Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What have you been listening to ?

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 3:33am

Post #1 of 23 (319 views)
Shortcut
What have you been listening to ? Can't Post

Greetings music fans ! My mind is constantly pre-occupied with hearing the upcoming Howard Shore music for The Hobbit. I think about it all the time Smile

My friends and I have all taken the day off from work ( I reserved that December 14th sick day a long time agoWink )

Here's the plan...go to afternoon showing first, listen to the soundtrack on the way home in the carSmile have a delicious dinner, then meet up with other friends for the late night showing ( we will be seeing the 2D first, 3D second) then listen to the soundtrack on the way home in the car Laugh I can't wait !

I keep distracted from Hobbit reviews/spoilers/commentary, etc. by listening to a bunch of good music. I decided to go by the numbers this week, here's a few examples...

Nena - 99 Luftbaloons
Metallica - One
Stephane Grappelli - Swing 42
Prince Buster - Ten Commandments
Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes To Midnight
Ramones - 53rd & 3rd
13th Floor Elevators - You're Gonna Miss Me
Nightwish - 7 Days To The Wolves
AC/DC - 74 Jailbreak
Kate Bush - Pi

Any good tunes to share ?

zarabia
Grey Havens

Dec 6 2012, 6:32am

Post #2 of 23 (124 views)
Shortcut
Your plans for Hobbit Day sound wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

As for number related artists and/or songs - great list! Hmm, let's see. Off the top of my head:

U2 - One
Jackson 5 - ABC,123 (okay, I know it's just ABC, but you can't think of it without the 123 part.)
Glenn Miller - Pennsylvania 6-5000
Prince - 1999
The 88 - At Least It Was Here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ybh8a1rnw

And in honor of one of my dad's favorites, the late great Dave Brubeck - Take Five
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJE92phKzI

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Dec 7 2012, 3:01am

Post #3 of 23 (111 views)
Shortcut
Christmas music. [In reply to] Can't Post

Found out how to create a playlist on my ipod and created a Christmas set of 30 songs I find indispensable for the season, particularly Christmas Eve. I have some sacred carols by both soloists and choirs like the Mormon Tabernacle, some classic post-war secular tunes by Nat, Perry, Gene and Bing, The Chipmunk Song and Snoopy's Christmas representing novelty songs, some rockin' numbers by the likes of Springsteen and Darlene Love, and some newer numbers like a pair of Manneheim Steamroller instrumentals (they prove that Deck the Halls of all carols can seriously rock). I think I have a fairly good mix.

(This post was edited by Kelly of Water's Edge on Dec 7 2012, 3:07am)

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 3:13am

Post #4 of 23 (99 views)
Shortcut
awesome Hobbit-plans Hamfast :D [In reply to] Can't Post

some music I've been listening to:

a few full albums (on youtube, they're my saviour :D) recently:

Duke - Genesis
Quadrophenia - The Who
Godbluff - Van De Graaf Generator

oh and some stuff like:

Witches Promise - Jethro Tull <- one of my favourite short songs of all time
Dreamer - Supertramp <- another one of my fav short songs of all time

and then some South American and Latin American

Quitapesares - Cimarron
<- A --must-- watch. These guys are insane!
Sumaj Orcko - Rumilliajta <- wonderful Toyos (huge deep panpipes) and tones (Oh and SPECTACULAR pictures of South American landscapes)
Bailar Corporal - Illapu <- one of my favourite South American folk songs (which I've played with my family before too)

Enjoy if you have time!! Cool

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Dec 7 2012, 3:19am)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 7 2012, 5:23am

Post #5 of 23 (97 views)
Shortcut
I am a Christmas music junkie [In reply to] Can't Post

...but the bulk of my collection is quite eclectic and non-mainstream.

Baltimore Consort
Golden Bough
Maddy Prior
Nowell Sing We Clear (Roberts and Barrand, et. al)
Revels
Robin Williamson
Watersons
Enya
Loreena McKennitt
Chieftans
Ensemble Galilei
The Monkees (haha.. Rui Chui, which I also have by the Wags, a group a ex-pat TORn member is in)

I load them all on a jump drive and play them on the stereo.

