Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit Screenwriter Reveals A Story Recycled From Lord Of The Rings For A New Hobbit Character
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Finrod
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 8:46pm

Post #26 of 43 (423 views)
Shortcut
The winning entry is. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty sure this is Bombadil recycled into Radagast.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 10:29pm

Post #27 of 43 (305 views)
Shortcut
Xena? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe she's talking about the dropped subplot of Arwen, Warrior Princess from early in The Two Towers production. That's the only thing i can think of.

Mahtion
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 10:41pm

Post #28 of 43 (318 views)
Shortcut
Who is Elros? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe Elros is an elf lord who takes the role of Elladan/Elrohir and Glorfindel. No idea really. Just curious how much of the mounted elf riders we get to see in action.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 10:52pm

Post #29 of 43 (276 views)
Shortcut
Where else is Elros mentioned? He was... [In reply to] Can't Post

the brother of Elrond, and chose to be mortal (being half elf and half human). Elrond had the same choice and chose to be immortal as an Elf. Elros was the first King of the Dunedain, and Aragorn's ancestor.

So I doubt he would be in The Hobbit, unless it has been mentioned elsewhere?

" 'Twas a near thing!" said Spam. "Came nigh to a-spoilin' me pantaloons."

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 11:29pm

Post #30 of 43 (275 views)
Shortcut
She says it's from the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Xenarwen" isn't from the book.

* crunch *

Mahtion
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 11:32pm

Post #31 of 43 (251 views)
Shortcut
There is supposedly another Elros [In reply to] Can't Post

It was mentioned a while back and an actor was credited with the name in the cast, not much more than an overgloriifed elf extra.

The real Elros is of course the twin brother of Elrond, sons of Earendil and Elwing. I also know they have Sindarin blood from Dior and Noldorin blood from Turgon along with both houses Hador/Haleth and Beor of the Edain and of course partly Maiar blood from Melian.

Of course Elros chose mortality and became the first king of the Numenoreans who Aragorn via Isildur is descended.

I will have to find some links regarding the mention of the movie Elros.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 11:34pm

Post #32 of 43 (250 views)
Shortcut
Oh, [In reply to] Can't Post

missed the 'from the book' part.

Lysanor
The Shire

Dec 10 2012, 11:34pm

Post #33 of 43 (241 views)
Shortcut
And ten cats too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Queen Berúthiel anyone? Laugh

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 11 2012, 2:43am

Post #34 of 43 (224 views)
Shortcut
*Dons pair of specula-ctacles* [In reply to] Can't Post

First thought upon reading the Boyens quote:

Kili spots Tauriel in the woods, calls "Tinuviel! Tinuviel!" (shudder)

*grasps for something more palatable*

OR

During a quiet moment, Tauriel says to Bilbo: Do not meddle in the affairs of
Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. (I still hold onto my "pet theory" about Tauriel and Bilbo becoming friends)

OR

Tauriel ends up playing Goldberry to Radagast's Tom Bombadil???? (Facepalm). *erases vision from brain*

OR

Tauriel ends up slaying, say, Bolg, during Battle of Dol Goldur. (Unlikely she'll be there) thus playing Glorfindel the Balrog-Slayer, but instead becomes Tauriel the Bolg-Slayer. *ducks* (no, this is not from LOTR, its the Sil.)

OR

Running out of ideas folks. I'm afraid my first thought seems most likely, unfortunately! Crossing fingers for choice #2 above.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Dec 11 2012, 6:33am

Post #35 of 43 (187 views)
Shortcut
I second that motion! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see her fight the witch-king to a standstill, then prophesy that he will not be killed by the hand of a man. Note also that the books refer to Glorfindel becoming a helper to the Istari. If, as the TV previews suggest, Radagast encounters the nazgul in Dol Guldur, she could be involved in the effort to drive the nazgul from Mirkwood. Didn't PJ's interview also say that there will be some further Mirkwood storyline filming? Perhaps this refers to Tauriels storyline.

OUT ON A LIMB: It will be Tauriel who presents Radagast's staff to Gandalf.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

totoro
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 7:12am

Post #36 of 43 (189 views)
Shortcut
Luthien? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sorry if this was already posted. I looked but didn't see it.

Excerpt:

According to Boyens, "There was a story that both Fran and I loved in The Lord of the Rings that didn't make it into the film," and when it came time to writer The Hobbit the screenwriters realized they could take that story and reshape it as Tauriel's. When I asked her which story she wasn't sharing any further details, but allowed that fans of the original books will recognize the story-- and promised me "Wait until you see Evangeline Lilly. She is an elf."

http://www.cinemablend.com/...Character-34504.html

So what do you think she is referring to?

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 11:42am

Post #37 of 43 (146 views)
Shortcut
Crazy cat lady! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel sends her cats into battle. Sly

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 11 2012, 1:19pm

Post #38 of 43 (130 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure they remember that anymore! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 11 2012, 4:49pm

Post #39 of 43 (98 views)
Shortcut
If Luthien, [In reply to] Can't Post

then one needs a Beren (Man). Bard? The Master of Laketown?

" 'Twas a near thing!" said Spam. "Came nigh to a-spoilin' me pantaloons."

Mahtion
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 4:49pm

Post #40 of 43 (106 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel must be Glorfindel [In reply to] Can't Post

According to the article, the character mentioned is Tauriel. Therefore we can eliminate talk of Radagast or others. Now it says hardcore fans of LOTR will recognize her story taken from a warrior elf. It is also mentioned that Tauriel is an elf with emphasis on her being an important and powerful elf among the great elf lords, perhaps their epitomization. The only story about elf lords not told in LOTR was Glorfindel and Elladan/Elrohir. Glorfindel makes sense as others have said because of the Dol Guldur subplot and the mention of the Witch-king of Angmar. Also Glorfindel's character and history has already been canabalized for Arwen rescuing Frodo and contending with Ringwraiths. It only makes sense then that other parts of Glorfindel's story be further capitalized for other elf characters.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 5:55pm

Post #41 of 43 (84 views)
Shortcut
Gan-Buri-Gan [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

totoro
Lorien

Dec 12 2012, 5:45am

Post #42 of 43 (70 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes. Glorfindel. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
According to the article, the character mentioned is Tauriel. Therefore we can eliminate talk of Radagast or others. Now it says hardcore fans of LOTR will recognize her story taken from a warrior elf. It is also mentioned that Tauriel is an elf with emphasis on her being an important and powerful elf among the great elf lords, perhaps their epitomization. The only story about elf lords not told in LOTR was Glorfindel and Elladan/Elrohir. Glorfindel makes sense as others have said because of the Dol Guldur subplot and the mention of the Witch-king of Angmar. Also Glorfindel's character and history has already been canabalized for Arwen rescuing Frodo and contending with Ringwraiths. It only makes sense then that other parts of Glorfindel's story be further capitalized for other elf characters.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2012, 10:15am

Post #43 of 43 (92 views)
Shortcut
Which article are you reading? [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't make any mention of the majority of things you say here.

LR

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.