Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Is anyone NOT going to watch The Hobbit film and/or hasnít watched the LOTR trilogy?

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 1 2012, 1:08pm

Post #1 of 6 (299 views)
Shortcut
Is anyone NOT going to watch The Hobbit film and/or hasnít watched the LOTR trilogy? Can't Post

Although as a film fan I am certainly very, very excited by the upcoming release of the Hobbit, as a Huge fan of the bookís difference/ separateness to LOTR, I certainly donít feel quite as excited as I did three years ago (back in the days of a Frodoless, radagastless, zombie orcless, Older Thorin two film adaptationÖahh blissful ignorance) and an increasingly large part of me (though still very very small) is doubting whether I can enjoy the film as much as I want too with the massive amount of changes and additions to the book .

(I was introduced to Tolkien through the LOTR film trilogy and still love them as films, and adaptions- sure there are annoying things about it but I doubt anyone else would have been more faithful to book, if the Hobbit is slightly more fiafthful due to three films I'll be happy)

Anyway I was therefore wondering if anyone else had more extreme/ indifferent views towards watching the films. Though itís been a decade since the LOTR came out, some people I know havenít bothered watching the films much-and in some cases have never watched them at all (being massive book purists indifferent to adaptation), with over 8,000 registered users on TORN I was wondering if there is anyone indifferent who hasn't seen the films.

If so why havenít you/ arenít you going to watch any of PJís films? (I donít think Iíd have the will power not tooÖ)

Yeah I know quite a negative post this late in the game! But compoared to other forums I've vsited memebers of TORN seem to have very insightful, and wnderfully diverse opinions.

ĎAs they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ĎAll is now ready.í

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2012, 2:50pm

Post #2 of 6 (159 views)
Shortcut
Haven't quite a few Ringers said they're indifferent towards the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

in general, not just towards to the movie?

Though I wonder how many of them won't at least rent the movie once it's out in Bluray/DVD.

I don't think there's anything negative with you saying you're not interested in the PJ movies, unless you mean to hint that those who are interested in them are somehow inferior to you/lesser Tolkien fans/have worse taste.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 11:49pm

Post #3 of 6 (129 views)
Shortcut
In the beginning [In reply to] Can't Post

even Peter Jackson was a bit less enthusiastic about The Hobbit causing him to invite GdT to do the directing. However, he's discovered a love for the project as it stands on its own merits and story. So I'm coming at this as a completely different story with a few familiar characters and cross-references with LotR... but I in no way do I expect it to be LotR, nor do I want it to be.

My footer says it all for me. I just wanted a chance to go back to that familiar place and enjoy the discovery of something new!

I don't know of anyone who enjoys Tolkien yet hasn't watched any of the films. The only ones I've met who have not seen the films don't know Tolkien or his books... poor souls ;) My best friend of the past 30+ years knows what it means to me, but has absolutely no interest or curiosity about seeing or reading Tolkien's stories... and she's an avid reader.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

squire
Valinor

Dec 3 2012, 5:11am

Post #4 of 6 (96 views)
Shortcut
I'll go see them for the same reason you will, but with the same reservations. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have at all the same sense of giddy anticipation I felt for the LotR films. I'm sure the Hobbit films will be entertaining and interesting to watch, but the vibe I've gotten from all the pre-publicity about them has not been at all in tune with my own feelings for the book. I've never seen The Hobbit as being the same sort of story as LotR, either in its theme or intended audience, but my impression is that the filmmakers have had no choice but to treat the earlier book as "more of the same."

I may change my mind - in many ways I hope I do. But for now, as you put it, I am relatively "indifferent" towards watching the first film in the next couple of weeks.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

sam90
Lorien

Dec 4 2012, 1:08am

Post #5 of 6 (76 views)
Shortcut
THe Hobbit and LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

@grammaboodawg

quote:

'even Peter Jackson was a bit less enthusiastic about The Hobbit causing him to invite GdT to do the directing.'

You're probably right but I do remember Jacskon or Boyen said that in the very beginning of these projects they supposed to do The Hobbit before thinking of LOTR but finally, as it is well known, went with LOTR for it was tougher to acquire the rights to adapt TH at that time... PJ said that he is satisfied with the way thing went in the end. He especially dreaded making a film with 13 Dwarves as main characters so I guess in may be in part why he was less enthousiasthic...

(This post was edited by sam90 on Dec 4 2012, 1:13am)

Melilot Brandybock

Dec 5 2012, 9:04pm

Post #6 of 6 (96 views)
Shortcut
I don't know yet [In reply to] Can't Post

This is really an interesting question, that I have not answered for myself yet. In fact, at the moment I don't have the time to go to cinema, so I can delay the decision for some weeks.
Concerning LOTR: Yes, I am one of those only-book lovers.

I loved the film fellowship of the rings and watched it many times on DVD. I saw TTT in theater and I didn't like it so much for some reasons - and then I decided not to watch ROTK and not to watch the other films again either, because I wanted to keep the images I have in mind since I was a child. You know: Peter Jacksons LOTR-films are great but this is his version, not mine - for example in my version Frodo and the other Hobbits play a much greater role than in the films. So everyone who likes to watch the films should do so and enjoy them. It's just that I realised that I don't need them. What I really like is the german radio produktion. They have choosen wonderfull voices. This is an addition to my imagination and does not replace it.
But then I never felt the same intensity concerning the Hobbit. It's a book I liked and read several times, but I didn't live in it like I did with LOTR.
So perhaps it is not so important for me to save my own images in this case. And I liked all the trailers and pictues I saw. So perhaps...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.