Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Outstanding French Magazine Interview (possible spoilers)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Nov 26 2012, 1:14pm

Post #51 of 69 (453 views)
Shortcut
The fact remains [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin is a haughty,grumpy old Dwarf.To have him cheery about this adventure is not Thorin in the slightest.Everytime he talks to Bilbo, it dosen't seem like he doubts him at all.It seems like the opposite.I've yet to see his haughtiness in R.A's portrayal.He feels a little too welcoming to Bilbo for my liking.ShockedLike when he says,"so, this is the hobbit" It seems like he'll throw a welcoming party for Bilbo.I'm not even joking.UnimpressedI was hoping he'd say something like.You call this a Burgler? seems more like a grocer or something among those lines and completely in the spirit of Tolkien.Wink

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Nov 26 2012, 1:22pm)

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Nov 26 2012, 1:31pm

Post #52 of 69 (386 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

From the first time I heard it, I take the "So...this is the hobbit" line as doubtful and condescending.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2012, 1:36pm

Post #53 of 69 (358 views)
Shortcut
I would distinguish between those. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be difficult to present a six foot tall character and expect the audience to interpret that character as a dwarf. I don't think there is much danger of presenting a four foot high character with a shorter beard and people mistaking him for an elf / man etc.
This seems like elves' hair colour again to me.
LR

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 26 2012, 1:45pm

Post #54 of 69 (352 views)
Shortcut
No kidding [In reply to] Can't Post

I have gotten little but haughtiness from the Thorin snippets we've seen (which is just as it should be).

Well, that's not quite true. Haughtiness is always there, but I've also gotten frustration, shame, fear of failure and inadequacy, and burning anger that is never far from the surface. This guy is going to deliver.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 26 2012, 2:04pm

Post #55 of 69 (367 views)
Shortcut
Armitage is far from being a vain actor. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Richard Armitage would be happy to play the typical dwarf, as opposed to the Heroic handsome good looking warrior? I think that R.A had more to do with the changes than people think.In every interview, he seems to express Thorin as this exiled warrior ala Aragorn.It is even said he toned down his cantankerous ways, altogether eliminating Thorins characteristics.

He has mentioned that he is looking for his elephant man role just to prove that he can act and that it isn't all about his good looks.

And so, if it had been decided to make him look ugly and unattractive, I have no doubt that he would have gone along with it. I've heard people say that he is a character actor trapped in a leading man's body and this appears to be true. You are also underestimating him with your assumptions of vanity because of his good looks.

I agree absolutely when dave If says: " Haughtiness is always there, but I've also gotten frustration, shame, fear of failure and inadequacy, and burning anger that is never far from the surface. This guy is going to deliver. "

Your version of Thorin seems very simplistic: he needs to be grumpy and have a very long beard. Sorry, I want more.

imin
Valinor

Nov 26 2012, 2:29pm

Post #56 of 69 (336 views)
Shortcut
The beards of a dwarf are a more integral feature to their look than the hair colour of the elves [In reply to] Can't Post

Clearly lots of people think differently to you as otherwise there wouldnt have been (and still are) loads of threads/sub threads about this.

Its no big deal to you, fantastic, to others they have gotten used to it, others still hate it.

To me its the same as a 6ft dwarf, a dwarf is short with a beard, needs both.

Foromir
Rivendell

Nov 26 2012, 3:05pm

Post #57 of 69 (302 views)
Shortcut
I too like the theory of Thorin cutting his beard because of shame. That could also explain the much maligned look of Kili! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili is described as strongly admiring his uncle and eager to make an impression on him, so it's not unlikely that he followed his example, maybe even more radically, being young and fanatic.

In Reply To

Seems likely now we know he has a longer beard to begin with (which i like), which he then cuts in shame/grief and then goes on to grow a longer one, i think that sounds good.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Nov 26 2012, 3:25pm

Post #58 of 69 (280 views)
Shortcut
I've been thinking that might be the case with Kili also // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

DarkJackal
Rohan

Nov 26 2012, 3:36pm

Post #59 of 69 (291 views)
Shortcut
Give it a chance [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't believe you, or I, will have to suffer a cheery Thorin through most of this film.

