Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit US box office predictions
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2012, 4:56pm

Post #51 of 56 (119 views)
Shortcut
To think about it by all means [In reply to] Can't Post

But not to "be concerned" about it.

Though in this instance, I think it is pretty clear that in the sentence "the only reviewer I am really concerned about is me", he is not discussing proxy predictors for box office sales.

LR

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 5:25pm

Post #52 of 56 (120 views)
Shortcut
I dunno why some people feel the need to bring this up. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course your view on something is the most important view for you, personally, at the end of the day. Tell me something new. Wink

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 9 2012, 5:43pm

Post #53 of 56 (109 views)
Shortcut
Because [In reply to] Can't Post

Comments like what you're making and others seem to make it important from critical reviewers. This movie will make lots of money because the fans enjoy it or won't because they didn't. I would say most people see movies because of word of mouth from their friends or trailers. Not because it has a good ranting on RT (that site is pretty crappy IMO). I'm going to see les miserables because the trailer looks good and a friend said she thinks I'd like it (she knows me pretty well). I don't let review site influence if I see a movie and I think that's how it works for most folks.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2012, 5:53pm

Post #54 of 56 (92 views)
Shortcut
Repeated posts [In reply to] Can't Post

Expressing the same sentiment often precipitate repeated replies expressing the same response.

LR

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 6:00pm

Post #55 of 56 (128 views)
Shortcut
I deem review aggregators quite useful. [In reply to] Can't Post

If i have passing interest in something, bad reviews might sway me to not check it out. Conversely, great reviews can put a movie on the map. Not everyone has the time or money to give everything a chance and not everyone has a friend or acquaintance that saw the movie. According to a studio insider, supposedly reviews can add or subtract up to 10% to an opening weekend.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 9 2012, 6:02pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 9 2012, 6:30pm

Post #56 of 56 (118 views)
Shortcut
Can't say I do [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know what to tell ya. You put quite a bit of stock in critics and I don't. I don't let myself be swayed by professional critics and allow myself or people I trust dearly help point me in the right direction.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.