Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
More like ROTK than FOTR...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Nov 30 2012, 3:51pm

Post #26 of 38 (259 views)
Shortcut
Yes it was, [In reply to] Can't Post

But somehow PJ managed to cut RotK making it seem like someone else shot it... I know it doesn't really make sense, but it feels like someone else behind the camera... Frown

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 30 2012, 3:54pm

Post #27 of 38 (255 views)
Shortcut
I'm not understanding [In reply to] Can't Post

what you are getting at. I've seen the appendices more times than I can count. I know they did pick up shoots, but what does that have to do with the style the film was shot in? The pickup shoots end up being no more than a few shots in the final film...not the whole film.
All of the films were shot at once...the vast majority. I absolutely agree that the color tones change throughout the trilogy depending on where they are and the relevance to what is happing in the story....Of course the imagery is different in each film. But all three films had the same cinematographer and they were shot out of sequence all at once.
And I am in fact into cinematography/photography...it's what I do for a living.

Arthael
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 4:27pm

Post #28 of 38 (237 views)
Shortcut
I probably noticed it [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I watched them all back to back. I can definitely notice a distinct difference between the camerawork in FotR and RotK, specifically Frodo and Sam's journey in the first 2/3rds of the film (moreso than the Aragorn/Gondor storyline).

Lots more complex camera moves (like the crane shot of them sleeping on the edge of the Endless Stair) and extreme closeups ("share the load....THE LOAD") as opposed to the medium and medium closeups in FotR.

Another thing (not really to do with camerawork) that differentiates FotR and RotK is an increase in the amounts of sets and green screen work. Compare Amon Hen (mostly on location) with Pelenor Fields (location, but more location+green screen, specifically after Aragorn arrives). And as we know from logistics, I think roughly 2/3rd of the Hobbit was shot on indoor sets, and you can certainly tell from the footage. And I may roll my eyes and wish for the gritty days of the natural light awesomeness of FotR, I love the more-CGI world of RotK and I actually really like the look of The Hobbit from what we've seen thus far. I do think that it has more in common with the epicness of RotK than the simplicity of FotR in terms of visuals.

Either way, I'm excited. I love the cinematography of the trilogy, and it had a huge impact on my photography style, especially when I first started shooting a couple years ago. That's awesome that you do it for a living! Right now I'm a hobbyist who occasionally gets paid ;)

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

(This post was edited by Arthael on Nov 30 2012, 4:35pm)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 4:49pm

Post #29 of 38 (213 views)
Shortcut
I understand where you are coming from [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
what you are getting at. I've seen the appendices more times than I can count. I know they did pick up shoots, but what does that have to do with the style the film was shot in? The pickup shoots end up being no more than a few shots in the final film...not the whole film.
All of the films were shot at once...the vast majority. I absolutely agree that the color tones change throughout the trilogy depending on where they are and the relevance to what is happing in the story....Of course the imagery is different in each film. But all three films had the same cinematographer and they were shot out of sequence all at once.
And I am in fact into cinematography/photography...it's what I do for a living.

We can actually use the star wars movies as an example. With the original trilogy they all "felt" and looked the same. Although, there are a few noticeable differences because of I guess what looks like upgrades in camera.

Which is interesting because all 3 were filmed with a few years in between and with 3 different directors. Also, the prequels all have the same sort of look to them as well.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

burgahobbit
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 4:49pm

Post #30 of 38 (228 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your first theater experience? The Hobbit? HFR 3D? You are going to BE COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY!!!!

Enjoy the experience! Laugh

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Nov 30 2012, 4:51pm)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 4:53pm

Post #31 of 38 (216 views)
Shortcut
specifically indoor sets? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just out of curiosity are you certain it's 2/3 indoor sets and not just all sets, which would include Dale, an outdoor set?

Hopefully it's 2/3 all sets. Honestly, I think the sets filmed outdoor (Minas Tirith) look much more realistic than ones filmed indoor (Parts of Rivendell) even if the outdoor ones use green screen.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Nov 30 2012, 5:05pm

Post #32 of 38 (208 views)
Shortcut
hfr [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm feeling the same way a little bit. I invited my friends to the midnight showing in HFR and I hope they will like it and not have their experience be somewhat ruined. I don't think it will though.

Arthael
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 5:09pm

Post #33 of 38 (202 views)
Shortcut
Not completely certain [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they talk about it in one of the early V-logs, like "we've completed our 200-something days of shooting, now it's time for 100 days of location shooting" or something like that.

And I agree 100%, the Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith, Osgiliath and specifically Edoras sets were beautiful and some of the best parts of the movies. From the set photos of bard on the rooftops with a huge green behind him, we know at least a some of Dale appears to be an indoor set. Now i'm not sure that it wasn't just an outdoor green screen, or perhaps that's what they'll be using for the destruction sequence, which would be fair since it's a lot of stunt work. But yeah I really really hope we get natural looking sets whenever we can. From the trailers, the only real outdoor sets in AUJ will prob be The Shire :/ but then again, I assume half the movie takes place underground.

In light of the whole trilogy, the only outdoor sets may be Dale, the barrel escape, and (hopefully) some of the plain where the Bo5A takes place. And of course the gorgeous helicopter shots we've seen in the trailer :) but just about everything else takes place inside or underground, and I think Mirkwood is a set.

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 5:13pm

Post #34 of 38 (224 views)
Shortcut
Should I panic? [In reply to] Can't Post

I preferred TTT and FOTR to ROTK, so I guess I should throw a fit about how worried I am that The Hobbit won't be any good, right? Sly

Alas, I love ROTK too, and am content to enjoy AUJ on its own terms when it comes out.

I'm guessing some of the Dwarven battles in the flashbacks might be what makes it feel ike RotK? Just a guess.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 5:17pm

Post #35 of 38 (196 views)
Shortcut
Thank you burgahobbit! I can't wait! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arthael
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 5:25pm

Post #36 of 38 (183 views)
Shortcut
Funnily Enough [In reply to] Can't Post

The 1.5 second shot of charging dwarves made me think of the Prologue more than anything else, the swooping shot of orcs as they charge the Elves. Even though it's a crappy handheld recording of a tv, that might be the single most exciting image I've seen for this movie. I'm so ready for this!!

totoro
Lorien

Dec 1 2012, 2:18am

Post #37 of 38 (110 views)
Shortcut
It's OK [In reply to] Can't Post

Not everyone can have the correct opinion. Cool

In Reply To
I preferred TTT and FOTR to ROTK, so I guess I should throw a fit about how worried I am that The Hobbit won't be any good, right? Sly

Alas, I love ROTK too, and am content to enjoy AUJ on its own terms when it comes out.

I'm guessing some of the Dwarven battles in the flashbacks might be what makes it feel ike RotK? Just a guess.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Dec 1 2012, 6:12pm

Post #38 of 38 (98 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh yes I see [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks that's kind of giving me a better idea.

And I think there were some shots in that leaked blog that showed the daytime of laketown to be filmed outside in the sun which is good in my opinion. And Dale is built outside as well which is good.

And as you said, I hope the BO5A is mostly filmed outside.

It's not that I think indoor sets are always bad. It's just that I think if all the sets are indoors it can kind of add a little too much artificiality to the overall look. But it's best when you have a mixture of indoor, outdoor, and location shooting.

And as you said, minas tirith osgiliath and helms deep looked great even if though they were sets. And of course, hobbiton and edoras were wonderfull.

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Dec 1 2012, 6:14pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.