Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?

deej
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 2:35pm

Post #1 of 16 (231 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 10 2012, 2:52pm

Post #2 of 16 (144 views)
Shortcut
I'm a little ashamed to confess . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

now that I have DirecTV I've gotten hooked on silly Hallmark Christmas movies. Apart from the one that shamelessly ripped off "Sliding Doors," they all follow the same basic pattern:
  • We meet the protagonists & learn about their issues (they're either in the wrong job, with the wrong person, or hate Christmas because of some family issue).
  • The protagonists "meet cute" but either dislike each other on sight or circumstances (like they're both with other people) don't let them follow up.
  • More about their individual lives & frustrations.
  • They meet again & again & finally begin a tenuous relationship/friendship.
  • Something happens to drive them apart; usually a misunderstanding.
  • They both realize they belong together.
  • Their issues get miraculously resolved - if they hate their job, the Best. Job. Ever. magically is offered to them, for example. (My favorite is the woman who does nothing more than paint a mural in a bar and gets offered a gallery show where everyone buys all her paintings, immediately establishing her as New York's hot new artist.)
  • In the last 5 minutes they meet up, confess their feelings, and kiss.

Often there is an adorable child involved, or a sweet old person. There's also a sassy black/gay friend (sometimes both) who dishes out good advice.

I'm eating them up like candy. Sweet and absolutely no nutritive value.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 10 2012, 3:18pm

Post #3 of 16 (85 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, so I'm a little better just because I don't choose to watch them. My mom loves Hallmark movies and especially Christmas ones. She's been watching them almost nonstop since Thanksgiving. And since I like to study in the living room, I usually end up watching them as well.

You completely nailed them with your description. They're all two hours long (with commercials) so when you get to the hour and a half mark, you know the big misunderstanding is coming that drives them apart. Happens every time!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 3:19pm

Post #4 of 16 (94 views)
Shortcut
Looper [In reply to] Can't Post

It's at the second run theaters now.

It was an interesting movie. It was kind of like they combine a few different generic story types into one plot and the story seemed to move from one type to another. So, it started out with type A, switched to B, and ended with C.

But, I didn't find it difficult to follow at all. And for all that I realized - hey, we're in a different type of story now - I still enjoyed it and didn't mind going in a different direction.

There were a few things that they needed to sell us on for us to believe the storyline and I think they did. It was violent at times with a few shots being a bit bloody although not in any sustained way. With that caveat, I'd recommend this movie. The overall 'message' of the film is positive and I think the actors, especially Emily Blunt and Pierce Gagnon who played her 5 year old son (and was, depending on when Looper was filmed, only 5-7 years old himself), were quite good. Bruce Willis kind of does himself. He's one of those actors who seems to mostly do himself and we seem to accept it so... there you are. The movie had a few Die Hard feeling moments in it. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 3:37pm

Post #5 of 16 (129 views)
Shortcut
Being John Malkovich ( there be spoilers ahead...) [In reply to] Can't Post

While this Spike Jonze directed movie is very strange, it is also very funny and much more complex than the basic 'plot' would appear on the surface. Imagine if you will.....you get a job as a file clerk in an office building and are told to go to floor 7 1/2....the ceiling is very low and you have to slouch over just to get around ( it is half a floor after all ). On this floor you stumble upon a small door that when travelled through, places you in the mind of the actor John Malkovich for 15 minutes at a time until you come flying out of the sky on the side of the New Jersey turnpike.

If you can grasp all of that, the film actually presents topics as varied as sexuality, possession, identity, consciousness, and privacy. Surprisingly, the film is not very dark in tone and actually quite funny with spirited performances from an almost unrecognizable Cameron Diaz, John Cusack, Katherine Keener, and yes, John Malkovich ( who is brilliant ).

I love this movie !

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 5:02pm

Post #6 of 16 (80 views)
Shortcut
The Polar Express [In reply to] Can't Post

for the most part atleast. It was on TV and I came in a little late. Really enjoyed it, though. I was in a bit of a rut at the time (exams and such, ugh), and it lifted my spirits good and proper. Smile Might have to think about picking it up on DVD.