Pertinent quotes from the French translation below:

"The vital importance of his mission and the tension it creates in him has repercussions upon his relationship with the other characters. When Gandalf asks him to let Bilbo join the team he’s gathered, Thorin’s furious because he thinks the Hobbit will be the weakest link of the group and will put everyone at risk. If Bilbo is a source of anxiety, irritation and animosity at the beginning of the journey, the rapport between Thorin and him will evolve in a positive way over the three films until they get to trust and respect each other."

"There is indeed this similarity between both characters, but Thorin is a lot tougher than Aragorn. He’s cantankerous and often cross… I found this characteristic interesting and, at the beginning, it was a bit hard for me to determine where it sprang from. I’d say this surly and aggressive side is something all the warrior dwarves share, but Thorin, on top of that, can’t stand the thought that he’s been stripped of his kingdom in such a violent way. In addition, he’s suffered the loss of his rank in the dwarf society, going from the privileged status of a royal family member to that of a wandering warrior. He’s ashamed of such a decline… He believes that if he confides in anyone, he’ll be robbed. That’s why he refuses to reveal to anyone the details of his quest and never shows them the itinerary he’s drawn on his map. At first, Thorin also displays a rather nasty behaviour."

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2012, 5:03pm

Post #60 of 69 (242 views)
Shortcut
Ah, okay, was thrown by RA going [In reply to] Can't Post

immediately from the subject of his late brother to that of Kili/Fili's father. I re-read and saw that this makes more sense now:

Thorin became Thorin Oakenshield after fighting bravely by his late brother’s side. After their father's death, Thorin's nephews Kili and Fili have grown very attached to him and,
therefore, Thorin has become their paternal role model.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2012, 5:20pm

Post #61 of 69 (233 views)
Shortcut
Of course there is a variety of opinion. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm still struggling with the comparison. If a dwarf is six foot I would be happy to say it is not a dwarf. If a dwarf has his beard cut, it seems you are saying he is equally not a dwarf. If not then what is he?
One seems immutable, the other a matter of choice and circumstance.

It is personal preference but it no more worries me than a lack of tassels.

LR

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2012, 5:29pm

Post #62 of 69 (228 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

it is not fundamental to the enjoyment of the films nor does it dewarven Thorin.

Thorin has always look great to me.

elevorn
Lorien

Nov 26 2012, 6:50pm

Post #63 of 69 (198 views)
Shortcut
as long... [In reply to] Can't Post

as they don't look like dottering old men like a certain cartoon made them out to be I am fine with it.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2012, 8:50pm

Post #64 of 69 (218 views)
Shortcut
Richar Armitage you are awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

If I had to choose one member of the crew and cast of The Hobbit that provides me enthusiasm about the production I would say with any doubt RA, even more than PJ, you can feel he is in love with th character, and his wilingess to fullfill his personal quest as an actor in this journey, and for that: Thank You Richard Armitage!!!Wink

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 26 2012, 9:33pm

Post #65 of 69 (173 views)
Shortcut
What a nice thing to say, Isaac! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure that once everyone has seen the film there will be a lot of people agreeing with you.

imin
Valinor

Nov 27 2012, 12:54am

Post #66 of 69 (127 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's dwarves had beards [In reply to] Can't Post

They all had beards, even the women. so they are as much a part of a dwarf in middle earth as their shorter stature, i dont see whats hard to get about that.

Its not in our world where a dwarf may have a beard or not (if they are a guy or hairy woman, lol) its middle earth where they have them from birth or pretty much.

totoro
Lorien

Nov 27 2012, 6:06am

Post #67 of 69 (109 views)
Shortcut
I initially expected long beards [In reply to] Can't Post

I was looking for a reason to accept the short beards.

For Thorin, Fili, and Kili, being in mourning is a fine excuse. I don't care if the real reason is they wanted to show some pretty faces.

Some of the other dwarves seem to have unnecessarily short beards, though.

In Reply To
They all had beards, even the women. so they are as much a part of a dwarf in middle earth as their shorter stature, i dont see whats hard to get about that.

Its not in our world where a dwarf may have a beard or not (if they are a guy or hairy woman, lol) its middle earth where they have them from birth or pretty much.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 27 2012, 10:45am

Post #68 of 69 (95 views)
Shortcut
But they all do have beards. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aren't you talking about beard length?

LR

imin
Valinor

Nov 27 2012, 12:17pm

Post #69 of 69 (98 views)
Shortcut
I wouldnt call it a beard, more just some stubble [In reply to] Can't Post

lol.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.