Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Have you ever had a store refuse to take your money?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 2 2012, 9:36pm

Post #1 of 9 (280 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever had a store refuse to take your money? Can't Post

The lastest Dresden Files book is out and I thought that instead of buying it online, I'd give my custom to a local bricks-and-mortar bookshop. However the store refused to take my order - saying they don't do book orders anymore as so much book-buying is done on the internet.

I just can't figure out why they would refuse a guaranteed sale.

Has anyone else had a similarly bemusing experience from a retail outlet?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 3 2012, 1:02am

Post #2 of 9 (135 views)
Shortcut
I can't remember specifically [In reply to] Can't Post

what I was buying or what store, but I've definitely been turned away and told to order something online before. I think it was from the store's website.

Also, new Dresden Files! How could I not know about it?! I must re-read the last one.. right after I finish reading this giant stack of books I've borrowed for the summer holidays :/

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 3 2012, 1:57am

Post #3 of 9 (110 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

When i was knee high to a short dog i walked into the local penny candy store (where a penny actually bought a 2fer) and emptied my pocket of a nickel and some odd pennies (mixed with some gummy green stuff and melted M&M's)and reached up and put all on the glass top.

It was only to have this new guy tell me to go away and wash it all. I remember the nice smear i made dragging it all back into my hand that showed through the side and top glass sides. It reminded me of what my pet turtle left behind. Well, i just went out and washed my money in a dirty but the only puddle by the curb.

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 3 2012, 4:06am

Post #4 of 9 (117 views)
Shortcut
As a former retail worker.... [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes sources have minimum order requirements, say $500 or so. Even if not a small store buying one copy might not be able to make enough profit to make it worthwhile. I don't know where you live even the big chains that drove out small book stores are all crashing.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 3 2012, 5:01am

Post #5 of 9 (123 views)
Shortcut
While that would make sense, [In reply to] Can't Post

I've ordered books through this store numerous times over the last 20 years, which is why today's denial surprised me.

I've ordered the book now through The Book Depository.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Dec 3 2012, 2:27pm

Post #6 of 9 (72 views)
Shortcut
Book Depository [In reply to] Can't Post

How do they stack up against Amazon? I've been having a lot of trouble with Amazon (and I've used them for years) and BD comes up as an alternative.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 3 2012, 4:46pm

Post #7 of 9 (81 views)
Shortcut
Time [In reply to] Can't Post

If profits are slim or their time costs money, it might not be worth the guaranteed sale. Individual book orders may be such an antiquated process that even publishers might not support it well because it's not worth their time either, especially if they're all busy supporting automated, online sales. Individual or manual attention is expensive. That's not to say the bookseller couldn't reach over to their computer and order it through Amazon for you as a considerate service to a customer, but would you pay a little more - maybe 15% or 20% - to them for the effort? Would you be taken aback if they requested it?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 3 2012, 6:14pm

Post #8 of 9 (79 views)
Shortcut
The only downside [In reply to] Can't Post

to The Book Depository is that it takes two weeks to deliver to New Zealand. However the book always arrives, shipping is free and the price of the books is very reasonable (and downright cheap if you're getting one that's been out for a year or more - which was handy when I was ordering the 12 Dresden Files books that had been published up to that point!).

Ataahua's stories

hobbithobbit

Dec 4 2012, 7:16pm

Post #9 of 9 (126 views)
Shortcut
Amex Not Accepted [In reply to] Can't Post

Sort of related....don't you hate it when some stores don't take your American Express just because it charges a little more than the other major credit cards. I mean, how much more is it going to be to affect a smaller scale local store?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.