Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Radagast the brown (spoiler heavy)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Briar
The Shire

Dec 12 2012, 10:11pm

Post #51 of 58 (235 views)
Shortcut
Not just Old Norse, [In reply to] Can't Post

But Old English names are used as well in Middle Earth. The language of the Rohirrim is essentially Old English, and names like Theoden, Eowyn, and Eomer use components of Old English names.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2012, 10:48pm

Post #52 of 58 (209 views)
Shortcut
Oh and a spiritual being, and a pony... [In reply to] Can't Post

But obviously not, on any account, a hedgehog.

To paraphrase Banksy "All Tolkien fans are prepared to fight for his work. But why are so few prepared to open the books and look anything up"

LR

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2012, 10:51pm

Post #53 of 58 (200 views)
Shortcut
Well said, Lightice. [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast showed his power well when facing down the Nazgul. However, anyone not familiar with the Nazgul from LOTR wouldn't know the numbing terror that they hold for almost everyone. Thus, that brief scene in The Hobbit (where, at face value, we see a somewhat bumbling wizard face down an apparition) may not reveal Radagast's power as well as if we had already seen (in The Hobbit) how terrifying the Nazgul are.

I liked Radagast well enough, though I'm not really sure his inclusion was necessary. The bunny-sled was a little silly: bunnies, even Rhosgobel ones, just can't run as fast as regular wolves, let alone Wargs. The one bit that really bothered me, though, was that Radagast basically saved the Dwarves from the orc attack, but then disappeared and is never mentioned again. Shouldn't the Dwarves at least have said amongst themselves that they were grateful for his help, and then -- more importantly -- shouldn't they have wondered what happened to him? Whether he did escape the orcs unscathed or not? That just bugged me.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 12:25am

Post #54 of 58 (178 views)
Shortcut
If you may be Interested..? [In reply to] Can't Post

"All Tolkien fans are prepared to fight for his work. But why are so few prepared to open the books and look anything up" 

Thank You.. for all of us oldsters...

Artemis Roach
Bree

Dec 13 2012, 12:37am

Post #55 of 58 (158 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of oldsters [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember back in the mid-1980s there was a Wizard in Cathedral Square (Chch), standing on a small perch at lunchtime waving his fingers and hollering diatribes against feminists and war, who I always imagined was Gandalf. He was surrounded by a small coterie of regular hangers-on, especially a guy in a head-to-toe red nylon rain-suit who had seagulls perched on his head and shoulders, with seagull poop all over him. (I shall have to retrieve the photos some day.) It never occurred to me it was Radagast.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 15 2012, 6:17am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 5:14am

Post #56 of 58 (141 views)
Shortcut
From what I have heard, the battle may be explained in a manner too damned subtle by half [In reply to] Can't Post

. I will know better tomorrow at about this time. But I have heard it told that Azog retreats desperately wounded into The East Gate, whereupon an "unexplained" firelight fills the doorway and entrance hall of The East gate, with the scene not lasting much beyond that. While in no way in no way excusing the alterations of having Azog live, and having Thror die at the Azanulbizar battle (entirely upending the KEY REASON for the damned war in the first place), it may well be that they have given the only good and plausible excuse for Azog escaping the wrath of The Dwarves after the battle (and one which the Appendecies vaguely imply that Azog himself may have intended): namely, that Azog flees into Moria and The Balrog comes down towards The East Gate. The problem is, you have to know virtually EVERYTHING about Moria and the battle before seeing the scene, in order to make sense at what they might be hinting at. As one can be too clever, one can also be to subtle. I think that may be the case here. From watching Fellowship, we know that this filmmaking team has used unexplained, sudden, hall illuminating, fireglow as a way to herald the coming of The Balrog of Moria. From The Appendices, we know that Azog did flee to The East Gate once he saw all the orcs slain or routed, and that after catching and slaying him, Dain looked through the gate and saw The Balrog, after which he came down from The East Gate "gray in the face, as one who has felt great fear," and declared to Thrain that the dwarves were not to enter Moria, for "beyond the shadow, It waits for you still, Durin's Bane. . ."

If the scene goes thus, then it sounds like the filmmakers are floating an alternate history where Azog reaches the inside of the gate, and finds relative safety hiding behind the "skirttails", or shadows, and flames, of a Demon of Might. But they don't bother to give any of the detail, and you have to already have all the underlying information to even make a reasonable hypothesis. They might expand upon it in the upcoming films. We may get further flashbacks of exactly what happen, and whether Thorin and the dwarves saw something within The Moria Gate that terrified them so badly as to forgo the pursuit of Azog. . . at least within the flims account.. . . in the same way that it terrified them into forgoing any attempt to reclaim Moria, at least for the next century or so.

In Reply To
There are a few of those scenes in there and they just make you wonder what his grand vision for The Hobbit is. As we all know the story really well, we know that the events to come will be way more grave and serious, and my fear is, that this first installment might be too disconnected with the other parts.

I actually look very much forward to the extended edition. There are so many subtle things left unexplained. For example the oakenshield, and azanulbizar. This scene disappointed me a little bit. Just seemed way to short, and important things were left out. On top of that they had changed some rather important things in it.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Rolfina
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 2:00pm

Post #57 of 58 (112 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so tired of this repetitive Jar Jar comparison. Very unoriginal criticism. Personally, I didn't find Radagst any more annoying than I did Treebeard. The Goblin King however, I had my issues with. Mainly with his language, that was too un-goblinish for my taste.

totoro
Lorien

Dec 15 2012, 6:19pm

Post #58 of 58 (83 views)
Shortcut
I loved Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not understand the Jar Jar comparison. The only similarity is that Jar Jar was in a blockbuster prequel, and so was Radagast. Oh, and both are males.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.