Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
how do you feel about the eagles rescue ending now?

lurtz2010
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 6:19am

Post #1 of 12 (1099 views)
Shortcut
how do you feel about the eagles rescue ending now? Can't Post

When it was confirmed with the updated "scroll" that it wouldn't end at the barrel escape but at the eagles rescue instead I had knot in my stomach all that day thinking about it lol. Back when it was just 2 movies I actually thought the first one would include everything up to the barrel escape with most of the White Council at Dol Guldur stuff aswell.

Thinking about that now though, it makes me realise how cramped and rushed that first movie would've been. If they can now make a full movie that only includes the events up to the eagles rescue plus flashbacks etc then how would it have worked with Beorn, Mirkwood and the Elven Halls too?

I now think this part of the book is the perfect conclusion to the first act. Obvioulsy it won't end with the eagles flying into the distance, they'll probably land on the cliffs or somewhere and discuss what just happened and what they'll do next.

(This post was edited by lurtz2010 on Nov 29 2012, 6:19am)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Nov 29 2012, 6:23am

Post #2 of 12 (473 views)
Shortcut
I think the same about it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...with it ending after the barrels, you would have had a very long, and up and down movie with multiple climaxes and build-ups. The audience may have started to fatigue around the character heavy Mirkwood scenes.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 6:29am

Post #3 of 12 (449 views)
Shortcut
I've certainly warmed up to it [In reply to] Can't Post

I was also very disappointed when I found out it wouldn't last until the barrels. My favourite aspect of TH and LOTR is the journey, and to have that cut short felt like a bummer. Then, I realized that there would be two films about the journey instead of one, and my excitement increased again.

Isn't it funny how the story feels cramped now if it would have been 2 films?

If you think about it, there are hardly any book to film adaptations that include everything in the book and also expand on it. If you think about how much was left out of LOTR, they could have made 6-9 films out of it.

I'm honestly most excited for AUJ. TDOS will hopefully be good as well, but I'm not too thrilled for TABA. I just love a good road story. It's awesome to see characters go through a literal journey and an emotional one as well.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

totoro
Lorien

Nov 29 2012, 6:53am

Post #4 of 12 (402 views)
Shortcut
I was happy with the split as soon as it was announced! nt [In reply to] Can't Post

Wordofmask
Lorien

Nov 29 2012, 7:09am

Post #5 of 12 (372 views)
Shortcut
Sound good ending for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some thread below had discussed about the ending. The use of song of the lonely mountain theory. The eagles may drop them at a cliff somewhere. Gandalf's farewell. after all they could see their distant kingdom (Erebor). Thorin's willful face sound very good ending scene for me. it would perfectly match with the following song of lonely mountain at a credit.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 29 2012, 9:11am

Post #6 of 12 (340 views)
Shortcut
Well, at the risk of stating the obvious... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we don't know exactly how it will end or exactly where in the story. Somewhere around the time of the eagle rescue, but that leaves a whole lot of room for interpretation.

In any case, it never was an issue for me because it's not as if they've cut anything out. We'll still see Mirkwood and the barrels, just a bit later, and they've given themselves time not to rush it. So long as the end feels like a satisfying end, while still anticipating what's to come that's fine - and I'm certain it will.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 29 2012, 10:38am

Post #7 of 12 (320 views)
Shortcut
I always thought cutting the film before Mirkwood would be a bad idea, for two reasons. [In reply to] Can't Post

1) We had known for a very long time that the original duology was going to split around the barrel escape. I thought it would make for a great ending. It took me awhile to adjust to the idea of a trilogy. And subsequently ...

2) I didn't think a 3 hour film could carry a story up until the Eagle rescue. That 7 minute fan cut of all available footage convinced me otherwise.

It seems reasonable now, and I'm dieing to see it!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Nov 29 2012, 12:30pm

Post #8 of 12 (228 views)
Shortcut
I always thought the barrels was a perfect ending! [In reply to] Can't Post

I still think it is, but I have now gotten used to the trilogy-decision and I am really looking forward to it Smile

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

imin
Valinor

Nov 29 2012, 1:06pm

Post #9 of 12 (221 views)
Shortcut
I always thought a good ending [In reply to] Can't Post

and a natural change in story was when Gandalf left them on the edge of Mirkwood.

So the film would end with them leaving Beorn's Hall or with Gandalf riding off into the distance as they slowly walk into Mirkwood, kinda like Frodo and Sam at the end of FOTR and TTT.

i also feel that is enough material for both films 1 and 2 (when there was just 2), though i know a much more popular idea was to end with the barrel ride - too much for film 1 in my opinion.

I still think ending at the edge of Mirkwood could work as a 2 film split but they have added more stuff so it would be 2 films 5 hours long, lol.

With it ending with the eagles/carrock i am fine with it, its not too far from where i wanted - only missing out Beorn and it will work well to re-introduce the characters a year later in DOS to Beorn and the audience.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Nov 29 2012, 2:35pm

Post #10 of 12 (179 views)
Shortcut
Reintroduction [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. The ending allows for the characters to be reintroduced to Beorn but in an new exciting/dangerous sort of way that should prevent any repetitive feeling. I think this break allows for all the tension of Mirkwood exploits to rise and fall toward the beginning of the second allowing for the big build up to Smaug.

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 3:28pm

Post #11 of 12 (169 views)
Shortcut
It will end at the Carrock. Bank on it. [In reply to] Can't Post

The art book's last scene is the Carrock. There's no talk of Beorn being in the movie. I am 99% certain that the film will end with the eagles dropping off the party at the Carrock.

As for how I feel about the ending - it's still wait and see for me. Depends how the movie flows. PJ probably knows what he's doing, though.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 4:40pm

Post #12 of 12 (142 views)
Shortcut
Changed my mind about it making cinematic sense [In reply to] Can't Post

but still feeling sad about seeing Beorn and Mirkwood being postponed by a whole year!

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.