Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How often do you read a book?
Poll: How often do you read a book?
I read from a book every day. 33 / 53%
A few days a week. 15 / 24%
A week or two each month. 2 / 3%
Every few months. 4 / 6%
I read infrequently, saving it for really good books. 8 / 13%
There are books? 0 / 0%
62 total votes

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 7 2012, 7:11pm

Post #1 of 25 (849 views)
Shortcut
How often do you read a book? Can't Post

I'm in an enforced break while I wait for Jim Butcher's latest book to arrive (as I don't want to be part-way through a book when the new one arrives), and I'm starting to get twitchy. So what is your usual book-reading habit?

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 7:14pm

Post #2 of 25 (281 views)
Shortcut
Every day. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although now, it's on a kindle. Sometimes I only get a couple of pages read, but I do make an effort to read daily. I also subscribe to two e-magazines on the kindle and I'll often read a single article if I don't have much time.

CuriousG
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 7:40pm

Post #3 of 25 (275 views)
Shortcut
Once upon a time [In reply to] Can't Post

I was reading from a book everyday. Now it's a few days a week. Partly from all the other daily reading we do now (email, internet, etc), partly because I have trouble finding good books to read.

There's certainly no substitute for it, if you're brought up with it, I think: even reading good, lengthy magazine articles can't replace a book.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 8:46pm

Post #4 of 25 (272 views)
Shortcut
Every day since I learned to read. [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually have more than one book going at a time. Right now I am reading three -- two paperbacks and one on my Kindle. I don't know if I could survive without reading!

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 7 2012, 9:48pm

Post #5 of 25 (293 views)
Shortcut
Infrequently... [In reply to] Can't Post

...although, I used to be totally addicted to reading. I came from a family who couldn't go to the bathroom, take a bath, or eat breakfast without something to read.

I used to prowl all night grocery stores for something to read.

I would fall asleep with a book next to me the bed.

I read constantly.

Then I didn't.

I'm not really sure what changed except I think I had kids. I would get very, very engrossed in a book and exclude the real world while I read and I couldn't do that with kids. And I think I just never found another process for reading.

I was reading to my kids by that point and then I got a job reading books to kids. So I was still 'reading books'. Once the kids grew up and my job was eliminated, I never shifted back to obsessive adult book reading.

I did continue to read on vacations. I read all the HP books on vacation except for DH. I couldn't risk being spoiled and read it immediately.

When I picked up LOTR for the first time in 30 years in summer of 2002, it was the first time I spent that kind of time with a book for 15 years or so. For many reasons, it was a life altering experience for me to pick those books up again and read them obsessively like the good old days.

Since then, I have read a few books now and then while not on vacation. But nothing close to the frequency as before. I listen to a fair number of audio books in the car.

I did get the first two Butcher books for Christmas last year and found the fourth at the thrift store. I'm hoping someone will get me the third for Christmas this year. :-)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 7 2012, 10:44pm

Post #6 of 25 (274 views)
Shortcut
I resemble this remark. :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sevilodorf
Gondor

Dec 8 2012, 12:21am

Post #7 of 25 (271 views)
Shortcut
Lots and lots and lots [In reply to] Can't Post

All the time .... if I actually had to support my reading addiction I'd go broke... thank god for the public library.

wendy woo
Rivendell

Dec 8 2012, 3:05am

Post #8 of 25 (218 views)
Shortcut
A little of something every day [In reply to] Can't Post

The evidence is scattered around the house. Bedroom, dining room, office, kitchen, living room--every room except the bathroom has a book or two left in it at all times. But now that I have a Kindle, it just migrates from room to room wherever I happen to be.

wendy woo
Rivendell

Dec 8 2012, 3:16am

Post #9 of 25 (246 views)
Shortcut
Another casualty of parenthood... [In reply to] Can't Post

For some, it is their sex life, for others, their reading life! Who knows, I might have been an academic if it were not for these pesky kids! But after twelve tiring years, my poor brain can oftentimes handle nothing more complicated than "Goodnight, Moon".

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 8 2012, 4:12am

Post #10 of 25 (255 views)
Shortcut
We have bookshelves in our bathroom. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do a lot of reading in there. Also in bed.

The kindle has changed my reading habits somewhat. Since it will read out loud, I'm able to 'read' books during the hour I spend commuting every day. And I can read in bed with the lights off :-)

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Dec 8 2012, 4:22am)

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 8 2012, 5:47am

Post #11 of 25 (220 views)
Shortcut
I usually have more than one book going at a time [In reply to] Can't Post

A serious nonfiction thing that I get around too in the evenings, and something lighter that I read in bed before falling asleep.

Currently I'm reading a book on the neuroscience of the Buddhist practice of mindfulness in the evenings, and re-reading "Cold Days" at night because I'm just not ready to leave that world again.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 5:59am

Post #12 of 25 (229 views)
Shortcut
see, now... I was thinking how I wouldn't like that factor of Kindling [In reply to] Can't Post

I like having different things in different places. And each place has it's reading material. I was thinking that I could have all that on a kindle but I like pick up and putting down each item in its own spot. It's a tactile/physical pleasure.

