The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: Funeral Gathering in Edoras

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 12:36am

Post #1 of 9 (629 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: Funeral Gathering in Edoras Can't Post

Hi people, haven't been in tune with SCOD recently, been mega-busy with studying, but here's one for ya! I personally have little love for this shot, it's messy, crowded and lacks clarity, and a nice angle IMO, but that is why I had chosen it; you can't always have brilliant caps eh?

1. Do you like this shot? Explain why / why not!

2. Greeeen lots of it. It's in the funeral of Théodred that the primary colour of the Rohirrim is revealed, but what does it convey to you?

3. Hmmm, is it me or Edoras is rather slim in population?

4. Extra thoughts :)

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 29 2012, 8:43am)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 29 2012, 1:09am

Post #2 of 9 (363 views)
Shortcut
Love this scene [In reply to] Can't Post

It's very raw and real. Miranda really shines in this scene through her singing.

About this shot though, I must say it adds to the raw feeling. All these people look disheartened and overwhelmed by Theodred's death. While it does look like the population needs a bit of a boost, don't forget there are people lined up all the way to the mounds outside the gates. That's got to be quite a few more people!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 1:20am

Post #3 of 9 (349 views)
Shortcut
Good point!! Hadn't thought of the psychological effect that this shot gives.. the messiness of it in fact enhances that sombriety [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for that insight Ardamírë :D

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 29 2012, 1:50am

Post #4 of 9 (332 views)
Shortcut
No problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to be able to give someone some insight for once. Always seems to be the other way around Angelic

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

weaver
Half-elven

Nov 29 2012, 1:51am

Post #5 of 9 (360 views)
Shortcut
One of the EE shots I actually like... [In reply to] Can't Post

Film Theoden's guilt and grief over Theodred's death is a big part of his psyche, and this scene deepens that aspect of the story; that said, I don't think it was essential to the film (having Theoden grieve at the funeral mounds is enough), to me, it's more like a part of the book story you'd find in the appendices and not as part of the narrative.

Beyond Theoden, also, it also fits with Gimli's observation that "you'd find more cheer in a graveyard" -- while I really liked the rolling green grasslands of the book, I can see why they went for the raw, windblown, depressive kind of look of the films, which visually shows that the culture has been attacked and ravaged by Saruman better than green pastureland would have conveyed.

Weaver

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 3:56am

Post #6 of 9 (346 views)
Shortcut
Definitely a lot of green [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Do you like this shot? Explain why / why not!

As a still, it is messy, as you said. But it worked better in the film. Not every single frame from a movie can stand alone. But I must say, it's an interesting angle.

2. Greeeen lots of it. It's in the funeral of Théodred that the primary colour of the Rohirrim is revealed, but what does it convey to you?

Well, it is a rather funereal green - dark and somber. But the fact that they would wear green to a funeral rather than black, I think, shows a pragmatism, and even a bit of positivity that life does continue even when individuals pass.

3. Hmmm, is it me or Edoras is rather slim in population?

In addition to what Ardamire (sorry, I don't know how to do diacritics without Word :P), Eomer and his followers have been cast out at this point, so that's however many fewer citizens.

4. Extra thoughts :)

Thanks for taking time out from studying to come play with us here Smile Now get back to work! Haha, just kiddingLaugh Hang in there, Christmas break will be here soon. Smile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

(This post was edited by zarabia on Nov 29 2012, 3:57am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 29 2012, 8:43am

Post #7 of 9 (361 views)
Shortcut
Sorry Xanaseb, [In reply to] Can't Post

but you'll have to resize that image to our guidelines - it was very oversized.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 29 2012, 2:26pm

Post #8 of 9 (313 views)
Shortcut
No worries! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how to do them without Word either Wink

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 6:44pm

Post #9 of 9 (440 views)
Shortcut
Ah... I was sure I did it the same as I always do.. but clearly I was not XD hehe, it was laaate night posting I mucked up hehe // [In reply to] Can't Post

That better? hehe

Big version here!

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Nov 29 2012, 6:49pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.