Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Where is Gandalf during the Trollshaws episode?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 27 2012, 10:02am

Post #26 of 41 (223 views)
Shortcut
Do we definitely know that the Morgul blade [In reply to] Can't Post

Is found in the tomb? I know they are discussed in the same breath according to the cinema con footage but is there a possibility that actually the blade was found prior to events and this is Gandalf's pointer to then go and investigate the tombs?

In which case he could even go after Rivendell (to be back in time for the Goblin King)

LR

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 27 2012, 10:22am

Post #27 of 41 (212 views)
Shortcut
Are we going by the photo here? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I thought that the picture most people thought was Gandalf finding Glamdring was actually Orcrist in a very corroded scabbard.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2012, 10:32am

Post #28 of 41 (205 views)
Shortcut
Not EMPIRE, it was Quint's Set report... [In reply to] Can't Post

An Unexpected Journey: Quint on the set of The Hobbit Part 5 – Thorin's Dilemma
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52094

Armitage does a great job with Thorin’s inner struggle. The look on his face isn’t someone locked into a decision. Gandalf urges him to seek Elrond’s help, for the good of the quest. Instead of playing it like a stone-faced general, Armitage does weigh his options and mostly in reaction to Gandalf’s words, not in his own dialogue.
In other words he conveys the struggle with his face, giving Thorin a depth I was anticipating. I’m sure the inclination would be for Armitage to play it stubborn and he does, but he layers it with some real emotion.
I was wondering how they were going to handle Gandalf’s disappearances, which in the book always happened at the worst possible times with the wizard pretty much just saying “Alright guys, good luck. Gotta run!” That wouldn’t fly too much in the movie, I don’t think, even though we are getting more glimpses into just where Gandalf is zapping off to.
In this instance Gandalf’s departure is an emotionally driven one. The dwarves and Bilbo stay behind, Bilbo especially concerned about losing their Wizard. Will he come back? Nobody knows.

The previous set report is also pertinent...it deals with filming in the abandoned farmhouse, at the Trollshaws and also the scene between Radagast & Gandalf...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52078

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Snatcher
The Shire

Nov 27 2012, 10:32am

Post #29 of 41 (195 views)
Shortcut
Why do people keep on saying that Gandalf has Orcrist when going in Dol Guldur the first time? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Another sequence expanded upon in the movie will be the Thrain-Gandalf encounter in Dol Guldur, which should really happen in flashback to show Gandalf retrieving the key and map, now looks like it may be pushed back to film two, since Gandalf has Orcrist in both of these scenes.

In the very first trailer, when we see Gandalf fighting Thrain, he only has his staff.

And if you are referring to the other shots of Gandalf in Dol Guldur (in which he does have Orcrist), how do you know it's from the same scene?

I remain convinced that Gandalf's encounter with Thrain in Dol Guldur will be a flashback.

(This post was edited by Snatcher on Nov 27 2012, 10:33am)

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 27 2012, 10:42am

Post #30 of 41 (188 views)
Shortcut
No it's mentioned in [In reply to] Can't Post

Various quotes and, of course, we have the scene of Elrond telling Gandalf about the sword in the second trailer.

LR

Snatcher
The Shire

Nov 27 2012, 11:29am

Post #31 of 41 (177 views)
Shortcut
I meant "Glamdring", of course. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

In Reply To

In Reply To
Another sequence expanded upon in the movie will be the Thrain-Gandalf encounter in Dol Guldur, which should really happen in flashback to show Gandalf retrieving the key and map, now looks like it may be pushed back to film two, since Gandalf has Orcrist in both of these scenes.

In the very first trailer, when we see Gandalf fighting Thrain, he only has his staff.

And if you are referring to the other shots of Gandalf in Dol Guldur (in which he does have Orcrist), how do you know it's from the same scene?

I remain convinced that Gandalf's encounter with Thrain in Dol Guldur will be a flashback.

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 27 2012, 1:25pm

Post #32 of 41 (160 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps Radagast brings swords with him [In reply to] Can't Post

Otherwise, I can only think of the two explanations: Gandalf leaves the party again after the troll incident, but returns in time for the warg attack (so what are the dwarves doing in the meantime?); or the visit to the tomb takes place while the dwarves are resting in Rivendell. The second is probably the more parsimonious of the two.

It would still be simpler to have him at the tomb during the troll scene; there just needs to be an explanation for that sword.

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 27 2012, 1:28pm

Post #33 of 41 (158 views)
Shortcut
I think you may have it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is found in the tomb? I know they are discussed in the same breath according to the cinema con footage but is there a possibility that actually the blade was found prior to events and this is Gandalf's pointer to then go and investigate the tombs?

In which case he could even go after Rivendell (to be back in time for the Goblin King)

This is a very plausible idea, I think. Maybe the Morgul blade is also found in the troll hoard. Someone did mention that it's the troll incident that alerts Gandalf to the fact that all isn't well in the world, since trolls have come so far from the mountains. And maybe having cursed weapons in their luggage is another clue.

Edit to add: Can anyone who still has access to the soundtrack say whether the Mordor/Morgul theme is present in A Troll Hoard?

Edit again: Or maybe the blade comes from the warg riders, who have perhaps been sent to Eriador from Dol Guldur specifically to free the Nazgul.

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Nov 27 2012, 1:33pm)

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 27 2012, 1:51pm

Post #34 of 41 (143 views)
Shortcut
I have another explanation [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf decides he will need to be armed to investigate the tombs, so he borrows a sword from Thorin. Whilst in the tombs, Gandalf looses the sword down a bottomless shaft. So, after defeating the trolls, Gandalf and Thorin both need new swords.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 27 2012, 3:24pm

Post #35 of 41 (125 views)
Shortcut
It's the same scabbard though. [In reply to] Can't Post

Same shape, silver at the tip. Must be the same sword.

LR

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2012, 4:55pm

Post #36 of 41 (112 views)
Shortcut
This could work, however it appears to be day outside the Nazgul tomb [In reply to] Can't Post

in what I assume is Gandy entering it in the second trailer, which would seem to indicate that this occurs after the Trollshaw scene.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2012, 4:59pm

Post #37 of 41 (114 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps, but IMO the progression would work better/more clearly [In reply to] Can't Post

if Gandy has some other impetus for heading to the tomb (either something else he's discovered or Raddy's report...perhaps Raddy has seen the Nazgul in Mirkwood and Gandy wants to confirm that they've left their tomb?), so the Morgul blade, found in the resting place of the Nazgul, could be a narrative throughway to the White Council scene.

His finding it in the troll-hoarde could work, though they'd need Gandy to realize it's not been there for ages ALA Glamdring and Orcirst.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 27 2012, 6:04pm

Post #38 of 41 (99 views)
Shortcut
Orcrist and Glamdring [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if Orcrist and Glamdring were supposed to have been buried with the Nazgul, and finding them in the troll hoard is part of the mystery Gandalf is trying to unravel.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 9:46pm

Post #39 of 41 (78 views)
Shortcut
Why would two important blades of Gondolin be buried with the Wraiths? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 27 2012, 10:04pm

Post #40 of 41 (72 views)
Shortcut
Although looking again [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't go along with the Orcrist theory for the sword picture as it happens.

LR

totoro
Lorien

Nov 28 2012, 8:59am

Post #41 of 41 (67 views)
Shortcut
We know that Gandalf stays in Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

He could easily go on a mission for the WC before getting back to Goblin Town in the nick of time.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.