Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What I fear will happen now...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 11 2012, 1:35pm

Post #51 of 71 (167 views)
Shortcut
A Good Thing [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant It's more impressive if you do it yourself. I've seen what Google Translate does and sometimes it isn't pretty. Spell check is good. Grammar and context check is not. ;)

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 1:51pm

Post #52 of 71 (158 views)
Shortcut
You are right. It was confirmed before Comic Con. [In reply to] Can't Post

But in my mind they were talking of a five weeks additional shooting.
Now it is over a period of three months...
The initial additional shooting was the typical pick-up/back up shooting that Jackson always schedule when he shoots a movie.
But three months...you can shoot a whole movie in three month...
But anyway, as you said maybe we will learn more in the extended edition. Smile

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 1:55pm

Post #53 of 71 (155 views)
Shortcut
"It's more impressive" [In reply to] Can't Post

If I embarrass myself on my own ? Laugh

Yep Google translate cannot beat me at that game...Cool

imin
Valinor

Dec 11 2012, 1:58pm

Post #54 of 71 (150 views)
Shortcut
I never said i wanted a shorter film [In reply to] Can't Post

i said that they could be better films if made shorter. I have not seen it so i cannot say either way but from the few reviews i have seen - they have all commented on the fact the film is overly long.

The ROTK in my opinion was a little too long - i think looking back that film would be a good choice to split into two films, or cut back to a shorter running time.

There are loads of films out there with running times which are too long - look at king kong from an example from PJ. If it were shorter it would make the film flow better and be a better film.

It is simply saying if everyone thinks the film is too long then there is nothing wrong with having them shorter - a two hour film is still the standard length for a movie - its not a short movie. It may even make the film overall better.

Nobody asked after fotr as it was a film with very little woffle - was from one place to the next - as there was enough material to cover it - in the eyes of the audience - we on here will feel there is enough material in the hobbit, plus PJ extras hence how you didnt feel it was too long.

If the general audience feel its too long, then i would not be surprised if the other two films have some more editing done to them - this doesnt have to be seen as the end of the world - it can make films better - going off the reviews so far i imagine i will come out thinking as a film it was too long, as a fan of middle earth it was the right length - that make sense?

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 2:17pm

Post #55 of 71 (146 views)
Shortcut
Yes that makes a lot of sens. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if I don't agree with you...Wink

Even people complaining the film was too long, seemed to quite like it.

As it was stated elsewere, the studios don't care at all if it is too long or too short.
They care about numbers.
How much will the movie makes.
If people like it they will see it multiple times.
Too long or not.

Your remark about an additional screening if shorter is smart but wrong.
To have another screening every day you should cut 35 to 40 minutes to each movie.
It means more than one hour of story at the end.
That's a lot for a movie already scripted and shot...

And if you were right, studios coulds also be tempted to add an additional screening if the movie is doing extremely well...
Cause in the movie business time is the essence.
The more seats you sell the first to weeks, the more money you will make.
That's the reason why blockbusters now open with more than 4'000 theaters.

That is just my opinion of course. Wink

But hey, I am not adverse to shorter films. I just like my Middle Earth trip to be as long as humanly possible. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 2:25pm

Post #56 of 71 (143 views)
Shortcut
I always thought it was 3 months? [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

imin
Valinor

Dec 11 2012, 2:25pm

Post #57 of 71 (147 views)
Shortcut
I think the length of the film [In reply to] Can't Post

Will not affect me either negatively or positively over whether i think the film is good or not, there will be others things which are more important to me, such as the tone of the movie. Also i am hoping the extra material created is up to par with what Tolkien wrote and obviously hope that it has been adapted in a good way.

Ultimately i would rather the film be a little too long than too short but i can understand why to the general audience it may be seen to be milking it - it is a long film after all, lol.

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 3:54pm

Post #58 of 71 (130 views)
Shortcut
You are as knowledgeable as me, even more. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I had this memory of a press release by a producer at Warner, aknowledging for the third movie, a release date, and announcing that Warner will give PJ more money and more days of shooting...
But as long as I cannot find these press release...
You are probably right.

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 3:56pm

Post #59 of 71 (126 views)
Shortcut
This time I agree on everything. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2012, 4:10pm

Post #60 of 71 (126 views)
Shortcut
The difference between King Kong and The Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that the whole of the story of King King originates with a very short, simple, mostly one-dimensional story (i say this as a HUGE fan of the '33 film, and as an admirer of Jackson's version). So when it came time to expand this world, there just wasn't enough story or character to support it. The world of Jackson's Kong is incredible- his (and Weta's) New York is amazing, and Skull Island wonderous- and it's two main characters beautifully brought to life. But look much further-- sub-plots, secondary (and tertiary!) characters, extranious action-- and things get a bit thin, and boring.

