Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
An unexpected deadline

Irish hobbit

Nov 27 2012, 6:08pm

Post #1 of 16 (419 views)
Shortcut
An unexpected deadline Can't Post

Hi all, Irish Hobbit here. I'm doing a project on fan culture and fandom which the deadline has come unexpectedly upon me, and as a developing ringer I have decided to choose the excellent and admirable people of theonering.net as the basis of my study. All you need do is answer these questions four as honestly and as long as you want.
1.When and why did you get into LOTR?
2.What initially made you fall in love with it?
3.Do you see yourself as a more dedicated fan than other people who like LOTR?
4.Where do you get your information and knowledge to maintain your interest?
Many thanks for the help, Irish Hobbit

Ioreth
The Shire

Nov 27 2012, 7:19pm

Post #2 of 16 (150 views)
Shortcut
for over 30 years part of my life ... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was 10 I snatched the Two Towers in the swedish translation done by Ňke Ohlmarks from my parents bookshelf and was hooked ... Still remember, over 30 years later!, that I put down the book, RAN as fast as I could to the local little library in the town in mid-southern Sweden's countryside where I lived and checked out The Return of the King (also in swedish translation done by the same)
When in my tweens I switched to the original English versions and seldom have looked back to -any- translation.

Finally a book with a *whole world* in it - with geography, genealogy (I really like clear diagrams and exact birthdates! :) ...) history, ancient history, LANGUAGES, poetry, elves, LANDSCAPEs etc etc etc ... Especially the glimpses of both ancient history and ancient language history fascinated most (had a bilingual upbringing myself)

Perhaps :) - some usually call me uebergeek :)

Very very very much online and in various publications, but also in the two Tolkien Societies I am a member of (Forodrim, The Tolkien society of Stockholm - http://www.forodrim.org and Mithlond, the Tolkien Society of Gothenburg - http://www.mithlond.se)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 7:47pm

Post #3 of 16 (145 views)
Shortcut
*waves howdy* :D [In reply to] Can't Post

HEY Irish hobbit! I'm glad you made it! HAVE FUN! :D

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 28 2012, 2:11pm

Post #4 of 16 (111 views)
Shortcut
It's been a long, unexpected journey [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was about 13, my family was at the local library and I was looking for new things to read. I had long outgrown the kiddie and young adult sections. My mom handed me FOTR and said, ďHere, I think youíll like this.Ē The rest is history. I kept taking the trilogy out of the library until the paperbacks basically fell apart. I managed to get a FOTR somehow, and I actually pretended I lost the libraryís ROTK, paid the fine and kept it (cheap used book) but I didnít have a TTT. So I copied it out by hand onto looseleaf paper. It took months and filled two big 3-ring binders. I still have that somewhere. I also had friends who liked the books, during this formative period. One girlfriend wrote music for Samís Troll song. My boyfriend bought me a hardcover LOTR set for my 16th birthday, with a long poem inscribed inside the front cover in Tengwar (I married him).

Others may mention the worldbuilding or languages. For me, it was the themes and characters. I was a big reader of science fiction already, so I had exposure to the idea of subcreation Ė the alternative universe was familiar. But as an adolescent searching for what kind of person I wanted to be, I was very attracted to the themes of friendship, duty, honor, sacrifice, wisdom, laughter, comfort, adventure, fidelity, hope, family ties, love of the land, courage in the darkness, the triumph of good, the healing to be found in tears. I also fell in love with Frodo (as I still am today). He was my role model when times got hard. He did his best, and kept doing it. He wasnít strong, or rich, or powerful, but he made a difference. I could relate to that.

No, not at all. I might have been the geekiest fan I knew personally during the early years, but since I found communities like this on the internet, I am in awe of the scholarship, dedication and enthusiasm of so many other fans I have met. (I do have to mention, though, that I am very proud of the "LOTR Jeopardy Winner" coffee mug I have from the 2006 Chicago TORn moot. I drank my coffee out of it this morning.)

The source material is my primary inspiration. I re-read Tolkien, and I am in love all over again. A secondary source would be the meta materials: Christopher Tolkienís History of Middle Earth, other scholarly books and critical analyses, including those found online, including this site. A third source of enthusiasm and ideas are fan communities, like TORn, but also looser communities of like-minded individuals such as found on LiveJournal. I love fanfic as an means to dissect and extend meaning, and I am a (peripheral) member of a couple of those communities as well.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Donry
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2012, 2:58pm

Post #5 of 16 (114 views)
Shortcut
Alright.... [In reply to] Can't Post

My Grade 4 teacher read the Hobbit to our class. I read LOTR that summer on my own. I loved the Hobbit, blew my mind so I wanted to read whatever I could by Tolkien. I attempted the Silmarillion then too, but didn't get through it the first time.

The characters. I have always loved Tolkien's characters. Tolkien's storytelling was also a reason. And last but certainly not least, is Middle Earth - a land of good and evil, beauty and desolation, hope and despair. It has everything except NFL Football.

In my circle of friends? Abosutely. As for here on TOR.n? Absolutely not, I couldn't even come close to some of the folks on here.

theonering.net is the first place I go. And most often, the only place I need to go. Everything stems from here.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 28 2012, 3:20pm

Post #6 of 16 (142 views)
Shortcut
*sticks gold star onto FF's forehead* [In reply to] Can't Post

You "lost" a ROTK library book? You hand-copied TTT on loose-leaf notebook paper?

