Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Possibility of Battle of Dol Guldur?

Wordofmask
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 7:51am

Post #1 of 13 (942 views)
Shortcut
Possibility of Battle of Dol Guldur? Can't Post

Maybe it appear as flashback and I just find out that Galadriel is the one who bring down Dol Guldur from http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Galadriel
I didn't know that Galadriel has such a power Crazy it would be great seeing her on the Battle of Dol Guldur with her powerful magic.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 8:00am

Post #2 of 13 (422 views)
Shortcut
Yup, it certainly would. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we would all agree that if it was going to be shown, then we would've liked to have seen it (in some form) during the ROTK.

Since that's not going to happen, I'm quite happy for PJ to change the timeline, and have Galadriel destroy (or damage) Dol Guldur during the events of The Hobbit.

It's just too awesome not to include it!

Whether it happens or not, is another question. Blanchett was filming for a week or so - is that enough time? We've had hints from P.Boyens about a larger role, but nothing concrete.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Pousette
Rivendell

Nov 30 2012, 8:01am

Post #3 of 13 (453 views)
Shortcut
If you're referring to the picture... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure it's concept art from BFME2. So not really linked to The Hobbit films.

And yes, the elven armies of Rhovanion brings Dol Guldur down, but in the books (the appendices) that's after the fall of Sauron.

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 11:45am

Post #4 of 13 (276 views)
Shortcut
We can only hope [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently Cate said during the premiere she wasn't even sure Galadriel would feature in the next two films. That doesn't make any sense to me (why would they bring her back for just a Council scene?), but there it is.

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Nov 30 2012, 11:54am

Post #5 of 13 (281 views)
Shortcut
don't worry [In reply to] Can't Post

...there will be reshooting ;)
pj has to expand the other two films - i assume, there will be a council-meeting in lothlorien in the next movie. from there the armies of rivendell und lorien will march against dol guldur - and i'm sure, that legolas and tauriel will join with some mirkwood-elves.

elanesse
Rivendell

Nov 30 2012, 1:09pm

Post #6 of 13 (245 views)
Shortcut
they have to show [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel tearing Dol Guldur down. And since she's got an academy award now, her role will be bigger, meaningfuller. So why not showing her true power then? It's her moment. Would like to see it at the end of The Hobbit 2, TDOS. Or if there's enough space, in part 3.

Felagund
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 1:19pm

Post #7 of 13 (253 views)
Shortcut
still nervous about this [In reply to] Can't Post

Think we've both chatted about this before - parallels with Lúthien at Tol Sirion, songs of power and all that). It'd be a great scene but if PJ is going to mess with the timeline it needs to take into account the following (assuming narrative credibility is the driving force):

- Galadriel vs Dol Guldur shouldn't make the LotR audience wonder to themselves "if Galadriel is so awesome then, why didn't she just cast down Barad-dûr during the War of the Ring?"
- if PJ's explanation for Galadriel not being able to cast down Barad-dûr during the War of the Ring after showing she could do a demolition job on Sauron's earlier fortress is "Sauron is just too powerful now", then why has Sauron (shapeshifter and necromancer extraordinaire) been reduced to a floating eyeball?

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Nov 30 2012, 1:22pm

Post #8 of 13 (250 views)
Shortcut
if galadriel is so awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

...why didnt let tolkien her tear barad-dur down instead of dol guldur?
i don#t care if its destroyed by her before LotR
in fact, i really wanna see this - and i won't if pj let dol guldur undestroyed during ring-time

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 2:38pm

Post #9 of 13 (195 views)
Shortcut
I thought that was the explanation? [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely she couldn't destroy Barad-dur unless the Ring was destroyed?

xxxyyy
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 2:56pm

Post #10 of 13 (194 views)
Shortcut
I hope they show that scene... we NEED to know more about the Three Rings. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's hope they tell us more about the Seven too...
That's my only wish for "The Hobbit".

http://energyfromthorium.com/

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 3:00pm

Post #11 of 13 (183 views)
Shortcut
Even if everything else is awful? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's my only wish for "The Hobbit".

Wink

Felagund
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 3:10pm

Post #12 of 13 (175 views)
Shortcut
destruction of the Dark Tower [In reply to] Can't Post

You’re right, Barad-dûr’s structural integrity was bound up with the power of the One Ring – even though construction started c. 600 years before the One Ring was forged. However, at the end of the War of the Last Alliance, the Free Peoples were able to level the Dark Tower. It was the foundations that they were unable to destroy – this was the enduring legacy of the Ring. I guess there's a nuance in ‘destroy’ as opposed to ‘destroy utterly’.

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

(This post was edited by Felagund on Nov 30 2012, 3:14pm)

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 3:35pm

Post #13 of 13 (177 views)
Shortcut
I think, if done correctly [In reply to] Can't Post

it could tie in pretty nicely with the theme of the elves diminishing and leaving Middle Earth, which is so strongly present in the Lord of the Rings. They could make it clear that Dol Guldur is their last show of power in ME, and then have them withdraw to defend their last fortresses, Elrond in Rivendell and Galadriel in Lothlorien.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.