Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
When should I go to get good seat?

PWOKristy
Bree

Dec 10 2012, 6:01am

Post #1 of 14 (575 views)
Shortcut
When should I go to get good seat? Can't Post

Hello,

To get a good seat, what time, ahead of time, should I go for this spectacular, upcoming movie? What time do ya guys suggest? Thank you very much!

There should be women, in the 3 upcoming movies! Period.

hobbithobbit

Dec 10 2012, 6:14am

Post #2 of 14 (272 views)
Shortcut
EARLY!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is going to be a HUUUUUUGE movie, so I bet there will be looong lines. If you have free time, I'd go HOURS before your showing to line up.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 8:03am

Post #3 of 14 (231 views)
Shortcut
Is queing for seats a big thing in the US? [In reply to] Can't Post

I did have my seats reserved for my original screening. I changed it to a HFR screening, and did't have to book my seats. In the UK, I can't imagine people being there until 15-30 minutes before you need to be,

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 11:05am

Post #4 of 14 (194 views)
Shortcut
Ya, it's a big thing over here. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least in Cleveland, Ohio. I'm going to the theatre at 8 for the midnight showing. I remember arriving a little bit after 9 for the midnight of ROTK and I was still in the last first quarter of the line.

Even arriving 4 hours before the show, I don't expect to be first in line.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 10 2012, 2:34pm

Post #5 of 14 (194 views)
Shortcut
Saturday at the theater...the manager told Bomby. [In reply to] Can't Post

The lineup starts at 8 inside.

Glůin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 2:40pm

Post #6 of 14 (180 views)
Shortcut
Half an hour for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I already have my tickets (for a cinema in the UK, which, not coincidentally, is the country I'll be in at the time). I'm hoping to be in my seat at least 30 minutes before the performance is scheduled to begin. For one thing, I usually try to devour an entire large popcorn before the film starts, and that can take a bit of time...

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 3:22pm

Post #7 of 14 (157 views)
Shortcut
Like jtarkey was saying, it's a big thing here for the popular shows [In reply to] Can't Post

The earliest I've been in line for a show is 6 hours. I'd prefer it if we could reserve seats like you do over there, but it is what it is.

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 4:55pm

Post #8 of 14 (114 views)
Shortcut
Yup, I'll get there early-ish to get a good seat [In reply to] Can't Post

But certainly not hours beforehand!

I can't imagine the cinema will even be open before the film starts.

Finrod
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 10:02pm

Post #9 of 14 (91 views)
Shortcut
Queue early [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But certainly not hours beforehand!

I can't imagine the cinema will even be open before the film starts.

Why would that stop people from queueing up early?

I didnít get to the opening showing of the Return of the King until 75 minutes before they opened the cinema, so I ended up sitting in row 2 or 3. Miserable.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 10:06pm

Post #10 of 14 (89 views)
Shortcut
It's just a different mentality [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Why would that stop people from queueing up early?

I didnít get to the opening showing of the Return of the King until 75 minutes before they opened the cinema, so I ended up sitting in row 2 or 3. Miserable.

Why queue, when you can just turn up on time? I don't know about the US, but people here always turn up 5-10 minutes after the film has started. We're just more laid back. Tongue

That's not to say I won't turn up early.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 12:24am

Post #11 of 14 (97 views)
Shortcut
Anyone know about Saturday mornings? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to a 10:00am HFR showing on Saturday the 15th. Any ideas of when to go to get a good seat at this time of day?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 2:15am

Post #12 of 14 (75 views)
Shortcut
I'll be at the theatre at 10:30 [In reply to] Can't Post

on Thursday night for the 12:01 show. I don't think my seat for this show will be very good because I'm heading the line party... which means I won't be standing in line ;) But you really do want to go as early as possible. Remember that most theatres will open the doors to the shows and allow seating at least 1/2 hour before the movie starts; but it may be different for those first few days.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 11 2012, 2:19am)

Recoveryanonymous
The Shire

Dec 11 2012, 5:45am

Post #13 of 14 (61 views)
Shortcut
It's probably best [In reply to] Can't Post

to reserve tickets in advance.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 6:41am

Post #14 of 14 (198 views)
Shortcut
I remember queuing for seats in the olden days [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a really strong memory of standing for ages in the hot sun in the queue for 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' as a child. We finally got to the front of the queue, and out came the 'sold out' sign. We went to see Star Wars again instead, which I was perfectly happy about.

When allocated seating first came in I hated it. I couldn't stand the idea of someone telling me where to sit. But now I rather like it: If it's going to be busy, I can book good seats online and then just turn up. If it's off peak I can just turn up a few minutes before the film starts and get a good seat. And when the theatre is very quiet, I can ignore the seat allocation and pick my own spot at will.

I cannot stand the idea of having to turn up super early and stand in a line.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.