Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Is it bad...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

iandea14
Rivendell

Dec 3 2012, 6:59pm

Post #26 of 34 (264 views)
Shortcut
A bit off topic..... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I personally love Darth Maul from The Phantom Menance.............

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 3 2012, 8:33pm

Post #27 of 34 (207 views)
Shortcut
Continuining to be off-topic... [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you like about Darth Maul? I'm genuinely curious.

I knew someone once who was a big Darth Maul fan and I just didn't get it. While he kinda looks cool, he seems to have zero personality. I honestly felt that Darth Maul was a far bigger problem than Jar Jar Binks for Episode 1...

(Oh, and I love the documentaries in the EE's. I have very mixed feelings about the film commentaries, though. While I love the information in them, I find it very frustrating to watch the movie without being able to hear the dialog and the soundtrack, so I am constantly in a state of agitation when I watch them even though much of the information is interesting. It's also frustrating that about half of the stuff said in the commentaries is stuff that was already said in the documentaries. I watched all the commentaries for FOTR, but never finished all of them for TT and ROTK.)

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 3 2012, 8:50pm

Post #28 of 34 (211 views)
Shortcut
The problem with Darth Maul [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that he died at the end of the film. Otherwise, he's basically just like Vader was in episode 4 - the cool-looking villain with zero personality. Only in subsequent films did Vader gain any sort of personality. Maul would likely have been the same way if he hadn't been killed in the first film.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 1:15am

Post #29 of 34 (227 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Vader had more personality in the first movie. He was mysterious, sure, but you got a sense of his style and personality as a villain, right? I didn't really get much of anything from Darth Maul other than that he looked cool and had a cool lightsaber.

Haven't watched Star Wars in a number of years, though. But I always liked Ep 4 the best.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 3:04am

Post #30 of 34 (203 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly think all perceptions of Vader are now tainted by his subsequent role in films 5 & 6. You can't then watch episode 4 without thinking of his personality and characterization in the next films. But solely based on episode 4, no I don't think that he's any better than Maul. I think if Maul had been in more films, you'd have taken his subsequent development and applied it to The Phantom Menace.

Just my two cents. Angelic

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

weaver
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 4:09am

Post #31 of 34 (217 views)
Shortcut
You know, I've never watched them all... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that is badder! :)

I watched a few of them through the years when we were doing a series here called "The Annotated Scene Discussions" -- and Ohio Hobbit did a great discussion series of his own about them, so I've read about them more than I've watched them. But I agree that they are really enjoyable and interesting. I would love to work on a project that was based on passion and creativity like that, and with so many talented folks. I only get glimpses of that in my line of work.

I just don't have a lot of free time for watching movies or TV or videos at home -- and when I do I fall asleep. But maybe some year I'll finally see them all!

Weaver

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 7:25am

Post #32 of 34 (207 views)
Shortcut
What struck me about Darth Maul [In reply to] Can't Post

Was his pure animal physicality. He had a sort of panther-like grace and power. When he paces back and forth, glowering at Obi-Wan while waiting for the shields to lower, he was, to me anyway, truly menacing. A fully fledged, three dimensional villain? No. But intriguing none the less.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 3:50pm

Post #33 of 34 (241 views)
Shortcut
Cool. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy some people liked him. I actually liked Jar Jar Binks, so I understand how it is to like a character that not everyone does. I'm probably the only person who liked his cameos in the second two movies.

As for why? He's pretty cool looking. Didn't really mind the humor. The gungans in general seemed like a neat race. One of my favorite parts of Star Wars is that the aliens look... alien. Not just humans with nose ridges. And he was different from anything in the first three movies while little else in Phantom Menace was.

At the time, I was perplexed by the race accusations, not really having much knowledge of the history of film caricature and Caribcean accents/pidgins at the time. I now understand that the confluence of the way he talks and acts is probably represents a racist stereotype covered with a coat of alien paint. But it's hard to change my first impression of him.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 7:11am

Post #34 of 34 (279 views)
Shortcut
Amen, TORnFriend! From your post to Warner Brothers' DVDs [In reply to] Can't Post

(and Blu-Rays). Of course, Tolkien's works are literary treasure-troves; I'm not convinced the making of some films should be covered in quite such depth...

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.