Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit Extended Edition Confirmed! Spoilers!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 9:31pm

Post #26 of 50 (410 views)
Shortcut
blablablah [In reply to] Can't Post

i've seen FotR 7 times, TTT 6 times and RotK 4 times in the theatre - but i will only see this movie once

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2012, 10:02pm

Post #27 of 50 (386 views)
Shortcut
Simile [In reply to] Can't Post

Critics and weather forecasters are a similar breed. They both get it right about the same amount regardless of what the people really like.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2012, 10:27pm

Post #28 of 50 (361 views)
Shortcut
I love long films! [In reply to] Can't Post

None of PJ's films have been too long for me yet! Not even the extended editions Smile

And when people say that The Hobbit can't be three films, then I would say they are stupid! (No offence)
It's not The Hobbit that is long... It's LotR that is WAY too short...

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 10:36pm

Post #29 of 50 (359 views)
Shortcut
Interesting that it's the same colour as the FOTR EE cover [In reply to] Can't Post

A nice recurring theme. The EE's really breathed a new life into the LOTR trilogy, with some lovely moments that proved PJ's respect to the source material. I don't care what people say, if three films (and EE's) mean that PJ can be more faithful to the book and further expand Tolkien's universe for the screen, then I'm all for it!

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Dec 9 2012, 10:36pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 10:49pm

Post #30 of 50 (347 views)
Shortcut
That's a fan mock-up. [In reply to] Can't Post

Others have said that the real one will be gold, though i'm not sure how accurate that is.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Dec 9 2012, 10:50pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 9 2012, 10:57pm

Post #31 of 50 (337 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember how exciting the last EEs were. To have even more of a film I already loved - not stuck in the back of the cupboard somewhere as 'deleted scenes' but properly edited in. Every time someone here moans about the extended 'Return of the King' I think of Eowyn and Faramir and the Houses of Healing (among other things) and know I'm on a different planet.

And all the documentaries - being in the cinema only lasts a few hours, it's the DVDs you really get to know and remember. I'd have felt a bit cheated if we hadn't had extended versions this time round.

Kendalf
Rohan

Dec 9 2012, 10:57pm

Post #32 of 50 (383 views)
Shortcut
Yep, well under half an hour, as expected [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Extra 20 to 25 minutes will be added to the dvd of AUJ!

Whilst this is undoubtedly welcome news, it should also come as no surprise whatsoever to anyone that this is the least amount added yet to any of the EEs.

The decision to "trilogise" the tale has forced Jackson to add all sorts of stuff into the cinematic release of AUJ (in order to beef up its running time) that otherwise would have been far better suited to the EEs (by most accounts). I just hope that this 20-25 minutes extra that he's promising us doesn't amount to little more than scraping the barrel in order to justify an EE release... Unsure

PS Although, of course, the minute or so spent on Narsil would be anything but!

"Show...a little more respect...for faerie tales, Riskbreaker."

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Dec 9 2012, 10:58pm)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 11:22pm

Post #33 of 50 (313 views)
Shortcut
Hear hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought that each book could have been easily made into 3 movies. Well, easily for me anyway, I wouldn't be the one making them :)

" 'Twas a near thing!" said Spam. "Came nigh to a-spoilin' me pantaloons."

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Dec 9 2012, 11:48pm

Post #34 of 50 (303 views)
Shortcut
I don't hate long films [In reply to] Can't Post

I have nothing against long films, Elutherian. I'm simply worried about a trend I see in Jackson's work -- stuffing his movies full of as much material as possible, whether necessary to the storytelling or not. To me, it seems self-indulgent, a sign of a director who doesn't know when to edit himself.

I love the extended editions of LOTR. I find them superior to the theatrical cut in many ways. But this is a different situation. With LOTR, extended editions were able to include more of the story from the books. With The Hobbit, the three-movie structure and extended editions are including more of Jackson and Company's original material. Yes, it's based on Tolkien's appendices. But those are background info and timelines. The new scenes and dialogue will be almost wholly invented by Jackson's team. As such, I'm slightly nervous about the result and wondering how much of it is really necessary.

