Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some more BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 11:40am

Post #1 of 8 (272 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! Can't Post

Here's part 2 of a set of Book Spoilers that walks with Sam as he walks in Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen. Here's part 1

The Tower of Cirith Ungol: The Return of the King

... "He took off the Ring, moved it may be by some deep premonition of danger, though to himself he thought only that he wished to see more clearly. 'Better have a look at the worst... ...No good blundering about in a fog!'
... Hard and cruel and bitter was the land that met his gaze... ...but almost straight ahead, across a wide lake of darkness dotted with tiny fires, there was a great burning glow... ...Sam was looking at Orodruin, the Mountain of Fire. Ever and anon the furnaces far below its ashen cone would grow hot and with a great surging and throbbing pour fourth rivers of molten rock from chasms in its sides. Some would flow blazing towards Barad-dûr down great channels; some would wind their way into the stone plain, until they cooled and lay like twisted dragon-shapes vomited from the tormented earth. In such an hour of labour Sam beheld Mount Doom, and the light of it... ...now glared against the stark rock faces, so that they seemed to be drenched with blood.
... In that dreadful light Sam stood aghast, for now, looking to his left, he could see the Tower of Cirith Ungol in all its strength...
... ...Only too clearly Sam saw how hopeless it would be for him to creep down under those many-eyed walls and pass the watchful gate... ...But desperate as that road might be, his task was now far worse: not to avoid the gate and escape, but to enter it, alone.
... His thought turned to the Ring, but there was no comfort there, only dread and danger. No sooner had he come in sight of Mount Doom... ...than he was aware of a change in his burden. As it drew near the great furnaces where, in the deeps of time, it had been shaped and forged, the Ring's power grew, and it became more fell, untameable save by some mighty will. As Sam stood there, even though the Ring was not on him but hanging by its chain about his neck, he felt himself enlarged, as if he were robed in a huge distorted shadow of himself...
......He felt that he had from now on only two choices; to forbear the Ring, though it would torment him; or to claim it, and challenge the Power that sat in its dark hold beyond the valley of shadows. Already the Ring tempted him, gnawing at his will and reason. Wild fantasies arose in his mind; and he saw Samwise the Strong... ...striding with a flaming sword across the darkened land, and armies flocking to his call as he marched to the overthrow of Barad-dûr... ...and at his command the vale of Gorgoroth became a garden of flowers and trees and brought forth fruit. He had only to put on the Ring and claim it for his own, and all this could be.
... In that hour of trial it was the love of his master that help most to hold him firm; but also deep down in him lived still unconquered his plain hobbit-sense: he knew in the core of his heart that he was not large enough to bear such a burden... ...The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due... ...his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command.
... 'And anyway all these notions are only a trick... ...He'd spot me and cow me, before I could so much as shout out. He'd spot me, pretty quick, if I put the ring on now, in Mordor. Well, all I can say is: things look as hopeless as a frost in spring. Just when being invisible would be really useful, I can't use the Ring! And if ever I get any further, it's going to be nothing but a drag and a burden every step. So what's to be done?'
... He was not really in any doubt... ...With a shrug of his shoulders, as if to shake off the shadow and dismiss the phantoms, he began slowly to descend. With each step he seemed to diminish. He had not gone far before he had shrunk again to a very small and frightened hobbit."

[a bit more tomorrow]

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 1:58am

Post #2 of 8 (85 views)
Shortcut
A very important scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only for Sam's character and struggle, either. I think this is the only point in the book where we get a complete description of how the Ring tempts people by showing them a vision of themselves made powerful in a way that they might want to be. The closest we get in other scenes is Galadriel's description of what would happen to her if she took the Ring. Gandalf says the Ring could seduce him through his sense of pity and his desire to do good. Clearly the Ring's temptation is not generic but tailored to each person. We can only imagine what sorts of visions other characters who are tempted by the Ring might have. But Sam's vision makes it clear that each temptation is unique to the person in question.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 3:04pm

Post #3 of 8 (63 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part three, the last of a set of Book Spoilers that walks with Sam as he walks in Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

