Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
It's interesting read, but...

Lightice
Lorien

Nov 24 2012, 10:53am

Views: 138
Shortcut
It's interesting read, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really have to disagree with most points it makes.

Adding in extra challenges aside from the trolls, and now possibly wargs in the journey before the Misty Mountains would just be pointless padding. Even the book has the Company make some elementary mistakes. Having them bumble into the Old Forest or the Barrow-Downs with no reason would just make them seem literally too dumb to live. If we get to see any place elaborated beyond the book in that stretch, it's probably the evil-looking ruins mentioned in the passing that Aragorn explains to be work of the men of Angmar in the FotR. Though the Hill of Sorcery-soundtrack hints more at a flashback to Dol Guldur. If the Nazgūl are added to the storyline, they most likely act as lieutnants of that place. Seeing them on the move would create an enormous plothole concerning Bilbo's frequent use of the Ring.

Making Azog undead would add little to the character. I wouldn't be surprised if his role was limited purely to flashbacks to explain Thorin's backstory. He certainly wouldn't be happy with serving someone like the Goblin King, so having him in a hunting party would make little sense. Bolg is still the most likely candidate for leading the attack to the Mountain, in spite of his extra role in Dol Guldur. I also get the feeling that the article is far too derivative from LotR; it simply makes no sense for goblins to pursue the Company all the way through the perilous Mirkwood. It's wiser to leave them to the background for the second film, to make their sudden reappearance in the third film seem like a shock. Not to mention that making the second film completely free of goblins would be an unexpected change of pace for the general audience.

And I agree with the article that the Necromancer will probably be upgraded to the primary villain in the background, who has his claws in most of the events of the story, including the mobilization of the Goblins, but taking this into account, it would make absolutely no sense to do away with him in the second movie. Also, the Council is a group of secondary characters as interesting they are, and giving a movie a climax without its true protagonists would be an example of poor storytelling. All and all, I find it far more likely that the events of Dol Guldur will be moved ahead in time to the third movie, to most likely take place simultaneously with the Battle of Five Armies, making the two climactic events parallel each other in intercuts, like the Battle of Helm's Deep and the Ents attacking Isengard in TT. This would set the Necromancer as the true evil behind the scenes and have his defeat in Dol Guldur somehow result in the defeat of the goblin army at the Loney Mountain.

Now you may ask, how can Gandalf be in two places at the same time? This is actually a very important reason why I think this narrative makes sense. It has to be a surprise for both Bilbo and the audience that Gandalf will make his appearance at the Lonely Mountain. We can't have him defeating the Necromancer and going: "Now off to save the hobbit". This would eliminate the dramatic tension of his subsequent appearance. There must be real uncertainty as to whether he will show up or not. I believe that Gandalf will be preparing for the attack on Dol Guldur with the White Council when he learns that Smaug is dead, but armies are amassing at the Mountain, and that the Necromancer has made sure that whoever wins will still end up dead. Gandalf must be torn between his duty to the Council and his friendship with Bilbo, ultimately choosing the latter -- for the better, as it'll finally turn out. I also suspect that we don't see a mass battle between great armies in Dol Guldur, but more like an elite facedown against a creature gallery that would certainly appeal to PJ's sensibilities -- wights, werewolves, Nazgūl, oh my. Sauron's abode should contain things more interesting than mere orcs, after all.

(This post was edited by Lightice on Nov 24 2012, 10:54am)

Subject User Time
ThomasMonteah's essay on Main page..Astute Amazing Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Nov 24 2012, 1:03am
    It's called "connecting the Dots..." Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Nov 24 2012, 1:04am
        Direct link Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Nov 24 2012, 1:09am
    If dear Bomby so praises it Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Nov 24 2012, 1:06am
        Long means something slightly substantial to read... Tim Send a private message to Tim Nov 24 2012, 2:04am
    Yep just read it. Joe20 Send a private message to Joe20 Nov 24 2012, 1:07am
    A very informed analysis Aitieuriskon Send a private message to Aitieuriskon Nov 24 2012, 1:34am
    Although something nags me Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Nov 24 2012, 1:47am
        I originally thought he did Aitieuriskon Send a private message to Aitieuriskon Nov 24 2012, 2:17am
    Interesting thoughts... Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Nov 24 2012, 1:48am
        Silverlode even better Film needs to condence Action.. Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Nov 24 2012, 2:08am
        I agree with you on this for the most part Aitieuriskon Send a private message to Aitieuriskon Nov 24 2012, 2:25am
            It could be.... Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Nov 24 2012, 2:39am
                The suspense for this film is killing me! Avnar Send a private message to Avnar Nov 24 2012, 2:54am
    A Fascinating, Insightful Read The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Nov 24 2012, 4:56am
    Great read but I'm not sure about these theories Fredeghar Wayfarer Send a private message to Fredeghar Wayfarer Nov 24 2012, 7:03am
    It's interesting read, but... Lightice Send a private message to Lightice Nov 24 2012, 10:53am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.