Here's a new mug for your collection: Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 28 2012, 4:15pm

Post #7 of 16 (106 views)
Shortcut
Bomby was given the 4 Books by brother for Christmas Presents [In reply to] Can't Post

in 1966. He knew they were popular and knew I. Loved
"LOST HORIZON" by James Hilton(still favorite Movie of All Time)

Turns out when I brought these books at school many more 17year olds were reading it too. That summer my Best Friend and I painted an old Ford pick-up truck(1949)...with images from the LOTR& The Hobbit all over the exterior. And had my mother make us Hobbit hooded pull overs.
Driving around Colorado Springs we were consider the First Hippies there. Also that was " the Summer of Love" in Haight Asbury/San Francisco and on TV were Glimspes of Hobbit themed art and people.
My senior year many people would run up and say,how glad they were I turned them on to it.
Graduating and moving to Boulder there were a thing called Head shops were I bot a " Frodo Lives" button and. " Gandalf for President" which I wore to school everyday. Well strangers would come to Talk. TOLKIEN?

That freshman year it was the Buzz on Campus as students from all over
were fans. Also I was working just Off-Campus at the Famous 3.2 Beer
Hall that had seating for about 250 people where Rock Bands would play.

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Nov 28 2012, 4:16pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 28 2012, 4:32pm

Post #8 of 16 (155 views)
Shortcut
Part two One Band called "Frantics" had a Liquid Light Show.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Captain Whizzo" taught me his Tricks with overhead Projectors and oil and water.
Then later that summer Bomby had one man Liquid LightShow...called
The Arkenstone LightShow
Wednesdays and Sundays. With friends we performed for "the Jefferson Starship" " Flash Cadillac and the Contential Kids" and "Zefpher" for a Crowd of 3000.
Grace Slick came up TO? Bomby and Thanked ME?
When walked away she said "NamariŤ"
There is much much though the last 45 years..meeting my partner of over 21 years at a Used Book...What was she reading?
Sadly my Goldberry passed into the West...but she'll be sitting on my shoulder likTinkerbell whispering in Bombay's ear..at the the we were always hoping to see...

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 28 2012, 4:34pm

Post #9 of 16 (89 views)
Shortcut
One more things...Our cats are named? [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen&Aragorn.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 28 2012, 4:34pm

Post #10 of 16 (88 views)
Shortcut
Bomby... [In reply to] Can't Post

my cousin, with whom I was pretty close, used to do lightshows. That's kind of a blast from the past, isn't it?

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 28 2012, 4:59pm

Post #11 of 16 (86 views)
Shortcut
Magpie any Response from You is.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Is held inTHE Highest reguard!
!Heart
(Isooo wish you could have
known my Goldberry)

I. burst into tears watching Andy&Wife
on the Red Carpet....she looked so
Golden....momentarily Bomby
thought Gollum stole her
away from Bomby?

Asger
Bree

Nov 28 2012, 6:51pm

Post #12 of 16 (94 views)
Shortcut
Deadline [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1.When and why did you get into LOTR? I learnt of the existence of LotR about 1973 by reading Marvel Comics, once in a while some comicbook would refer to them, and I finally found them tr. into Danish at my local library. When my brothers and I had read TH, we fought about who should read FR first.
2.What initially made you fall in love with it? The 'other world' thing, it was new to me, I actually fell into ME.
Sure, I've never met anyone more geeky than me. I'm actually for about 30 ys writing a novel set i ME. But ofcourse there's thousands of even more dedicated fans around the wwworld. 4.Where do you get your information and knowledge to maintain your interest? Before it was mainly from Tolkiens posthumely published works, but now its ToRn.
Many thanks for the help, Irish Hobbit I thank YOU

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 28 2012, 11:39pm

Post #13 of 16 (88 views)
Shortcut
Quite the beautiful song you sing FF. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very beautiful indeed.

weaver
Half-elven

Nov 29 2012, 1:29am

Post #14 of 16 (64 views)
Shortcut
well, since I didn't get to go to NZ I have time to do this! [In reply to] Can't Post

1.When and why did you get into LOTR? -- A good friend had read them and she inspired me to do so also.

2.What initially made you fall in love with it? -- I read them in college, at a time of great change in my life, a lot of it bittersweet. The themes of LOTR really resonated with that time of my life, as some parts of my life faded away, new friends were met, and there was much time to talk about the big things in life. And, I had more time for walking out under the stars back then, and a longing for Faerie. I think I encountered LOTR as exactly the right time for me.

3.Do you see yourself as a more dedicated fan than other people who like LOTR? -- More than some, not as much as others. I've read and studied more about the development of LOTR and Tolkien than other books read for pleasure, but have not crossed over into the serious academic side or fandom in the sense of conventions and fanfic and such. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate myself a 6; on TORn, a bit higher.

4.Where do you get your information and knowledge to maintain your interest?-- Books and TORn. I've read HOME, Letters, various biographies, and some of the scholarly books that have come out in recent years on Tolkien. TORn's Reading Room discussions have done a lot to introduce me to some of the more academic/scholarly aspects of Tolkien so that has been an especially good resource for me.

I also want to let you know that we do have a little project going called 'The Mathom House" that is working on organizing the content of the site in ways that could be helpful to researchers...it's still in the early stages, but you might find it helpful! Magpie is the keeper of the keys to the place, so you can find out more about it from her..I know there was at least one thesis done that analyzed content on our message boards, also, which she may be able to give you a link to.

Good luck with your work and do stop back and let us know how your project turns out! And come back and visit when you have time!

Weaver

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 1:32pm

Post #15 of 16 (47 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I did copy it [In reply to] Can't Post

This was the days before computers, so a long-hand transcription was the best I could do. Now, of course, I've typed the whole thing into a word document.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 1:33pm

Post #16 of 16 (135 views)
Shortcut
Thanks you [In reply to] Can't Post

I spend a lot of time thinking about Middle-earth. Everyone's got to have a vice, and mine involves hobbits.

Wait. That didn't come out quite right.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.