Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Please post all Hobbit reviews within this thread. (Links to previous review threads within.)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Bexlin
Rivendell

Dec 12 2012, 9:23pm

Post #51 of 65 (347 views)
Shortcut
What an intelligent review! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to see such a well thought out and thorough review!

MediaMalable
Bree

Dec 12 2012, 10:34pm

Post #52 of 65 (342 views)
Shortcut
The Backlash to the Backlash [In reply to] Can't Post

Nerd central AintItCoolNews has just posted an extremely positive review, to counteract the earlier negative one posted by another member of their staff.

I think we're now seeing people get over the knee-jerk reactions, and avoiding the bandwagon, by recognizing the film on its merits.

Here's the link.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59986

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2012, 10:52pm

Post #53 of 65 (297 views)
Shortcut
AintItCoolNews is pretty annoying, [In reply to] Can't Post

especially their comments section. But i've been waiting for this review because the first review was so full of hate, and i knew that Harry Knowles was gonna end up loving it. It's good to keep an eye on the crazies. Thanks for posting!

Artemis Roach
Bree

Dec 12 2012, 10:59pm

Post #54 of 65 (275 views)
Shortcut
Still awaiting his verdict [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
especially their comments section. But i've been waiting for this review because the first review was so full of hate, and i knew that Harry Knowles was gonna end up loving it. It's good to keep an eye on the crazies. Thanks for posting!

We don't know what Harry thinks, as he hasn't posted his review yet. (The link was to Nordling's review.) I hope Harry loves it, but even if he does, over half his readership will accuse him of being a shill. That's just the way things roll on the AICN talkbacks.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2012, 11:04pm

Post #55 of 65 (280 views)
Shortcut
What did you think of the Dwarves' song in Bag End? [In reply to] Can't Post

Those couple minutes of singing, more than any other bit for me, stood out: haunting, yearning, grim, and the moment I'd been waiting for when I could finally feel fully immersed.

And I thought Thorin owned the screen whenever he was on it. Richard Armitage was extremely well-cast for that role. I was realy impressed with him.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 12 2012, 11:22pm

Post #56 of 65 (260 views)
Shortcut
When they sang, I forgot I was watching a movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't speak higher than that, really.

Armitage was superb, I thought. He's angry and hurt, and utterly loyal to those who are loyal to him.

A surprise for me was Ken Stott: His Balin was a delight and the character had more nuances than most of the other Dwarves were able to show (given the time constraints among 13 Dwarves).

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2012, 11:22pm

Post #57 of 65 (269 views)
Shortcut
Just read that AintItCool review, [In reply to] Can't Post

and it was pretty good. He (Nordling, not Harry) unabashadly loved it, but was able to see what some of the critics were talking about. But it's funny, whenever i read a review there, i always read some of the talkback (until it gets to be too much spiteful bickering). When i read the previous, hate-filled review, all the first talkbackers were all "right on man, someone finally speaking the truth and not up Jackson's @$$." This time, with the review full of love, all the talkbackers couldn't say enough good things about LotR, P.J. LotR or The Hobbit. Where do these people come from?

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2012, 11:32pm

Post #58 of 65 (255 views)
Shortcut
Top critics really hate this film. The rest seem to like it a lot... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just looking at the difference between "Top Critics" and the rest on Rotten Tomatoes is striking to say the least...

I'm also noticing a rather disturbing amount of criticism for Tolkien's story, rather than the film. Have some of these critics never read Tolkien?

"Deliberate pace"?...Interesting. I mean, you read The Lord of the Rings, and the Professor will spend 30 pages describing the intricacies of a door before moving on. These films move lightning fast compared to some of the source materials sections.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Dec 12 2012, 11:44pm

Post #59 of 65 (227 views)
Shortcut
down to usually 74% on RT [In reply to] Can't Post

It's kinda hard to move up when top critics summarize their reviews with:

"It all just takes so long."