Given how big of a Tolkien fan I am, I'll probably love the movies. I'm just saying that, right now, I haven't fully jumped on the trilogy bandwagon. And if I'm nervous about that, it's hard to get excited about extended editions of a series I already feel is being stretched out too much.

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 12:09am

Post #35 of 50 (322 views)
Shortcut
I think it's easy to see what would be cut from AUJ if we only had 2 movies [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly you would excise some of Bag End and plenty of Rivendell (maybe the whole White Council scene would have been EE only). Then you wouldn't even have the Azog subplot. Azanulbizar flashback would be in the EE.

Cutting those things then adding Beorn, Mirkwood, Tharanduil, barrels escape would have made it to around 3 hours.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 12:22am

Post #36 of 50 (303 views)
Shortcut
I'm guessing it would have been closer to 4 hours [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't imagine the Beorn, Mirkwood and barrel escape scenes being any less than 1 hour in total.

(This post was edited by Carne on Dec 10 2012, 12:23am)

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 12:33am

Post #37 of 50 (277 views)
Shortcut
Taking it a little personally, aren't we precioussss? [In reply to] Can't Post

Last minute changes happen all the time. Yeah, it's annoying, but I'm sure PJ didn't do it to hurt your feelings.

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 12:54am

Post #38 of 50 (252 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

The EE and regular will most certainly be on Blu Rays. I almost doubt they'll put it out on DVDS. It's funny, I remember hoping that HD DVD would win the format war because I'm not really a Sony or PS3 fan. But recently I've noticed how good the Blu Ray seems to be. And on that note, I can't believe the average prices for new blu ray films these days, about $30! Or prices of anything these days, curses Bernanke! Mad

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 1:47am

Post #39 of 50 (261 views)
Shortcut
Whatever so called padding there might be in AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a hard time imagining how they would have fit all that was written and shot (what we know of it anyway) into 2 three-hour movies. In order to get all the way to Barrels out of Bond, what would they have had to cut out of AUJ as it exists now?

I'm not sure when they decided to turn The Hobbit into a trilogy, but i'm sure P.J. & Co.'s discussions must have started long before (not to mention how long it took the studio to o.k. it). There just seems to be so much stuff that was going to be in this film that now isn't. Wouldn't they have known fairly early on that they had way too much material to fit into 2 films? And even if parts of the film do drag a bit, and you could trim 3-5 minutes here and there, from what we know about it now, it at least seems like it works as a proper film structurally. Hopefully we'll find out more about this whole process in the Extended Edition Appendices.

totoro
Lorien

Dec 10 2012, 3:24am

Post #40 of 50 (226 views)
Shortcut
I wish PJ had done TH before LotR... [In reply to] Can't Post

... because maybe we could have had 3 trilogies from the trilogy (9 films) for LotR. Or at least 6 movies from the 6 books of LotR. (Yes, there are 6.) Wink

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 3:53am

Post #41 of 50 (212 views)
Shortcut
It wouldn't have happened like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

If he had made the Hobbit first, it would have been just one film. The only reason he had the chance to make it three was because of the Lord of the Rings.

hobbithobbit

Dec 10 2012, 6:25am

Post #42 of 50 (174 views)
Shortcut
All series are about trilogies now.... [In reply to] Can't Post

If 1 movie is good, let's make it 3.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 6:43am

Post #43 of 50 (171 views)
Shortcut
nooo, we would have had a very scaled down TH [In reply to] Can't Post

if TH came before LOTR's, I think it worked perfectly. Now we get a epic 3 part TH, every page will be included and the white council ect... I'm glad it happened this way, it was meant to be!

