The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Gandalf's glowing green smoke rings...to anyone who has seen AUJ

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2012, 5:49am

Post #1 of 13 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf's glowing green smoke rings...to anyone who has seen AUJ Can't Post

a previous member has me nervous if PJ did not include this in AUJ, has anyone who has seen the film tell me if this is included?

Owned.

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 12 2012, 5:51am

Post #2 of 13 (573 views)
Shortcut
I do not recall there being any green smoke rings. Very little smoke rings of any kind from Gandalf. // [In reply to] Can't Post

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2012, 5:54am

Post #3 of 13 (596 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

hopefully in the extended edition there will be green smoke rings.

Owned.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 12 2012, 8:22am

Post #4 of 13 (522 views)
Shortcut
Is this in [In reply to] Can't Post

Bag End, or later on?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 12 2012, 11:36am

Post #5 of 13 (478 views)
Shortcut
In the Book..page 13.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"..Found Thorin With his feet on the fender smoking a pipe. He was blowing the most enormous smoke-rings and wherever he told him to go it went up the chimney or behind the clock on the mantelpiece, Or under the table or round and round the ceiling but wherever it went it was not quick enough to escape Gandalf. Pop! He sent a smaller smoke ring from his short clay pipe straight through each one of Thorin's.

then Gandalf's smoke-ring would go green and come back to hover over the wizard's head. He had a cloud of them about him already, and in the dim light it made him look strange and sorcerous. Bilbo stood still and watched he loved smoke -rings -- and then he blushed to think how proud he had been yesterday morning of the smoke-rings he had sent up in the wind over The Hill....

INTERESTING?..Extended Edition..in 3D?..PrettyPleasePJ?
you are our only hope...

xoxo.. Bomby...

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Dec 12 2012, 11:41am)

FiliSonOfDis
Rivendell

Dec 12 2012, 5:21pm

Post #6 of 13 (382 views)
Shortcut
Feels like a perfect scene for the extended edition [In reply to] Can't Post

not really moving the story along or much characterization, but a scene fans would appreciate. I think that's the perfect extended edition material.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 12 2012, 7:59pm

Post #7 of 13 (337 views)
Shortcut
he also makes colourful smoke-rings at Beorn's in the book! [In reply to] Can't Post

but in AUJ none. He uses his finger as a lighter, though. Tongue

Lil Shire-ling
The Shire

Dec 12 2012, 8:15pm

Post #8 of 13 (364 views)
Shortcut
Blowing smokes [In reply to] Can't Post

Fret not!

Yes, there *is* indeed a smoke puffing scene rather early on in the movie. Except it was neither glowing nor green nor colorful, I don’t think (and, yes, I agree that perhaps the Extended Edition would bring us all that infamous greenish tint Crazy eventually)...

*But* it wasn’t made by Gandalf! The smoke ring, puffed by the Old Bilbo of "LOTR" we’re all familiar with and love (Sir Ian Holmes), grows and grows and grows, then blurs and blends and softly and gently brings the audience to the Young Bilbo (Martin Freeman), that we will know and *will* love, of the movie we’ve come to watch, "The Hobbit."

This little transition scene has got to be, to me, the most clever and totally creative couple of seconds (if that) of the movie! Kudos to PJ! I definitely wasn’t expecting that at all!

Don’t blink, or you will miss it.

(This post was edited by Lil Shire-ling on Dec 12 2012, 8:22pm)

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 12 2012, 8:28pm

Post #9 of 13 (339 views)
Shortcut
there's another scene [In reply to] Can't Post

where Gandalf makes a smoke ring which gets destroyed by a flying plate in Bag-End !

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 12 2012, 8:38pm

Post #10 of 13 (344 views)
Shortcut
I can't tell if you're joking? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does this really happen?

I'm sure someone guessed this would happen months ago. Let me have a search!

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 12 2012, 8:40pm

Post #11 of 13 (333 views)
Shortcut
It was Bombadil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Linky

Shocked

Lil Shire-ling
The Shire

Dec 12 2012, 9:15pm

Post #12 of 13 (332 views)
Shortcut
No, not a joke.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I’m not sure if your post was directed at me or not, but I’m taking liberty to answer that post as well: Yes, there’s another scene later on at night in Bag End when the Dwarves busily and heavy-handedly (try to) clean up after themselves following a sumptuous meal at the homeowner’s expense, while Gandalf is enjoying his pipe, watching the busy bees at work, playfully and in tune, and taking it all in, when all of a sudden a plate flies by and shatters the smoke ring he just puffs... Not a single piece of earthenware, not even a spoon, was dropped, however, during the whole house chores that the Dwarves, too, apparently have fun at while singing their hearts out. And after all that effort, the messy dishes end up in several big piles on the dining table—arranged and perhaps more organized, but still a huge pile of mess. Yet in the morning, when Bilbo wakes up to find out all the "guests" have quietly removed themselves, his Bag End is returned to its normal state, perhaps even better, since it now looks so much cleaner. So courteous and thoughtful, these Dwarves! (Wonder if Gandalf had anything to do with it.)

But the other creative transition scene was the one that registered in my mind... Very well done!

(This post was edited by Lil Shire-ling on Dec 12 2012, 9:19pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 12 2012, 10:07pm

Post #13 of 13 (351 views)
Shortcut
"At your service"..DLB..No one pays any Attention to Bomby? anymore.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Writing in 3rd person
Never using the noun..
"I".. shortened Haiku
style margins...
seems not
kosher
Anymore..

Bomby will take his act back
to the OldForest...
And leave all the "video-gamers
Generation". to their own devices..

While Tending to the Barrowrights.
Someplace quiet...
where Bomby
can finish
his book.

" 45 years Bomby has waited..
Yet now, No time..to explain
Why Bomby writes Bomby's
way...."
Heart

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Dec 12 2012, 10:09pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.