Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Altaira: hijacking this to start the 6th review thread to rule them all (links to others inside). Please post reviews here!:
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 4:41pm

Post #26 of 30 (190 views)
Shortcut
i dunno [In reply to] Can't Post

the reviewer saw it in HFR and it sounds like the format can be pretty unforgiving to anything less than perfect CG work (but when the CG work is top-notch it looks better than ever). with as many digital effects shots as were present and this being the first major motion picture displayed this way, i doubt any visual effects company could have done a significantly better job than what Weta did in the time allotted (i'm basing that remark off the MANY positive reviews i have seen elsewhere for the FX work and the bits i have seen myself from the trailers and the Goblintown clip--stuff looks GOOD in 24 fps, at least).

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 4:51pm

Post #27 of 30 (206 views)
Shortcut
lot more reviews out there... [In reply to] Can't Post

Google search brings up a lot more reviews than what's currently on Rotten Tomatoes--i think a lot of them generated from the London screenings--but some of them may have been posted on here somewhere. however, i've kind of lost the desire to go to the effort of copying and pasting all the links because i didn't really happen upon any that had much new or worthwhile to say. they're all somewhat middling (but on the positive end of that, 3 out of 5 type stuff) to positive (several 3.5 out of 5 and 4 out of 5 reviews) and all to varying degrees talk about the same things: recapping the basic plot, talking about how good of a job Ian, Martin, and Richard do, raving about the Riddles of the Dark scene, talking about how the movie's too long and how much that does or doesn't bother them, whether or not they like HFR (with virtually all of them saying things like how it doesn't work as well for the intimate moments because it is distracting but enhances the action sequences). i'm waiting for some more reviews like the Empire review which doesn't just regurgitate a pablum of facts and now tired talking points about the movie and has some genuine insight to share and something new to add to the conversation. someone wake me up if you see some more reviews like that one.

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 5:02pm

Post #28 of 30 (168 views)
Shortcut
Yip [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like we've pretty much reached a consensus.

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 6:38pm

Post #29 of 30 (105 views)
Shortcut
76% 7.2/10 overall at RT [In reply to] Can't Post

totoro
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 3:59am

Post #30 of 30 (112 views)
Shortcut
What do the following movies have in common? [In reply to] Can't Post

Skyfall
Legend of the Guardians
Twilight (the last one)

The tomatometer has them at 92, 75, 47 (or something like that). However, fans have ranked them all about the same (mid to high 80s).

I think the Hobbit will do better with fans than critics along the lines of Legend of the Guardians.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.