The Tower of Cirith Ungol: The Return of the King

... He was now passing under the very walls of the Tower, and the cries and sounds of fighting could be heard with is unaided ears. At the moment the noise seemed to be coming from the court behind the outer wall...
...He went on, hugging the wall on this left. One look upward had shown him that there was no hope of climbing it. The stone-work rose thirty feet, without a crack or ledge, to overhanging courses like inverted steps. The gate was the only way.
... He crept on; and as he went he wondered how many orcs lived in the Tower with Shagrat, and how many Gorbag had, and what they were quarrelling about, if that was what was happening... ...Almost certainly they were quarrelling about Frodo, and the spoil. For a second Sam halted, for suddenly things seemed clear to him, almost as if he had seen them with his eyes. The mithril coat! Of course, Frodo was wearing it, and they would find it... ...But the orders of the Dark Tower were at present Frodo's only protection, and if they were set aside, Frodo might be killed out of hand at any moment.
... 'Come on, you miserable sluggard!' Sam cried to himself. 'Now for it!' He drew Sting and ran towards the open gate. But... ...under its great arch he felt a shock: as if he had run into some web like Shelob's, only invisible. He could see no obstacle, but something too strong for his will to overcome barred the way. He looked about, and then within the shadow of the gate he saw the Two Watchers.
... They were like great figures seated upon thrones... ...carved out of huge blocks of stone, immovable, and yet they were aware: some dreadful spirit of evil vigilance abode in them. They knew an enemy. Visible or invisible none could pass unheeded. They would forbid his entry, or his escape.
... Hardening his will Sam thrust forward once again and halted with a jerk, staggering as if from a blow upon his breast and head. Then greatly daring... ...answering a sudden thought that came to him, he drew slowly out the phial of Galadriel and held it up. Its white light quickened swiftly, and the shadows under the dark arch fled. The monstrous Watchers sat there cold and still, revealed in all their hideous shape... ...but slowly he felt their will waver and crumble into fear.
... He sprang past them; but even as he did so, thrusting the phial back into his bosom, he was aware, as plainly as if a bar of steel had snapped to behind him, that their vigilance was renewed. And from those evil heads there came a high shrill cry that echoed in the towering walls before him....
... '...That's done it!' said Sam. 'Now I've rung the front-door bell! Well, come on somebody!' he cried. 'Tell Captain Shagrat that the great Elf-warrior has called, with his elf-sword too!'"

Remember this in the Trollshaws?

... "'Where did you come by that, Sam?' asked Pippin. 'I've never heard those words before.'
... Sam muttered something inaudible. 'It's out of his own head, of course,' said Frodo. 'I am learning a lot about Sam Gamgee on this journey. First he was a conspirator, now he's a jester. He'll end up becoming a wizard--or a warrior!'
... 'I hope not,' said Sam. 'I don't want to be neither!'"

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 3:22pm

Post #4 of 8 (76 views)
Shortcut
So true! [In reply to] Can't Post

That tailored temptation reminds me of how Galadriel herself seemed to tempt the Fellowship when they arrived in Lorien... though I'm sure her intrusion wouldn't end in doom and gloom except (maybe) for those with malice in their hearts in the first place ;)

Who would be better to display how the Ring tempts someone than through our dear Sam. So open, so clear, so steady... and its that sensibility and his devotion to Frodo that saves him, and saves Middle-earth. But it's also important that he experiences the Ring for himself. Now he understands what Frodo (and Gollum) is dealing with. There's nothing like walking a mile in someone else's... shoes(?)... to truly understand and empower.

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 15 2012, 1:28pm

Post #5 of 8 (61 views)
Shortcut

Here's a Book Spoiler that shows how to throw a Dwarf party... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From An Unexpected Party: The Hobbit

