Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
movie is failing
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 4 2012, 8:52pm

Post #76 of 82 (319 views)
Shortcut
Both RottenTomatoes and MetaCritic [In reply to] Can't Post

are sites which collect reviews and from them assign an overall rating. They're a way to find out "what the critics are saying".

RT gives their rating in the form of a "percentage of freshness", where a review is considered either Fresh (positive) or Rotten (negative) overall, and the percentage is the percentage of overall positive reviews. Thus, The Hobbit is currently rated there as 78% Fresh, with 14 out of 18 reviews so far generally positive.

Metacritic has the critics rate on a percentage scale, then averages their number scores and color codes them into 3 categories: Negative (rated below 40), Mixed (between 40 and 60) and Positive (above 60). The Hobbit is sitting at at Positive 62, with only 5 reviews currently being averaged. (2 positive, 3 mixed, 0 negative).

Silverlode

Arthael
Lorien

Dec 4 2012, 9:17pm

Post #77 of 82 (252 views)
Shortcut
"feel(s) more like cartography than storytelling" [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like any accurate description of Tolkien's writing style.

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Zherkezhi
Bree

Dec 4 2012, 9:19pm

Post #78 of 82 (264 views)
Shortcut
and to paraphrase Sean Astin... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't get enough of these maps!

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 9:42pm

Post #79 of 82 (220 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to giggle at those who examine every review with a magnifying glass to find every possible claim of a flaw to claim "the sky is falling" "the movie is a disaster" "it will be a bomb" "The other two are in trouble."

Sounds and looks good to me.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 11:05pm

Post #80 of 82 (183 views)
Shortcut
I, like you, am happy about the inclusion of The Songs. I am more worried about historical revisionism [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the things the critics dislike are things which those like you and I will recognize as especially true to the tone, spirit, and details of the novel. There are other, more bothersome potential changes to things like the history of The Dwarves, the outcome and details of The War of Dwarves and Goblins/Orcs and what befell (and what did not) at Azanulbizar, not to mention the details of the last wars of Arnor against Angmar. That Jackson may give a wealth of misinformation on those matters is troubling to me. His inclusion of songs that feature in the book is a comfort.

In Reply To
Jackson has much more time on his side to tell the tale now. Although there are issues with the peremptory analysis that claims he spent two minutes a page — basically, two chapters per hour — it is unquestionably true that Jackson has more screentime available to him here in The Hobbit than he had in the The Lord of the Rings.

That doesn’t entirely invalidate Christopher Tolkien’s stinging criticism that pandering to a mass-market audience necessarily warps his father’s tales by turning them into nothing more than action-adventure tales for youth. But it may on this occasion take a bit of the biting edge off that sting.

Some of the points of criticism are to me cause for celebration. For example, I am cheered that they criticize the singing. “Oh gosh, there were not one but two dwarf-songs before the hack-a-thon kicked into gear,” wail the impatient critics.

Fine by me. The lack of song in Jackson’s earlier movies adapting Tolkien has always bothered me. Song is important to the work; just look at what a good job Sibley did with it in his BBC radio adaptation. So unlike its critics, I for one am glad it is there. I am even more overjoyed that it is sung in the very style that the Professor himself envisioned it sung in.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Olessan
Bree

Dec 5 2012, 11:09am

Post #81 of 82 (120 views)
Shortcut
Never trust Metacritic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Metacritic is known as one of the worst sites to go to for honest reviews and scores. It's full of fools that rate before they see the media in question, and who rate unfairly. For example, there are hordes of people who will rate a game overwhelmingly negatively, and then there are also people who,
"Everyone else is rating 1 so I am going bring the score up and rate 10." and "Everyone else is rating 10 so I am going bring the score down and rate 1."
It happens the most with games, and almost as much with movies -- and it seems to happen with the most popular stuff, the movies (and games, but that's not relevant) that most people go to see. The people that rate there massively over-exaggerate issues, such as rating a movie 30% lower because they don't like the colour of a certain part of a character's costume.

Basically, don't trust Metacritic. Laugh

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2012, 6:20pm

Post #82 of 82 (115 views)
Shortcut
Real Critics [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is that once the "real" critic's reviews start rolling in (Mark Kermode, Roger Ebert, Peter Travers, the 2 NPR Davids: Edelstein and Bianculli), things will get much better, and the Metacritic/Rotten Tomatoes average score will end up around 8.5/85%, which is just about what i would have guessed. The Hobbit is just a lighter tale, and will always pale in comparison to The Lord of the Rings, especially now that it's considered a true cinema classic. I'm sure that history will be kind to it though, and it will settle in quite nicely with LOTR as one long, epic, six-part story-- which would be beyond perfect.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.