With The Hobbit, the world that Tolkien created was huge. So if you want to expand the film beyond the book's story, you have heaps of material to draw from, all written by the original author, all of it already well-thought out, considered and integrated into the larger world. And most importantly, all this "extra" material is stuff that we Tolkien fans, for the most part, really want to see.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 4:13pm

Post #61 of 71 (119 views)
Shortcut
Carne will know! Let's hope he is reading this ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2012, 5:33pm

Post #62 of 71 (110 views)
Shortcut
I hope so, [In reply to] Can't Post

because i'm confused about this whole thing. I know that P.J. always plans pick-up shoots, but to leave the BoFA for that seems odd. And it sure seemed that in the vlogs, when shooting was done, it was done-- i never heard anything about another entire block of shooting. Maybe when they made the decision to add a third film, but before it was announced, they were still in the middle of shooting, so they moved anything needed for the third film for next year and concentrated on stuff for the first and second fims? But i also remember hearing one of the actors, Martin Freeman i think, say that they first heard about the third film on the final day of shooting. And they can't very well plan a third movie requiring another 2-3 months of shooting without knowing if the actors are even available, much less having things like scheduling and contracts worked out. So none of this makes sense to me. Not a big deal really, i just love all this behind-the-scenes, making-of stuff.

imin
Valinor

Dec 11 2012, 9:32pm

Post #63 of 71 (92 views)
Shortcut
The film (King King) [In reply to] Can't Post

is over 3 hours long. If it were as one dimensional as you say why didnt the director (PJ) realise this and edit it to a more suitable length?

This is the argument that will be made against PJ, especially as most of his films are too long, verge on being too long.

Now as we are big fans we wont mind. But if you are going out of the hype generated or because you liked the LOTR movies when they were released - i.e. less invested in ME than people on here then i think its fair to say the running time could be a problem - it already has been for critics - also take a look at some of the fresh reviews - they have quite a few negatives in, many many comment on the running time being a negative - the film feels ponderous they say.

Overall though i expect more people will like it than not.

Also i expect people on here to love it - especially TORn where negative reviews of things are seen as being a NARF

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 10:03pm

Post #64 of 71 (85 views)
Shortcut
Yes, as a long time lurker [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that Carne can settle that.

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 10:13pm

Post #65 of 71 (84 views)
Shortcut
To explain the bloated King kong [In reply to] Can't Post

I will quote Harry Knowls of the infamous Ain't it Cool website.

When you sit around and you think of your favorite films. Or, more specifically – the film that impacted you most. The one that gave you the emotional lift that possibly altered your entire way of thinking. A film that is your obsession, compulsion and that film that makes you glow in that zealot manner when you talk to others about it. For a few of us Kong fans, that’s KING KONG. No one more so than Peter Jackson. He’s thought about, not so much about remaking KING KONG – as much as offering up his dream of KING KONG. Because that’s what this is.

For when you walk into a theater playing his KING KONG, you’re not walking into a film quite like any film you’ve seen before. You’re walking into gobs of loving detail and passionate takes on the Rosetta film, from which this was pulled. This is a film about a life long pursuit to celebrate the joy of adventure, fantasy filmmaking. This is Peter Jackson so in love and happy that he’s throwing caution to the wind and just making the movie that he’s dreamt an entire life about making.

imin
Valinor

Dec 12 2012, 12:28am

Post #66 of 71 (82 views)
Shortcut
Someone should make an edited version. // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 12 2012, 8:39am

Post #67 of 71 (78 views)
Shortcut
And what a great time to de-lurk! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you stick around. Smile

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 12 2012, 9:11am

Post #68 of 71 (70 views)
Shortcut
Thank you ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Took me eleven years. Now I am here to stay ! Smile

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2012, 11:10am

Post #69 of 71 (63 views)
Shortcut
I didn't find Kong bloated. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the few it seems.

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 12 2012, 8:47pm

Post #70 of 71 (49 views)
Shortcut
Don't get me wrong. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have some love for Kong.
It is just this feeling that PJ just wanted to show the raltionship between Kong and Darrow and some awesome fights against giant monsters, but felt obliged to put one houre of..."nothing" before that to earn some respectability.
But he doesn't show any interest in what hapens in New York and on the boat. Worse all the character work he build in the first hour is trown away just after that.
But after that not so great first hour the film is great.

Artemis Roach
Bree

Dec 12 2012, 9:01pm

Post #71 of 71 (64 views)
Shortcut
Kong was awesome. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kong is one of the greatest homages and valentines in the history of movies. Loved every minute of it. And I am not alone. Roger Ebert awarded it 4 Stars and concluded his review with a single, precise sentence. "This is one of the year's best films."

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/...212/REVIEWS/51203002

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.