..."I suppose you will all stay to supper?" [Bilbo] said in his politest unpressing tones.
..."Of course!" said Thorin. "And after. We shan't get through the business till late, and we must have some music first. Now to clear up!"
...Thereupon the twelve dwarves... ...jumped to their feet, and made tall piles of all the things. Off they went, not waiting for trays, balancing columns of plates, each with a bottle on the top, with one hand, while the hobbit ran after them almost squeaking with fright: "please be careful!" and "please, don't trouble! I can manage...."
......everything was cleaned and put away safe as quick as lightning, while the hobbit was turning round and round in the middle of the kitchen trying to see what they were doing. Then they went back, and found Thorin with his feet on the fender smoking a pipe. He was blowing the most enormous smoke-rings, and wherever he told one to go, it went—up the chimney... ...behind the clock on the mantelpiece, or under the table, or round and round the ceiling; but wherever it went it was not quick enough to escape Gandalf. Pop! he sent a smaller smoke-ring from his short clay-pipe straight through each one of Thorin's. Then Gandalf's smoke-ring would go green and come back to hover over the wizard's head. He had quite a cloud of them about... ...and in the dim light it made him look strange and sorcerous. Bilbo stood still and watched—he loved smoke-rings—and then he blushed to think how proud he had been yesterday morning of the smoke-rings he had sent up the wind over The Hill.
... "Now for some music!" said Thorin. "Bring out the instruments!"
...Kili and Fili rushed for their bags and brought back little fiddles; Dori, Nori, and Ori brought out flutes from somewhere inside their coats; Bombur produced a drum from the hall; Bifur and Bofur... ...came back with clarinets that they had left among the walking-sticks. Dwalin and Balin said: "Excuse me, I left mine in the porch!" "Just bring mine in with you," said Thorin. They came back with viols as big as themselves, and with Thorin's... ...beautiful golden harp, and when Thorin struck it the music began all at once, so sudden and sweet that Bilbo forgot everything else, and was swept away into dark lands under strange moons, far over The Water and very far from his hobbit-hole under The Hill.
...The dark came into the room from the little window that opened in the side of The Hill... ...they played on, while the shadow of Gandalf's beard wagged against the wall.
...The dark filled all the room, and the fire died down, and the shadows were lost, and still they played on. And suddenly first one and then another began to sing as they played, deep-throated singing of the dwarves in the deep places of their ancient homes..."

sample

Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 15 2012, 5:58pm

Post #6 of 8 (77 views)
Shortcut
Now, I wonder why [In reply to] Can't Post

you've posted this particular moment? Smile

"Far over, the Misty Mountains cold..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 16 2012, 1:10pm

Post #7 of 8 (61 views)
Shortcut

Here's a Book Spoiler about missed meals and sore heels... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Not At Home: The Hobbit

... "Suddenly Bilbo realized that he was not only tired but also very hungry indeed. "It seems to be late morning... ...and so I suppose it is more or less breakfast-time—if there is any breakfast to have. But I don't feel that Smaug's front doorstep is the safest place for a meal. Do let's go somewhere where we can sit quiet for a bit!"
... "Quite right!" said Balin. "And I think I know which way we should go: we ought to make for the old look-out post at the South-West corner of the Mountain."
..."How far is that?" asked the hobbit.
... "Five hours march... ...It will be rough going. The road from the Gate along the left edge of the stream seems all broken up. But look down there! The river loops suddenly east across Dale in front of the ruined town. At that point there was once a bridge, leading to steep stairs that climbed up the right bank, and so to a road running towards Ravenhill. There is (or was) a path that left the road and climbed up to the post. A hard climb... ...even if the old steps are still there."
..."Dear me!" grumbled the hobbit. "More walking and more climbing without breakfast! I wonder how many breakfasts, and other meals, we have missed inside that nasty clockless, timeless hole?"
... As a matter of fact two nights and the day between had gone by... ...since the dragon smashed the magic door, but Bilbo had quite lost count, and it might have been one night or a week of nights for all he could tell.
... "Come, come!" said Thorin laughing—his spirits had begun to rise again, and he rattled the precious stones in his pockets. "Don't call my palace a nasty hole! You wait till it has been cleaned and redecorated!"
... "That won't be till Smaug's dead," said Bilbo glumly. "In the meanwhile where is he? I would give a good breakfast to know. I hope he is not up on the Mountain looking down at us!""

sample

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Dec 16 2012, 1:27pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 16 2012, 1:23pm

Post #8 of 8 (174 views)
Shortcut
moi? ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.