MediaMalable
Bree

Dec 12 2012, 11:45pm

Post #60 of 65 (228 views)
Shortcut
Jeff Cannata [In reply to] Can't Post

Totally Rad Show host Jeff Cannata will be reviewing The Hobbit on Attack of the Show tomorrow, but meanwhile.... he LOVES IT!

http://www.youtube.com/...bDM8JAlOA9GHSoJTigkQ

Here's his ecstatic, backlash-refuting review. Spoiler free.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 12 2012, 11:58pm

Post #61 of 65 (224 views)
Shortcut
"The Look" (reposted for elanesse) [In reply to] Can't Post

I just came back home from watching The Hobbit in 2D and 24fps. I decided to start with this option, because i'm not a big fan of 3D and i imagine 48fps must be very disturbing for my taste of film aesthetics.

Anyway...i would say i liked the film, although there were some pointless dialogues. I had a good time.

BUT

I absolutely don't like how the make movies nowadays. Maybe it's digital cinema, maybe it's the RED camera.

There are too many details, a lot of scenes look like videogames. And the colors are at some points very unnatural and too strong. And the lightning...many scenes were too bright, too much light. Especially the scene with Gollum. I'm okay with the humour, but it wasn't scary, not at all!And then...too much CGI...Azog...Goblins...sure, they lookbetter then 10 years ago but still, prosthetics, real actors, make-up and miniatures look better.

The Hobbit feels very unreal and emotionally it didn't the things that FOTR did with me, although there are many paralells between those films.

I'm going to watch it next week again in 3D and 48fps, just to see how i is...

7 of 10 points

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 13 2012, 12:15am

Post #62 of 65 (208 views)
Shortcut
Be of good cheer! (reposted for dalecooper) [In reply to] Can't Post

I know the reviews aren't quite as strong as hoped for, and it initially made me question the existence of God and all that too. But I tried to take a broader overview today. As of right this moment, TH:AUJ stands at 76% on Rotten Tomatoes. That doesn't compete with the LOTR movies but it's far from bad - it's in the meaty part of the curve above the "Fresh" line, and it's a solid rating for a blockbuster movie in my experience. It appears to be trending upward as more reviews come in, too. Also, if you look at the reviews submitted so far, two of the main complaints are these: 1. The 48 FPS is irritating. That really is almost the ONLY complaint in some of the negative reviews; the reviewer lets it dominate the entire experience. If you personally see it in 24 FPS (which most of us will) or see it in 48 but like it that way, this take on the movie means nothing to you. And 2. The movie's too long and too faithful to the book. I don't see many of us around here crying many tears over that one. It may bore a general audience or cost the movie a few million in box office, but personally I am quite fine with an hour of dwarf-songs and Shire setup. That kind of stuff was the best part of "Fellowship" to me, maybe the best part of the whole trilogy, and I've been looking forward to more of it ever since.

I would also add that most of the reviews I've read from serious fans of the book and of the LOTR trilogy seem to really like this movie. I'm happy to hear that; it interests me a great deal more than the opinion of any random critic who may not care a bit about either one, and is judging things by a set of standards entirely unlike my own.

So: it's the holiday season and we're getting the gift we wanted (most of us, anyway): a Hobbit movie directed by PJ with a damn fine cast and seemingly a lot of reverence for the source material. Be of good cheer!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 13 2012, 12:48am

Post #63 of 65 (164 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad you got to go! [In reply to] Can't Post

So the babysitting worked out. What did NZ Strider think of the movie?

Miss all of you, and I have pictures I need to share.Smile

And Belated Happy Anniversary! I was thinking of you, remembering your amazing wedding.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 7:18am

Post #64 of 65 (157 views)
Shortcut
Azog is already quite dead by the time The Hobbit takes place. lol [In reply to] Can't Post

But Peter wasn't interested in that particular detail. lol

In Reply To
Thanks! I'll correct that. I seem to have come across his name in "Unfinished Tales" as well.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

mefansmum
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 8:37am

Post #65 of 65 (126 views)
Shortcut
Confirming impressions. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this link is pointing to page 3 so don't forget the first two pages.

This reviewer is expressing many thoughts on the movie and its reception that I have been forming from the many and varying sourced reviews and articles I have read.

Can't wait to find out for sure.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.