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 10 2012, 8:13pm

Post #7 of 16 (87 views)
Shortcut
Being Elmo [In reply to] Can't Post

My daughter was up for the weekend. After going with a friend to Skyfall, she and my husband went out to rent a movie. She said she was in the mood for another spy thriller, but what she picked out was a documentary on the puppeteer who played Elmo on Sesame Street. It was a very entertaining video, but it was hard to keep out of my mind the recent allegations about Kevin Clash. Our daughter told us "Don't tell me, I don't want to know." So we didn't.

I've also seen two more episodes of "The Lizzie Bennet" diaries since last week (they come out on Monday and Thursday.) Today's episode featured Mr. Bennet's model train that he sets up for Christmas. And Lydia planning a party while the folks are away, to celebrate her 21st birthday. As the top comment below the video had it, "Something Wickham this way comes."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2012, 10:16pm

Post #8 of 16 (67 views)
Shortcut
One of my favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this movie, and watch it every year or so. Cameron Diaz is so great, I didn't recognize her at first.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Dec 11 2012, 1:23am

Post #9 of 16 (66 views)
Shortcut
13 hours of LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

That includes all the break times. The marathon started at 11 AM and finished at midnight. There were decent breaks between each film so that you could leave the theater and walk that shopping center and/or get outside food.

There were only about 40 people in the theater .... lots of sotto voce dialog muttering from those around me.

Seeing it again in the theater was great but almost too much of a good thing.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 11 2012, 1:30am

Post #10 of 16 (66 views)
Shortcut
I almost went... [In reply to] Can't Post

but, in the end, decided against it. Those individual showings of the extended cuts last year were taxing enough - I don't think I could make it for 11 or more hours.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 2:10am

Post #11 of 16 (65 views)
Shortcut
Me Too! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I can't believe how much I still laugh, gasp, and cry. It never fades! These films really REALLY must be seen on the BIG SCREEN with BIG MUSIC and BIG SOUND whenever possible!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2012, 6:12am

Post #12 of 16 (50 views)
Shortcut
I can't help but think of this reaction to Being John Malkovich [In reply to] Can't Post

Two characters from one of my favorite shows are discussing meta film making. Here's one comment on Charlie Kaufman.

Don't worry, it's only 4 seconds :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jajTaT6Xx4E

BTW, I've always wanted to see that but never got around to it.Unsure

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

(This post was edited by zarabia on Dec 11 2012, 6:17am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2012, 6:27am

Post #13 of 16 (49 views)
Shortcut
The Station Agent [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a low key dramedy starring Peter Dinklage before his Game of Thrones days. I saw this when it came out and really enjoyed it. Considering the fact that it's a fairly low budget, indie type film, I was surprised to see it on TV. Maybe the fact that Dinklage has become well known had something to do with it.

Anyway, it covers some of the same territory as Lost in Translation - which came out the same year - such as loneliness and isolation, but I liked Station Agent better.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

imin
Valinor

Dec 11 2012, 11:35am

Post #14 of 16 (54 views)
Shortcut
The Muppets Christmas Carol [In reply to] Can't Post

An absolute Christmas classic and a tradition with my old housemates to watch this before we all leave to go back to our families.

I think i have watched this film every single Christmas for as long as i can remember.

None do it as well as the Muppets - if you havent watched it and you want to get in the Christmas mood, then i would say definitely watch it :) I am now feeling so Christmassy! lol.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 11:46am

Post #15 of 16 (42 views)
Shortcut
The best Christmas film! [In reply to] Can't Post

You know it's Christmas when you watch this film. *thumbs up* Laugh

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 12 2012, 3:24pm

Post #16 of 16 (112 views)
Shortcut
Charlie Kaufman can be a bit much at times.... [In reply to] Can't Post

and 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' is the only other film of his I remember fondly, but Being John Malkovich is a true gem. I hope you get a chance to see it someday, if only for the epic dance Malkovich does in the film Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.