Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I'm going to wait for the extended edition
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

waaimasjien
Bree

Dec 5 2012, 8:48pm

Post #26 of 40 (268 views)
Shortcut
Yep, same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I quite liked the FotR EE, but FotR is my favorite of the trilogy anyway.

The other EEs are terrible though. I understand the love for them from fans who simply need to see as much as possible from Middle Earth (I'm still waiting on the deleted scenes not included in the EEs myself), but as films, they are extremely badly paced. A film needs to be streamlined to be enjoyable, but at some point the EEs start to feel like your auntie Betty's presentation of all 1000 photos she took on holiday in her own backyard.

So yes, I think the theatricals are superior.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 5 2012, 8:48pm

Post #27 of 40 (290 views)
Shortcut
We have it on good authority that it *has* been confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

...by PJ himself, but it's *still* not official yet. CrazyLaugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Balrogslunch
The Shire

Dec 5 2012, 8:49pm

Post #28 of 40 (251 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched fellowship twice in a row on opening day ! on my own...... :P i think i watched the other two though twice on seperate days :) and Return of the King was with someone....

so if it was a 12.00 screening went to the 3.30pm or whatever too (booking tickets in advance)....i wont be doing that with the Hobbit though sadly ....but will probably watch it more than once!

(This post was edited by Balrogslunch on Dec 5 2012, 8:51pm)

Dlanor da Great
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 8:50pm

Post #29 of 40 (279 views)
Shortcut
I think this might be the problem... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fans want sooo much in this film that it ends up turning alot of regular movie goers off.
Because as most of my friends say, "Its tooo long'. or "slow" and "boring".
PJ tries to satisfy the fans, but I think he gets so caught up that he forgets thats it a movie, not a documentary.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 5 2012, 8:50pm

Post #30 of 40 (263 views)
Shortcut
Really?! [In reply to] Can't Post

You may have just made my week!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 5 2012, 10:09pm

Post #31 of 40 (196 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

don't know about that. I don't mind watching a movie on my own, but going to the cinema alone...nah, not my kind of thing I think. But I would have gone anyway, even if I had to go alone. But, I just found out that my sister and brother-in-law will join my :) although I have serious doubts on whether they will like the movie or not.

EDIT:
Plus, I need someone around to support me emotionally if a certain talking object is in ;)

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

(This post was edited by Ereinion Nénharma on Dec 5 2012, 10:11pm)

belfalas
Bree

Dec 5 2012, 10:24pm

Post #32 of 40 (185 views)
Shortcut
Me too! Let's call it an 'unrestricted' version :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Kendalf
Rohan

Dec 5 2012, 10:51pm

Post #33 of 40 (186 views)
Shortcut
No Narsil?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I believe most of the market stuff with Bilbo has been cut, Bilbo and Narsil and the flashback to Gandalf meeting a very young Bilbo.

What?! No! The shot from the first trailer of Bilbo wandering Rivendell and coming across Narsil has been clipped?! From what I'd picked up from reviews and comments "links abound" with the original trilogy; I'd presumed that would be one of them... Frown

"Show...a little more respect...for faerie tales, Riskbreaker."

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2012, 10:59pm

Post #34 of 40 (180 views)
Shortcut
Yup, asked someone on Twitter and it's indeed cut [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh well, I'm sure it will be in the extended edition Smile

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 5 2012, 11:34pm

Post #35 of 40 (151 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen the film, [In reply to] Can't Post

but as many have reported, there are much material that we have seen or heard of that is not in the film!

I am 99% sure there will be extended cuts (maybe not 30 minuter but 10-15 at least!)

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 6 2012, 1:03am

Post #36 of 40 (121 views)
Shortcut
Except for FOTR the first time [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw all of them alone. I like it--I get to think and soak it in without distraction--usually.

The second time I saw FOTR it was at noon, with a scattered audience of apparently mostly professional/business people. Everyone was pretty much alone. But we did not avoid distraction The woman a few seats away form me started laughing hysterically when Elrond came on for the first time, only to stifle herself quickly when she realized everyone else had succeeded in surpessing their Matrix memories.

(Maybe LOTR is the new matrix!ShockedEvil)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 2:04am

Post #37 of 40 (112 views)
Shortcut
Once with friends is enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw each of the trilogy with a couple of friends the first time, then went back and saw each of them 8-10 times by myself, and i really like it that way (and only Return of the King was a stand-in-line, first showing on the first day experience). To me, watching something that i love, be it a tv show or movie, is usually a solitary experience, like reading a book or listening to music.

It's funny to think back at how unexcited i was for Fellowship, and that it was my friends that really wanted to see it. I really thought they were gonna screw it up. I'd followed it somewhat and thought the casting was unusually great for this sort of thing, and i'd really liked Heavenly Creatures, but i was still fairly reluctant. But then when we saw it the day after christmas, after the first couple of minutes of the prologue, i leaned over to my friend and whispered "this is f***in' awesome", and it reawakened the Tolkien nerd in me that had been dormant since high school.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 2:45am

Post #38 of 40 (120 views)
Shortcut
The Extended Edition is confirmed? [In reply to] Can't Post

Good. I really liked the Narsil scene from the trailer - and we may get to see more of the White Council.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Dec 6 2012, 2:47am)

sphdle1
Gondor

Dec 7 2012, 2:54am

Post #39 of 40 (42 views)
Shortcut
The Fellowship theatrical release felt [In reply to] Can't Post

nothing but awesome to me ... nothing speedy about it. It had perfect depth of character for a first time watch. The EE's were just a bonus later...something to look forward to. Who knows how much time any of us have on this earth, or if our health will fail ... I'm not waiting a day more than I have to in order to see this new movie.

sphdle1

"The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?
Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him."

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 5:36pm

Post #40 of 40 (43 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I didn't expect to like FOTR at all, but [In reply to] Can't Post

once it started, I felt like I was seeing Middle Earth. Not always the right "plot" but definitely the right "place." Then I was hooked!Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.