As a collector, I love wassail songs. There are just so many.

I also love "St. Stephen's Day Murders" with the Chieftans and Elvis Costello

Most carols were intended to be dance tunes and they're fun to do bransles to.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 7 2012, 5:55pm

Post #6 of 23 (83 views)
Shortcut
oh, me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the old songs done by classical choirs like the Cambridge Singers, but I have Christmas CDs by Bing Crosby, Elvis, the Nylons, Mannheim Steamroller, the Windham Hill crowd, pop divas, you name it. Every year I treat myself to a new one. My absolute favorite is "Star of Wonder" by Tingstad & Rumble.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 7 2012, 6:16pm

Post #7 of 23 (80 views)
Shortcut
and this [In reply to] Can't Post

is my favorite Christmas song of all.

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 7 2012, 6:59pm

Post #8 of 23 (82 views)
Shortcut
For anyone wondering if Eddie Redmayne can sing . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

listen to this.

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 8 2012, 12:08am

Post #9 of 23 (83 views)
Shortcut
Do you start listening to Christmas music [In reply to] Can't Post

as soon as December hits ? I usually start to add a few Christmas songs to the rotation about two weeks away from the actual holiday, as i'm not a huge fan of the genre. I do like many of your choices like the sacred carols, and how can you go wrong with Nat and Bing ?

I think i'll post some of my Christmas favorites on next weeks thread Smile

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 8 2012, 12:13am

Post #10 of 23 (76 views)
Shortcut
That Cimarron track is incredible ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Witches Promise is one of my favorite Tull tracks as well. I love the guy in the Supertramp video playing wine glasses ! I'm sure it's barely discernible other than ambient background sound, but I love it when bands try unconventional things Smile

(This post was edited by Hamfast on Dec 8 2012, 12:14am)

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 8 2012, 12:20am

Post #11 of 23 (89 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for The Chieftans link... [In reply to] Can't Post

lovely song Smile

And Christmas music by Enya sounds very intriguing. Might have to investigate that.

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 8 2012, 12:38am

Post #12 of 23 (79 views)
Shortcut
I saw that Dave Brubeck had passed [In reply to] Can't Post

another American jazz icon is no longer with us, and it's sad. He left us with so much great music, and I always remember from Ken Burns' outstanding documentary 'Jazz' that he formed the first racially integrated Armed Forces Band. My parents only owned about 50 or so records for their entire lives, and 'Time Out' from Dave Brubeck was one of them Smile

Excellent numer related choices too ! How could I possibly forget 1999 from Prince ??? Good one !

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Dec 8 2012, 1:16am

Post #13 of 23 (70 views)
Shortcut
It was a case of "Life Intrudes" this year. [In reply to] Can't Post

My brother and niece don't live nearby and this year was our family's turn for Thanksgiving with them. That meant that we were forced into "Christmas" being the day after Thanksgiving by necessity because that's the closest we're going to get (gift exchanges on Skype to follow during my bro's Xmas custody time). We decorated their house while listening to Christmas music, and then my niece wanted to settle in to watch her Rankin-Bass Christmas specials with me.

Once you're forced to get cranked up that early, it's sort of hard to dial it back again. The Christmas gates were opened. Hey, at least I managed one more weekend before downloading.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 1:23am

Post #14 of 23 (72 views)
Shortcut
Christmas songs by Enya .... [In reply to] Can't Post

... are very Enya-ish.

I like Enya but I feel like she's kind of moved into romance novel territory (or any other formulaic genre). She does what she does and you like it or not. But she doesn't do anything really different or new or fresh.

Loreena does some traditional stuff which is nice.

It's funny. I like songs that Elvis Costello writes but I don't usually enjoy him singing at all. I think I like this because of the Chieftans.

