Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter Jackson and the Hobbit....

FinGolFin
The Shire

Nov 15 2007, 9:39am

Post #1 of 24 (598 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson and the Hobbit.... Can't Post

AS MUCH AS I LOVED TLOTR MOVIES AND, AS MUCH AS I LOVED READING THE BOOKS(AMONGST THE TOP OF ALL MY FAVORITE READINGS), PETER JACKSON (P.J.)TOOK TOO MANY LIBERTIES-ASTRAYING TOO MANY TIMES FROM THE BOOK. I KNOW THE REASONS WHY MANY WOULD SAY "THATS WHAT DIRECTORS DO" OR "THEY HAVE TO DO SO". I DO STUDY MOVIES AND AM STUDYING WRITING SCREENPLAYS. NOT THAT THIS SHOULD BE THE MOST IMPORTANT IN JUDGING ANYONE INVOLVED IN MAKING FILMS. BUT, P.J., WAS TOO ARROGANT AND SELF CENTERED IN DOING "TLOTR". I'VE READ THE SILMARILLION, THE HOBBIT, TLOTR, THE MANY UNFINISHED TALES AND THE SHORT STORIES BOOK MANY TIMES OVER (INCLUDING THE MAPS OF MIDDLE EARTH)...A MOVIE OF THE SAME BACKGROUND CAN BE DONE WITOUT THE SAME ACTORS. THE HOBBIT TOOK PLACE SOME FIFTY YEARS BFORE TLOTR.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 15 2007, 3:15pm

Post #2 of 24 (271 views)
Shortcut
Welcome again :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait to see how it all pans out. Isn't the suspense delicious? :)

*spasm*

omg...

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

Rabittooth
Bree

Nov 15 2007, 10:08pm

Post #3 of 24 (250 views)
Shortcut
Um... [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally would greatly appreciate it if you would no longer post in all caps. It's considered shouting.
Cool

-Rabittooth

www.rabittooth.com

FinGolFin
The Shire

Nov 16 2007, 3:15am

Post #4 of 24 (248 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Tradition and conventional ideas(believes)are things I do not allow to come into my line of thinking. Sorry. THEREFORE I ENJOY WRITING IN CAPS AND IN BOLDFACE. Please just accept it. Everything is well.

squire
Valinor

Nov 16 2007, 3:35am

Post #5 of 24 (269 views)
Shortcut
YES I AM WITH YOU ON THIS [In reply to] Can't Post

DID YOU SEE THE MOVIES MORE THAN ONCE? I DID THEY WERE SO COOL. A FRIEND OF MINE WHO'S NOT HERE ANYMORE NOTICED THAT SOME ONE I DON'T KNOW WHO, MAYBE A ROHAN IT WAS, WAS RIDING BEHIND EOWYN IN THE OLIPHAUNT SCENE AND CUT OFF THREE ORCS HEADS WITH one swipe of the blade! THAT SOUNDS SO COOL I DON'T KNOW WHY I CAN'T FIND IT WHEN I LOOK AT THE VIDEOTAPE. BUT IT MUST BE SO CAUSE JACKSON IS THAT KIND OF DIRECTOR. FERSHUR.

AND THE EASTERLINGS! HAVE WE TALKED ABOUT THEM? I KNOW YOU LOVE THEM BECAUSE OF THE ALL CAPS! I LOVE THE EASTERLINGS! YAY! I JUST WISH IT WAS EASIER TO TELL THEM FROM THE SOUTHRONS, ALTHOUGH WITH THE DUNLENDINGS IT'S NO PROBLEM OF COURSE. THAT'S BECAUSE OF PETER JACKSON.

THE HOBBIT WILL ROCK! I THINK THE LOVELY PHIL SHOULD DIRECT SHE IS SO SWEET I AM ALWAYS IN LOVE WITH HER.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

a.s.
Valinor

Nov 16 2007, 3:38am

Post #6 of 24 (219 views)
Shortcut
but see, we do [In reply to] Can't Post

Tradition and conventional ideas(believes)are things I do not allow to come into my line of thinking. Sorry. THEREFORE I ENJOY WRITING IN CAPS AND IN BOLDFACE. Please just accept it.

Welcome to Torn, where we do in fact have some traditions that come into our line of thinking. Cool

I see you've had a couple mild requests to not post in all caps from members as well as a Board Administrator (Ataahua, above), who posted a link to the Torn FAQs for a reference to our tradition of netiquette, specifically:

10. We practice general rules of "netiquette" here, including NOT POSTING IN ALL CAPS (it's considered shouting)

So, at such an impasse I'd suggest that it's not Torn who needs to "accept it".

