Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
FREE BEER! No, not really, it's SCOD, but did I get your attention? :)

zarabia
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2012, 3:06am

Post #1 of 6 (733 views)
Shortcut
FREE BEER! No, not really, it's SCOD, but did I get your attention? :) Can't Post

I know most folks are breathlessly anticipating December 14th. I'm not sure what they are looking forward to... but anyway, while you are waiting, why not take some time to note this really fine performance by Miranda Otto. (BTW, her Birthday is December 16th - so Happy Birthday, Ms. Otto!! Smile)

As I was going through this week's library of screencaps - most of which were of that dramatic exchange between Eowyn and Aragorn, "What do you fear, my Lady?" "A Cage" - I was struck by the wonderfully subtle changes in Ms. Otto's expression from cap to cap. So, maybe I'm cheating a bit here, but I am presenting a series of shots of Eowyn. You are, of course, free to comment on whatever you want, but I was interested in hearing your thoughts on the transformation of Eowyn during the course of this scene.

Thanks, everyone! Smile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

elevorn
Lorien

Dec 12 2012, 3:36pm

Post #2 of 6 (218 views)
Shortcut
Oh Miranda [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say I absolutely LOVE her performance!! She is Eowyn to me even when I read the book, not to mention she is just stunningly beautiful and oh my that accent. You girls can have Viggo, I'll take Miranda any day lol. And yes my wife knows all about my imaginary love affair.

He lines I feel are just well written and she delivers them with that cold nature you would expect to hear in Eowyn's voice. A woman who has been confined in the courts her whole life whilst her warrior spirit pines for heroism and adventure. Adding to that are the loss of her parents and cousin. Such a great performance. The costuming is great as well. The whole design or Rohan was so well done in TTT. The care and design into each peice of costume and item is so evident in the movie. You believe you are there.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 12 2012, 10:15pm

Post #3 of 6 (159 views)
Shortcut
Hehe, glad to know I'm not the only one here who loves Eowyn/Miranda!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 1:32am

Post #4 of 6 (119 views)
Shortcut
I had already been won over to Miranda's performance [In reply to] Can't Post

but I do remember thinking that she was remarkably good in this scene with the sword. In general, for some reason or other, I think the filmmakers and performers were inspired by Rohan and especially by the Edoras setting. Howard Shore's music for these scenes stands out from a generally wonderful score. Bernard Hill's performance as Theoden was one of my favorites, and the interactions between him and Eowyn were all very touching. Mount Sunday tends to be one of the favorite locals for fans, whether they have traveled there or just hope to someday. I visited there myself, and though I didn't get a chance to climb the hill, I was in a small plane that flew around it several times. The surrounding mountains are so spectacular that most people assume they were added via CGI, but they are all really there.

I just wish that the extended edition of THE RETURN OF THE KING had given a little more time to Eowyn's romance with Faramir.

zarabia
Grey Havens

Dec 14 2012, 7:32am

Post #5 of 6 (89 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Glad you enjoyed my choice of screencaps :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have liked to have posted caps of Aragorn as well. But, for one thing, the lighting doesn't do him any favors in this sceneUnsure, and I really was struck by the subtlety of Miranda's performance. Even between pics 2 and 3, which at first glance seem to differ only in the position of the sword, there is a hint of wonder in her eyes. Great stuff.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Dec 14 2012, 7:33am)

zarabia
Grey Havens

Dec 14 2012, 7:43am

Post #6 of 6 (488 views)
Shortcut
Agreed...and jealous [In reply to] Can't Post

I very much agree about Rohan and about Eowyn's interactions with Theoden - so moving! And yes, I wish they had shown more of the growing chemistry between Eowyn and Faramir. The way it is, it almost seems like he's a consolation prize rather than someone who has truly earned her admiration.

And about seeing the actual location - Wow...just wow! Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.