Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Exil Noldor-to Aman or to Tol Eressea?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Nerven
Rivendell

Dec 22 2012, 8:32pm

Post #51 of 55 (227 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel took an active part in the rebellion, so even mighty Galadriel is tainted.

really never got what Galadriel rebellion was. She left Aman. Thatīs true, but werenīt all free to leave? The Valar said something like, freely you have chosen to come here, freely you can go, but still the ones who didnīt attend the kinslaying were baned. Makes no sense for me.

Galadriel did nothing except leaving Aman. If that is a crime, or reason to be cursed and banned, then Aman would be a jail.

Nerven
Rivendell

Dec 22 2012, 8:41pm

Post #52 of 55 (245 views)
Shortcut
Exil [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that quote from Of The Rings Of Power And The Third Age?

If so it could date to before the Waldman letter in any case, generally worded or not.

Of The Rings Of Power And The Third Age (in existence by 1948): 'From the Grey Havens the Eldar ever an anon set sail (...) '... for by the mercy of the Valar the Firstborn could still follow the Straight Road and return, if they would, to their kindred in Eressea and Valinor beyond the encircling seas.' 1977 Silmarillion

Yes, itīs earlier than the Waldmen letter. Frown So again, no proof.

My question would be, WHY did he change his mind about that matter. (if that was his last concept regarding the exils, if we leave ut what he earlier wrote)

First he had the opinion that they could not return to Valinor, or only visit, then it seems they could go where they wanted and then suddenly he again doest want them to go to Valinor without restrictions. And after the Waldmen letter he never again was explicit about that.

(This post was edited by Nerven on Dec 22 2012, 8:49pm)

Elthir
Gondor

Dec 22 2012, 9:15pm

Post #53 of 55 (267 views)
Shortcut
Good question [In reply to] Can't Post

I question Tolkien on why he wanted to make Galadriel 'unstained' and remove her from the Rebellion, for example. I think I know at least part of what his answer might be [JRRT liking comarisons to the Virgin Mary, maybe], but thankfully [with respect to my approach as to what constitutes the 'true' internal story], he had already published description concerning her ban.

It's the much better Galadriel in my opinion, the penitent Rebel.

Sorry, I know none of this answers your question Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 23 2012, 2:38am

Post #54 of 55 (248 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, something like that [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure it's less than 100 years. I could get up and get my book, but I'm currently lying on the couch and don't want to get up Shocked

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

Nerven
Rivendell

Dec 23 2012, 12:21pm

Post #55 of 55 (641 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

I question Tolkien on why he wanted to make Galadriel 'unstained' and remove her from the Rebellion, for example. I think I know at least part of what his answer might be [JRRT liking comarisons to the Virgin Mary, maybe], but thankfully [with respect to my approach as to what constitutes the 'true' internal story], he had already published description concerning her ban.

It's the much better Galadriel in my opinion, the penitent Rebel.

Yes, he seems to like Galadriel very much, later in his life, so he doesnīt want her anymore to be on the Valar baddies-list. I nevertheless like her later version too, in that she still would be banned.

Didnīt he write anywhere that he doest want there to be resentment between the Valar and Galadriel?

(This post was edited by Nerven on Dec 23 2012, 12:22pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.