HEY.. Elijah's on TV with weird hair. He's talking about cod. And bass. Bass got sass. Trout. Brittle nosed catfish. Top five fish of 2012. Only I didn't catch what was in the #5 spot.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2012, 7:34am

Post #13 of 25 (249 views)
Shortcut
(Almost) Every day [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though I don't read as much as I used to, I still read some almost every day. I don't have the chance to browse bookstores much lately, and I don't enjoy browsing for e-books even though I don't mind reading them, so unless I know exactly what I want, I rarely find anything new to read. I usually end up re-reading old favorites or reading something I bought a long time ago but never got around to. I love reading, but I'm very picky - story, character, tone, and writing style all have to come together in just the right way or else it's a no-go.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2012, 8:02am

Post #14 of 25 (204 views)
Shortcut
Would that be... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Joy of Living by Tongey Mingyur Rinpoche (sp?) ? If not, I'd like to know what it is, if you wouldn't mind sharing. I got a lot out of The Joy of Living and would love another book on the topic. It was interesting from a purely scientific, philosophical point of view, but it was also very helpful during a difficult time in my life. I actually need to re-read Joy of Living; the good practices and positive attitude I gained from reading it the first time could use a booster shot.Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 8:08am

Post #15 of 25 (214 views)
Shortcut
Not as much as I would like [In reply to] Can't Post

I have an ever growing list of books to read. Unfortunately, reading academic stuff keeps me busy. Maybe I can take on the list in a couple of years time.

sam90
Lorien

Dec 8 2012, 8:42pm

Post #16 of 25 (372 views)
Shortcut
Reading habbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the past 3 or 4 years I read frequently on a regular basis but when I started learning English about 2 years ago, I started to read everyday to improve as much as I can. I've kept this habbit ever since. I look for every possible moment in a day when I can keep reading a book in english form LOTR to Harry Potter to other Epic fantasy series. I think it's really nice to be able to read book in two languages (French and English) and somewhat that make me even more enjoying reading.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Dec 8 2012, 8:44pm)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 3:23am

Post #17 of 25 (248 views)
Shortcut
I do that too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! You only started learning English two years ago and you are already able to read LOTR? I'm very slowly working my way through Harry Potter y la camara secreta to practice my Spanish. (I've looked for Harry Potter in French, but it's hard to find, where as Spanish is, of course, much easier to find in the US. I know more French than Spanish, but that's not saying much Tongue It's been a while since I studied either of them.) Anyway, Spanish Harry Potter is easier than Spanish LOTR, but maybe one day I'll be up to the challenge. You've inspired me. Smile

sam90
Lorien

Dec 9 2012, 7:45pm

Post #18 of 25 (181 views)
Shortcut
Reading habbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read The Hobbit before LOTR and The Silm ( Unfinished Tales , CoH ect.) so there has been so kind of progression for book to book. I was becoming increasingly familiar with the style of this very strong english. It was no easy task though, especially with Fellowship Of The Ring. I simply cannot remember how much time I've used my old English-French dictionnary. Sometimes you have to read 3 or 4 time the same passage to really get the meaning of it. Anyway, don't give up! Even if you think you're not up to the challenge, the story is so good, the style of Tolkien so great that it keeps you going through the page with your dictionnary as a friend.

As for Harry Potter in French, have you tried Amazon.ca? You can purchase books on their Canadian website from the US. It should not cost too much in shipping. They have many titles in French including the HP series.

Spanish that seems a challenge as well! It sounds like a very interesting language to learn. I've a liking for Deutsch even though I speak it (and undertsand it) not at all.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Dec 9 2012, 7:53pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 9 2012, 7:51pm

Post #19 of 25 (207 views)
Shortcut
Infrequently nowadays [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to devour books all throughout elementary, middle, and high school. But then college started and completely put a damper on that. I now read whenever I get the chance, and generally only for a book that really catches my attention.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 2:19am

Post #20 of 25 (192 views)
Shortcut
you still read [In reply to] Can't Post

just not for pleasure but for work and educational purposes. Both types of reading are important and should be counted.

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 10 2012, 5:01am

Post #21 of 25 (147 views)
Shortcut
No, it's [In reply to] Can't Post

Rewire Your Brain for Love by Marsha Lucas. You might also like Buddha's Brain by Rick Hanson.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 10 2012, 2:09pm

Post #22 of 25 (198 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just much harder to snuggle up with a Medical-Surgical Nursing book than it is with something like LOTR Tongue

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 5:05pm

Post #23 of 25 (425 views)
Shortcut
Almost every day, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd probably read most of the time, but I also need to share time with my other interests, plus writing can be exhausting to the mind (when it comes to words and imagination), and I do that a lot, especially as of late.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 5 2013, 5:30am

Post #24 of 25 (264 views)
Shortcut
everytime I'm not doing much [In reply to] Can't Post

If I'm eating, waiting for an appt, walking on the treadmill at the gym, or anytime my mind is not occupied otherwise, I'm reading. In fact, if there is downtime and I don't have a book to read, I consider it time wasted. ^_^

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2013, 1:52am

Post #25 of 25 (149 views)
Shortcut
It's sad, really, [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to be a voracious reader-- classics, biographies, modern novels and more light-hearted fare. But it's been years since i've read regularly. I'm hoping this dry/lazy spell passes soon, because i do miss it. I used to see a lot more films than i do now, too. Seems my attention span has waned as i've gotten older...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.