AZOG himself.

FIMBUL
The orc that was called "Azogs master hunter" before (in books, figure descriptions and more) was, if I remember it correctly, only the third in command after Azog (1st) and Yazneg (2nd) and wasn't the orc I was looking for (a hunter that follows the paths of Thorin &Co)... also it seemed so that he was killed by the eagles in the end...
----> So there's no Fimbul in DOS or TABA hunting the company Frown

YAZNEG
First the chief hunter of Azog. Instead of Fimbul he seemed to be the "master hunter". Although his Lego figure rides on a white warg the script changes finished his life very early... eaten by wargs at Weathertop after (Darth Vader quote:) "failing [Azog] for the last time"
----> So there's no Yazneg in DOS or TABA hunting the company as well Frown

NARZUG
I have no f**** idea who he was. One of the hunter orcs yes... but which generic one of them? Perhaps the one who wanted to kill Thorin and was killed by Bilbo?
---> If yes... there's no Narzug in DOS or TABA hunting the company as well Frown

GRINNAH
Where the hell was Grinnah? The "intelligent goblin" that "secretly hates his master the Goblin King". Was it the one who stands before the Great Goblin saying about 2 words and then was killed by Gandalf or one of the dwarves? Really? Even Snaga (Jed Brophny/Nori) in TTT had more screentime and more lines. Hopefully there is a scene with Grinnah in the EE. But I'm sure he died.
---> If yes... there's no Grinnah in DOS or TABA appearing at the BOFA Frown

GOBLIN SCRIBE
Well... that was Kiran Shahs big debut as an actual actor instead of a size double? "Go and inform Azog!" and then he disappears. How long was it? 10sec? Nobody knows what happens to him after all.

GOLLUMS MEAL GOBLIN
What was his name? Although most of the time he seemed to be CGI (fighting) and later animatronic (lbeing pulled by Gollum) he had far more screentime than most of these "secondary" orcs... Oh wait there is no chance for him becoming an action toy because most of his screentime he lies on the ground and does nothing except moving his arm and being knocked out by a stone twice.
---> He died too so he wont be in DOS or TABA

I'm really looking forward to see BOLG... he looks more like a worthy enemy than theses guys and even more like an orc than his "father" who looks more like a Na'vi from Pandora (Avatar)... Perhaps WETA will design some new orc masks that look more like orcs than the others. We need more "hero orcs" because except Azog all (including the GREAT GOBLIN) died already in AUJ... hopefully new action figures as well because I only collect the orc-ones from AUJ.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2012, 7:16pm

Post #9 of 9 (153 views)
Shortcut
I was a bit surprised about this as well [In reply to] Can't Post

The action figures seemed to make such a big deal out of them, yet they're barely seen. My best guess is that a lot was cut and we'll see more of the different orcs and goblins in the extended edition.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.