Just a thought.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better past.
~~~Landrum Bolling

FinGolFin
The Shire

Nov 16 2007, 3:39am

Post #7 of 24 (282 views)
Shortcut
Easterlings?... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow!, I thought I had seen everythimg. I did not see any easterlings. I thought they were only southerners. Hum?

FinGolFin
The Shire

Nov 16 2007, 3:42am

Post #8 of 24 (273 views)
Shortcut
All Caps... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want my registry to be deleted, so I'll stop posting all Caps.

Milady
Rivendell

Nov 16 2007, 3:50am

Post #9 of 24 (209 views)
Shortcut
Conflict of interests [In reply to] Can't Post

Personal preference, FinGolFin. Personal preference. No need to get so uppity about it.

Middle-Earth stands on the brink of destruction.

a.s.
Valinor

Nov 16 2007, 3:52am

Post #10 of 24 (216 views)
Shortcut
glad to hear it! and welcome to Torn, where [In reply to] Can't Post

you will find some really wonderful people and some of the best Tolkien-related conversations anywhere. You might want to sit back and read a few of the recent entries on all the boards, at first, to get a sort of feel for the culture of the board in general and what kinds of conversations go on in the different forums.

Just another thought!

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

~~~Landrum Bolling

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 16 2007, 11:32am

Post #11 of 24 (220 views)
Shortcut
Your explicative expletive is most profoundatory. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although i'd wish you would speak up. I cannot hear you. *puts on earphones over eyes*

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of ManwŰ let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of ManwŰ S˙limo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Nov 16 2007, 11:59am

Post #12 of 24 (191 views)
Shortcut
!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

A myth is far truer than a history, for a history only gives a story of the shadows, whereas a myth gives a story of the substances that cast the shadows.~Annie Besant
Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole, and once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Nov 16 2007, 2:24pm

Post #13 of 24 (218 views)
Shortcut
LOLOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Brilliant! Though I shudder to think how much time you must spend lurking on other (lesser) message boards to be able to parody them so well.

My only criticisms are that some of your word choices sound dated -- certainly "videotape" and probably "fershur." And you need some txt-spelling and misspellings in there. Like maybe "A FRND OF MINE WHOS NOT HERE ANYMORE NOTICED THAT SOME 1 I DON'T NO WHO . . ."

(Edit: like, I just noticed from FinGolFin's other post: " . . . and b honest if u agree with this . . .")

Nice job otherwise.

(This post was edited by Smeagirl/Girllum on Nov 16 2007, 2:26pm)

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2007, 1:37am

Post #14 of 24 (167 views)
Shortcut
Only on TORn... [In reply to] Can't Post

...do we critique someone's parody of a bad post and give suggestions on how to make it worse!Laugh

Where's Frodo?

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 17 2007, 2:40am

Post #15 of 24 (167 views)
Shortcut
Worser [In reply to] Can't Post

There, that's betterer.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

By El~Cugu

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17 2007, 4:21am

Post #16 of 24 (169 views)
Shortcut
More better [In reply to] Can't Post

Betterer is wrong. Should be more better.Cool

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

a.s.
Valinor

Nov 17 2007, 4:46am

Post #17 of 24 (160 views)
Shortcut
betterer is worser than more better? [In reply to] Can't Post

that is really headachier.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

~~~Landrum Bolling

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 17 2007, 12:24pm

Post #18 of 24 (157 views)
Shortcut
Thank you :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it may seem restrictive, but I had trouble taking your posts as seriously as I normally would when I felt like you were in my face with your approach. You've got valid points to make, and now I can consider them much better :)

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Nov 17 2007, 4:10pm

Post #19 of 24 (176 views)
Shortcut
How about "more betterer"? or "mor betrr" /NT [In reply to] Can't Post

a.s.
Valinor

Nov 17 2007, 8:53pm

Post #20 of 24 (131 views)
Shortcut
hmmm...more betterer is even more worserer, I think ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

~~~Landrum Bolling

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 17 2007, 10:07pm

Post #21 of 24 (139 views)
Shortcut
no-no-no. The goodest and mostest bestest everest! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 18 2007, 6:05am

Post #22 of 24 (128 views)
Shortcut
Well, It looks like we got a [In reply to] Can't Post

firm handle on that subject.Crazy

By El~Cugu

a.s.
Valinor

Nov 18 2007, 3:30pm

Post #23 of 24 (121 views)
Shortcut
we are the betterest, true that!! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

~~~Landrum Bolling

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 18 2007, 6:00pm

Post #24 of 24 (175 views)
Shortcut
I will concur with my colleague on that consultation with the reiteration: [In reply to] Can't Post

WHAT SHE SAID!!!!SmileLaughSlyHeart.

Love you guys.

Ok, who wants to go split some firewood with me in the slush, the mud and the wet snow falling?.......

Forget it. Good day (rare occasion) to go to the movies if i can find one worthwhile and worth the money.

By El~Cugu

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.