Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
PJ's Cameo

ghost2-14
The Shire

Dec 8 2012, 10:41am

Post #1 of 14 (1036 views)
Shortcut
PJ's Cameo Can't Post

So, PJ said on Colbert that he DOES have a cameo in the first film and that it is during the first 6-7 minutes of it. So I guess, he is a hobbit?

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 8 2012, 10:45am

Post #2 of 14 (559 views)
Shortcut
If it's (Spolier!) [In reply to] Can't Post

in the first seven minutes......I'd say he's more likely to be a Dwarf.

(Subject line edited for spoilers)

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 8 2012, 4:44pm)

ghost2-14
The Shire

Dec 8 2012, 10:50am

Post #3 of 14 (505 views)
Shortcut
A dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

Could be, but I thought the film begins with old Bilbo telling Frodo the story - so, basically the first minutes take place in the Shire?

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Dec 8 2012, 11:03am

Post #4 of 14 (503 views)
Shortcut
colbert is in the film as well [In reply to] Can't Post

right?
in this one, or one of the next?

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 8 2012, 11:29am

Post #5 of 14 (474 views)
Shortcut
My understanding is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the opening of the film is a historical prologue, narrated by Bilbo, concerning Erebor and Smaug. If that's true then there might be a few initial shots set in the Shire, but most of the characters appearing in the first seven-ish minutes would be Dwarves and Men.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 8 2012, 12:36pm

Post #6 of 14 (491 views)
Shortcut
SPOILER [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I read:

As far as I know it is Galadriel telling the prologue, mirroring FotR and then a second prologue with Frodo and Bilbo in which Bilbo starts thinking back to the day Gandalf asked him out on the adventure.

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 8 2012, 1:40pm

Post #7 of 14 (383 views)
Shortcut
I've seen both reports. [In reply to] Can't Post

I.e., that Bilbo narrates the prologue and that Galadriel narrates the prologue - but the latter only from one source (until now) and the former more often.

Perhaps some reporters have been mixing this up with later narration by Bilbo from his book (or some writing addressed to Frodo).

I've also read a report that the first shot of the film is of Bag End or the Shire - but perhaps this is really a reference to the first shot after the prologue.

(This post was edited by Glóin the Dark on Dec 8 2012, 1:41pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 8 2012, 1:55pm

Post #8 of 14 (404 views)
Shortcut
SPOILER AGAIN [In reply to] Can't Post

Spoiler again...

There seem to be two prologues... that is what a poster on IMDB - who obviously has seen it and has answered a lot of questions there - said.

Galadriel giving an introduction on the dwarves and the kingdoms of Erebor and the city of Dale.

Then Bilbo on the morning of his 111. birthday with Frodo hammering the party sign to the door and getting the mail for old Bilbo and running of to the place where we first see him in FotR... then the "An Unexpected Journey" title comes and the movie flashes back to young BIlbo and Gandalf.

The Battle of Azanulbizar btw is not part of the prologue but another flashback told by Balin acoording to that viewer.

If you look up the thread on IMDB, watch out for the useless fight there between fanboys and haters. Both "parties" are just ridiculous over there.

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 8 2012, 3:01pm

Post #9 of 14 (334 views)
Shortcut
Spoiler [In reply to] Can't Post

The "introduction on the dwarves and the kingdoms of Erebor and the city of Dale." is narated by Bilbo. Not Galadriel. The rest is pretty accurate.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 4:10pm

Post #10 of 14 (272 views)
Shortcut
I don't get all the confusion [In reply to] Can't Post

Clearly some people think it was Galadriel, and others Bilbo!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2012, 4:46pm

Post #11 of 14 (242 views)
Shortcut
IMDb [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, i spent some time on the IMDb Hobbit boards the other night and it is just stupid over there. There are bigger trolls there than anything in The Hobbit. There were some d-bags who just would not shut up about how P.J. & Co. made the move to 3 films purely as a money grab. I tried reasoning with them for a minute (why would they wait until shooting was over, so that they would have to get all the actors and crew for another entire shoot a year later, to make that decision?!), but soon realized it was an excercise in futility and gave up. So if you venture over that way, beware!

sam90
Lorien

Dec 8 2012, 8:49pm

Post #12 of 14 (186 views)
Shortcut
PJ's role [In reply to] Can't Post

It make sense that he should be a Dwarves, for they got to tell flahs-bak like what's the matter with Erebor. The audience will want to know. I don't expect to notice him in this cameo the first viewing though... As was the case when he was a man of Bree.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 8 2012, 10:04pm

Post #13 of 14 (153 views)
Shortcut
probably dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

so he gets his hobbit cameo in TABA, at the end of all things

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 8 2012, 10:22pm

Post #14 of 14 (166 views)
Shortcut
I don't undestand either... [In reply to] Can't Post

SPOILERS
The movie starts with Old Bilbo writing his adventures in the red book for Frodo. He starts by describing the kingdom of Erebor and the coming of Smaug. So he is narating the whole thing.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.