Could PJ kill off Radagast?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2012, 11:05pm

Post #26 of 33 (406 views)
Shortcut
Exactly... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why not simply have Rady go AWOL? ...it's what Tolkien suggests happens in the end, pretty much, anyway. Perhaps he gets PTSD after the assault on Dol Guldur...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Nov 24 2012, 11:33pm

Post #27 of 33 (413 views)
Shortcut
Radagast will die... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know when and where, but I am sure of it!

I guess it will happen sometime during the Dol Guldur sequence Frown

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Bladerunner
Gondor

Nov 24 2012, 11:42pm

Post #28 of 33 (444 views)
Shortcut
I've always, and still, dislike this line of thinking.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer that Radagast just decided to completely "check out" of interacting with humans (men, elves, dwarves, etc.) after the Battle of Five Armies, than to have him killed in any number of ways.
(I also dislike on many levels, the theory that he is reincarnated as a moth).

One other notion that I've been contemplating is that as a final gesture in his dealings with human-kind, Radagast decides to help in the rebuilding of, and perhaps even temporarily relocates to, Dale.
This idea is based on the video of Silvester McCoy walking around the Dale set during part of Video Log 8.
Perhaps after helping with rebuilding Dale he decides to depart to the east of Middle Earth in search of the Blue Istari, Alatar and Pallando, or to just reconnect with the flora and fauna of that region.
That would explain his absence during the events of the Lord of the Rings.

Perhaps he can be shown giving Gandalf the dragon fireworks in Dale before Gandalf departs to the Shire for Bilbo's birthday, and Radagast departs to the east.

I'd much prefer these scenarios than having him killed by Saruman or the Necromancer.

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Nov 24 2012, 11:49pm)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 25 2012, 1:48am

Post #29 of 33 (413 views)
Shortcut
Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

Is The Doctor, so he would only regenerate anyway. Wink

wow there are some bloodthirsty dudes here. Crazy

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2012, 1:29pm

Post #30 of 33 (310 views)
Shortcut
I was almost sure about it previously [In reply to] Can't Post

but the word game that someone had heard/read somewhere a confirmation that Radagast will turn into the moth. This opens PJ a door to explain Radagast absence in LotR by including him via the moth.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 25 2012, 1:34pm

Post #31 of 33 (340 views)
Shortcut
On the Saruman FOTR point, I don't see that as any great issue. [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly, I would always advocate watching prequels after the original but, putting that to one side, Saruman is presented as evil almost immediately upon meeting him in FOTR and this is fully confirmed in under a minute.
There is no extended plot strand where we believe him to be good only to have our thoughts reversed by a dramatic reveal. It is important that Gandalf doesn't suspect (or overly suspect) Saruman prior to this meeting but far less so for the audience.

LR

totoro
Lorien

Nov 25 2012, 10:26pm

Post #32 of 33 (298 views)
Shortcut
Even in FotR [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf looks suspicious of Saruman from the outset. When he says to Bilbo that Saruman will know what to do, he looks very nervous. I think Saruman could do something in one of the Hobbit movies that makes Gandalf suspicious, but unwilling to make the logical leap to Saruman having fallen.

In any case, I think it has been confirmed that Saruman is the unfallen variety. I cannot see him harming Radagast given he is unfallen.

Just as a thought experiment, though: If he did backstab Radagast, I think it would work best if Raddy were trying to help the dwarves before they are treed, which would mean Radagast is out of the second movie and the audience knows Saruman is bad. It would be interesting in that the Eagles come to save Gandalf when Saruman has somehow maneuvered him into ambush, then Eagles save him later when Saruman imprisons him.

In Reply To
Firstly, I would always advocate watching prequels after the original but, putting that to one side, Saruman is presented as evil almost immediately upon meeting him in FOTR and this is fully confirmed in under a minute.
There is no extended plot strand where we believe him to be good only to have our thoughts reversed by a dramatic reveal. It is important that Gandalf doesn't suspect (or overly suspect) Saruman prior to this meeting but far less so for the audience.
LR

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 25 2012, 10:38pm

Post #33 of 33 (327 views)
Shortcut
Not sure he is all that unfallen [In reply to] Can't Post

"The venerable and mighty Saruman belongs with four other wizards to the Guardians of Middle Earth that care for order and balance in the world. Especially Saruman arranges the fate of the free nations at his own discretion. As head of the White Council, he fears with growing unease that Gandalf the Grey and Thorin Oakenshield’s companions could mess up his careful calculations. Saruman is indeed very old and wise but gives in to his subliminal weakness and is greedy for power – a greed that ultimately produces the most deadly of all unions."

So sayeth his character description

LR

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.