Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Finally had time to make my dwarf-woman beard :-)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 1:24am

Post #1 of 19 (329 views)
Shortcut
Finally had time to make my dwarf-woman beard :-) Can't Post

After greendragon interviewed Richard Armitage and the conversation got around to the idea that the next fashion trend might be beards for women, I decided to make me one. Only I was in the throes of grading final exams, and didn't have time. But my grades are in, and today I had time. The hat is one I had made a long time ago. dwarf-woman beard

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 13 2012, 1:37am

Post #2 of 19 (94 views)
Shortcut
LOVE it! :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

PattyJB
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 1:49am

Post #3 of 19 (103 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is so lovely. And no itching while it grew in, either. Wink

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 1:55am

Post #4 of 19 (111 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! I read your post in the other thread, [In reply to] Can't Post

and went hunting for this one to reply in. What a pair we are! =)

You were braver than I was! I was too afraid of tangling issues to make my beard more realistic, though I do still plan on adding some fringey bits to the knitted base. My own hair tends to get snarled on and wrapped around anything within 2 feet of my head. :/

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 2:00am

Post #5 of 19 (114 views)
Shortcut
Here's a link to your post in that thread, so people can see yours. [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn's beard. I really loved the helmet, and thought about trying to copy it, but decided to save a lot of time and just use the hat I already had.

Yarn's pretty good about not tangling when it's cut to lenghths like that. I made a long wig for a rag doll once, and it's stayed untangled pretty well. And you can comb it with your fingers if it does tangle.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Dec 13 2012, 2:03am)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 2:09am

Post #6 of 19 (111 views)
Shortcut
I think your hat works perfectly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very much in keeping with the original detachable party hoods.

The yarn might be good about not tangling, but my hair will always manage to get tangled up in it! ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 2:29am

Post #7 of 19 (94 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry your hair's tangly. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not that happy with mine: it's thin and ratty looking. But at least it doesn't tangle. I can almost always get a comb through it without any problem. I suppose you could braid your hair before you put on the hat.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 2:47am

Post #8 of 19 (111 views)
Shortcut
Prizes, Precious!! [In reply to] Can't Post

2 first prizes for you and Eowyn both!

This made my day.LaughLaughLaugh

Sings: "Isn't she lovely . . ."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 13 2012, 4:17am

Post #9 of 19 (132 views)
Shortcut
A hirsute pursuit! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that is a beard to make any beard-lovin' fella jealous! It does look nice - is it all braided, or is there some knit-work in there as well?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 8:10am

Post #10 of 19 (75 views)
Shortcut
That is FANTASTIC! [In reply to] Can't Post

How long did it take you to make? I want one! Sly

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Rolfina
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 12:20pm

Post #11 of 19 (70 views)
Shortcut
Very sexy! [In reply to] Can't Post

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 2:11pm

Post #12 of 19 (73 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Well done! // [In reply to] Can't Post

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 4:33pm

Post #13 of 19 (59 views)
Shortcut
The underlying structure is crocheted. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's rather like a hospital mask, except of course with an opening for the mouth. The strands of yarn are tied onto that. Not that much of it is braided, just the moustache and the central portion of the beard.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2012, 4:35pm

Post #14 of 19 (53 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's awesome! Are you [In reply to] Can't Post

going to wear it to the premiere?

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 4:40pm

Post #15 of 19 (52 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

the hat is one I made long ago. It must have taken the better part of a day.

I made two of the crocheted foundations for the beard. One I kept as it was to use as a kind of ski mask while hiking in very cold weather. It took me about four hours, because I was figuring it out as I went along. (I don't use patterns when I crochet. I just do a bit, hold it up to my head, and adjust as I go.) The second one, to which I tied the yarn, only took half an hour or so, because by then I'd figured out how to do it right. Tying on the yarn probably took a couple of hours, or maybe three. I tend to lose track of time when I'm doing things like this, and only realize it when the gnawing in my stomach tells me I forgot a meal. It's the only time I ever forget a meal. Anyway, the whole operation was between 9 AM and 7 PM, but I was doing other things too, like taking breaks to play my harp.

If you want a pattern, see the link above to EoPW's post. She used a pattern and links to it, I think.

They do have them for sale online too, link. The photos of the plain face coverings are like my first attempt. The prices I found were what convinced me I needed to just make one. I had all the yarn on hand, so I didn't have to spend any money, and it didn't increase the volume of stuff in my house, both of which were good things.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Dec 13 2012, 4:41pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 4:53pm

Post #16 of 19 (66 views)
Shortcut
That's my plan :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

You've seen my silly elf hat. I wore that to all the showing of LotR as well as to mini-moots. So I'm thinking of wearing my beard to the Hobbit showings. Only I'm going to wait a week or so before I go, to see if the Metrolux gets their equipment figured out. The last three times we've gone they couldn't get the digital projectors to work right. Twice they got it going eventually, half an hour late, and the third time they couldn't get it working at all and had to give us refunds.

Maybe your family and ours could get together for one of the showings.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2012, 5:58pm

Post #17 of 19 (97 views)
Shortcut
Oh, so THAT's what happened... [In reply to] Can't Post

I took Beamer and my Hobbit to Rise of the Guardians (fun movie - far better than I had expected it to be) and we had to complain to the staff to get the focus fixed. Thankfully, they got it resolved before the movie started.

It'd be great to see TH together! I really wanted to take the kids this weekend, but it's just too hectic around here - wall-to-wall events and holiday prep. Check your PMs!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 6:52pm

Post #18 of 19 (66 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it! Laugh

You look really good with a beard, if you don't mind me saying so. Hopefully this will become the new fashion trend. Beards - not just for blokes anymore!

For what it's worth, I've been holding off on trimming my beard until after the premiere, so it's relatively long and Dwarf-like right now. Not Gandalf or book-Thorin long or anything, but much longer than movie-Thorin!

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 5:49am

Post #19 of 19 (148 views)
Shortcut
I don't at all mind your saying so. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the kind words :-) Maybe women really should start wearing beards.

I've always loved the way men look with beards. My husband grew one for me when we were courting, back in 1976, and he's never shaved it off. He does trim it, though. He looks like Santa Claus now. My brother and my son also have beards.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.