Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Just watched it, answering any questions!

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 12 2012, 3:00am

Post #1 of 15 (967 views)
Shortcut
     Just watched it, answering any questions!  

I just came back from the midnight premiere of The Hobbit:AUJ. On the whole I was satisfied with the movie. There were a few alterations to the source material for sure, but at it's core it was a very faithful adaptation. I saw it in HFR 3D, next time I'll see it in 2D to compare the experience. I thought the 48 fps looked great for the most part after getting used to it after the prologue sequence!

Oh and, the film was incredibly well-paced. I couldn't disagree more about the "padding" or "slow-paced" comments by critics. The first hour was indeed slow-paced, but in a very good way - they did not rush the scenes at Bag End which was a relief,

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 12 2012, 3:06am)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 12 2012, 3:09am

Post #2 of 15 (411 views)
Shortcut
     There's a thread for people asking questions, [In reply to]  

if you'd like to post there and share with us?

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=538973;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

" 'Twas a near thing!" said Spam. "Came nigh to a-spoilin' me pantaloons."

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 12 2012, 3:14am

Post #3 of 15 (375 views)
Shortcut
     I am sorry [In reply to]  

It's 4.15 AM in the morning and I barely looked at the other threads. Didn't realize there is a thread for this. Until this thread is closed, though, ask away whatever you all like!

Username4242
Bree

Dec 12 2012, 3:17am

Post #4 of 15 (419 views)
Shortcut
     Couple questions! [In reply to]  

1. How faithful to the book was it? I'm not much of a purist, but did it feel like The Hobbit should?

2. Performances: I've heard Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, etc. lauded. What were your thoughts on them?

(This post was edited by Username4242 on Dec 12 2012, 3:18am)

Username4242
Bree

Dec 12 2012, 3:20am

Post #5 of 15 (375 views)
Shortcut
     And, another. [In reply to]  

What was the most obscure bit of Tolkein mythology that you caught?

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 12 2012, 3:23am

Post #6 of 15 (439 views)
Shortcut
     Answers [In reply to]  

1. Well, it's very faithful. The only "major-ish" change is that there is a big action set piece where the company is chased by orcs and wolves after going through the loot at the troll-hoard, and that Radagast joins up with the company at this moment for a brief time to hand over the morgul blade to Gandalf. Then of course we have the Necromancer-subplot, but that's another fiver. Very few things are cut from the book. In fact, I was pleased over the fact that so much book-material survived - many lines (many more than in the LOTR trilogy) are taking directly from the book. Even "A hole in the ground" and "Bullroarer Took and how golf was invented" survived, to my delight!

2. They were great. Armitage shows his quality from early on, and Freeman is portraying Bilbo just the way most of us wants him to.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 12 2012, 3:25am

Post #7 of 15 (418 views)
Shortcut
     The stone giants [In reply to]  

Not a big fan, be it in book-form or movie-form.

Simon
Rivendell

Dec 12 2012, 3:43am

Post #8 of 15 (349 views)
Shortcut
     about the 48 [In reply to]  

Did you notice Benny hills movements or this statement is a little exagerated?

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 12 2012, 3:50am

Post #9 of 15 (333 views)
Shortcut
     I cannot answer that... [In reply to]  

Because I don't understand what that means. Cool

Simon
Rivendell

Dec 12 2012, 3:55am

Post #10 of 15 (306 views)
Shortcut
     LOL [In reply to]  

Tongue ...ok...wait...look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GErfzp4KujM

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 12 2012, 3:55am

Post #11 of 15 (277 views)
Shortcut
     Yes. However that thread has dropped to page 2, so starting a new one is fine // [In reply to]  

Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 12 2012, 3:58am

Post #12 of 15 (309 views)
Shortcut
     Heh! [In reply to]  

Now I get what you're saying! It's true, it felt like this for the first couple of minutes, with the scenes involving old Bilbo and Frodo. After that, I was so immersed in the story that I barely noticed anything about the 48 fps that bothered me.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 12 2012, 3:59am

Post #13 of 15 (269 views)
Shortcut
     Apologies, I reposted the "Questions" thread, [In reply to]  

before I saw your reply, Altaira.

" 'Twas a near thing!" said Spam. "Came nigh to a-spoilin' me pantaloons."

Simon
Rivendell

Dec 12 2012, 4:00am

Post #14 of 15 (279 views)
Shortcut
     but please... [In reply to]  

It was not that fast...please...i'm affraid now! Wink ...must have some smoothness and some realism in the movements?

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 12 2012, 4:55am

Post #15 of 15 (236 views)
Shortcut
     Please see questions/spoilers thread above. Thanks! [In reply to]  

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.