Owned.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 8:07am

Post #44 of 50 (147 views)
Shortcut
It's made by TheHutt. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

waaimasjien
Bree

Dec 10 2012, 9:40am

Post #45 of 50 (129 views)
Shortcut
Right... [In reply to] Can't Post

critics are criticizing the film for being too long and bloated already. Believe me, those 20 minutes would really have slowed the film down enormously. Do note the film wasn't made just for you, but the general audience has to be able to enjoy it too, so it does have to be a little streamlined. Be thankful you're getting to see those 20 minutes at all.

The Preciousss
Bree

Dec 10 2012, 1:28pm

Post #46 of 50 (117 views)
Shortcut
I am soo looking forward to the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

because all of the EE from LOTR were so awesome that I can't bear to watch the TE again without it feeling inferior and incomplete.

There are so many important additions, to name a few:

FOTR: The Extra Shire scenes and the Green Dragon
The extended Concil with Gandalf speaking Black Speech
The extended travels with Strider (Luthien)
Galadriels gifts

TTT: Finding Theodred and the funeral
Faramier's memories
Old Man Willow

ROTK: Saruman's demise
Squiring of Merry
Houses of Healing
Aragorn challenging Sauron through the palantiir
Mouth of Sauron

And of course all the brilliant appendices, which I might have even watched more often than the movies themselves.

Captain Sassy Pants
The Shire

Dec 11 2012, 1:07pm

Post #47 of 50 (78 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The EE and regular will most certainly be on Blu Rays. I almost doubt they'll put it out on DVDS. It's funny, I remember hoping that HD DVD would win the format war because I'm not really a Sony or PS3 fan. But recently I've noticed how good the Blu Ray seems to be. And on that note, I can't believe the average prices for new blu ray films these days, about $30! Or prices of anything these days, curses Bernanke! Mad

DVD still outsell Blu Rays, so why do you doubt that they will release them on DVD too? It's all about maximizing profits... It would be pretty dumb to cut off the main revenue stream (unless Blu Ray sales surge and finally completely overtake DVD sales before its release).

This is said as someone who only buys Blu Rays now.

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 1:25pm

Post #48 of 50 (59 views)
Shortcut
You are right. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we'll have multiple formats and packages.

DVD+Digital Copy
DVD+Blu Ray
Blu Ray
Blu Ray+Blu Ray 3D
Blu Ray 3D

And every other combination Smile

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2012, 9:19pm

Post #49 of 50 (47 views)
Shortcut
I bought the HD DVD unit [In reply to] Can't Post

for my Xbox 360, and less than a year later, Blu-ray won the format war. It was only 80 bucks though (with the rebate), and it came with King Kong, my first HD movie. I still have it, but my 360 has since died, so now i'm a PS3 guy.

DVDs are definitely still around, and will be for some time. And you should shop Amazon more-- i get most of my Blu-rays for 10-15 bucks.

Wielder of Anduril
The Shire

Dec 11 2012, 10:52pm

Post #50 of 50 (92 views)
Shortcut
Good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly there no direct correlation between movie length and quality.

I also agree about the dangers of self indulgence in filmmaking. But until I see it in Jackson's Hobbit/Rings work, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he has a greater passion and/or understanding of Tolkein's material than for his other projects, but in the Rings trilogy, even in the EE's, I never felt he moved into self indulgence.

I know there was criticism of the multiple endings in RotK, but I really think that was more an issue of the transitions than anything. Certainly I didn't see it as self indulgence. Rather it was an attempt to wrap up multiple story lines in a truly epic tale. Each scene deserved to be there, but perhaps they could have been presented in a different way.

So if he can go to almost 4 1/2 hours with RotK EE and, I think, avoid self indulgence, I'll wait until I see it happen in a Rings/Hobbit film before I wallop him. (Granted, I have not seen AUJ yet)

I get what you are saying about there being more fleshed out material in the Rings trilogy, and certainly the lack of that available material in the Hobbit and LotR appendecies is a hurdle. But I think it's fair to first see how he handles it before red flagging it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.