The Chieftans... there's a group that isn't afraid to try new collaborations. :-)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 1:25am

Post #15 of 23 (92 views)
Shortcut
We played Take Five in my high school band [In reply to] Can't Post

in the late 60s. It was really my first exposure to jazz. At least on any personal level. The obsessive/math part of me liked the 5 count. :-)

zarabia
Grey Havens

Dec 8 2012, 6:30am

Post #16 of 23 (62 views)
Shortcut
Love the South American music [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, the first two; unfortunately, the third video was blockedUnsure But Quitapesares...wow!

zarabia
Grey Havens

Dec 8 2012, 6:50am

Post #17 of 23 (105 views)
Shortcut
re: Chieftans and Elvis Costello/ your high school band and Take Five [In reply to] Can't Post

First, thanks for the link to their song. Smile It's great. I also noticed on the album cover that there's a song with Rikki Lee Jones as well. I'll have to look for that one. She's awesome!

About Elvis Costello: in a way I can understand not liking his voice, there is something a bit "off" about it, but, for me, there's also a special quality that moves me unlike almost any other singer. Especially in his acoustic ballads.

And I must say, wow! your high school band was very ambitious!

(This post was edited by zarabia on Dec 8 2012, 6:53am)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 2:38pm

Post #18 of 23 (76 views)
Shortcut
Pennfield High School Band [In reply to] Can't Post

In our district, kids were offered the chance to be in band in junior high (7th and 8th grade). Then when they went in high school, they joined the high school band.

My first day of high school was also the first day of the new band director. He pulled out some sheet music for us to play and all the musicians - from all grade levels - looked at it and said, "We can't play that." He said, "Yes, you can."

It was the Marriage of Figaro. (Keep in mind we were a band, not an orchestra. The violin parts were played by clarinets, etc.) He was very challenging. It was 1966 and no of us were on that super-achiever track that parents get their kids on today. We were a small class B school for a rural/bedroom community area near a small town in Michigan.

We played a fair bit of classical and the director must have loved jazz because he started a jazz band one year. We competed in the class A division and held our own and sometimes won.

Listening to those records we made, we weren't all *that* good but we played and we played better than we thought we could.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 11:49am

Post #19 of 23 (76 views)
Shortcut
A fantastic new purchase for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Anthony Phillips - The Geese and the Ghost, the highlight of which for me is the beautiful Which Way The Wind Blows, one of the very first songs that Phil Collins (yes, that Phil Collins) sung lead vocals on - just lovely. (Though the album was only released after Phil had already done 2 studio albums as the Genesis lead singer, some 3 years after it was recorded)

Also, I've listened a lot to

Keane - Strangeland
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut (ok, it's miserable, but it is actually quite good)
Yes - Going For The One (their best, in my opinion)

And my usual staple of Genesis, Pink Floyd, Steve Hackett, The Beatles...

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2012, 2:22am

Post #20 of 23 (52 views)
Shortcut
I'm so so glad you discovered The Geese and the Ghost!! It's an album I -Love- so much. It's enchanting and tranquil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another two of my favourite short songs is from that album!
Collections; Sleepfall: The Geese Fly West

and the bonus Master of Time is awesomeness. The lovely peace and warmth in the melody. Just amazing Smile

Glad you've bumped into it!

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

wendy woo
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 4:08am

Post #21 of 23 (49 views)
Shortcut
I guess I'm an idiot, but I could listen to Christmas music all year round. [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to listen to non-traditional Christmas tunes, so the music doesn't seem very much like "Jingle Bells" played on a tinny piano anyway. I tend to have holiday music that sounds more like jazz or pop or classical music than The Carpenters or Nat King Cole (nothing against them, mind you!).

wendy woo
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 4:16am

Post #22 of 23 (56 views)
Shortcut
We have a very good high school band in our community [In reply to] Can't Post

The music director of both our senior and junior high bands is part of a jazz group on the side, so he has the bands play jazz pieces at the booster club fundraising concerts in the winter. They're VERY good, but he won't sell recordings of their pieces for us to buy because of copyright issues with the music. Frown It makes me sad because they have had several great performances that I would have liked to have heard again. I just have to be satisfied with the home videos of them that I have made in the past.

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 12 2012, 3:29pm

Post #23 of 23 (139 views)
Shortcut
I don't think you are an idiot [In reply to] Can't Post

for enjoying Christmas all year round. As you will be able to tell after today's music thread, I also tend toward the non-traditional tune for my Christmas music fix Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.