Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Smaug in movie
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Lightice
Lorien

Nov 24 2012, 11:37am

Post #76 of 79 (77 views)
Shortcut
To me it rings more like "destruction caused by Smaug" -- in Dale and Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm familiar with what "The Desolation of Smaug" refers to, but the general public will probably think it refers to his death. Even a very intelligent person I know with a large vocabulary who read the Hobbit years ago thought that it meant his death at first. I love the name myself and never thought of it as anything other than the geographical area, but I fear it will cause lots of confusion.

It's the name of the location ofcourse, but it would be disastrous marketing not to show the title character of the movie, and once Smaug has been shown, there is no other satisfactory conclusion in the plot other than his demise. A TV-series style cliffhanger just won't cut it in an epic film that people paid a lot of money to see. I very much doubt that Smaug will survive to the third film unless PJ pulls an extra climax out of his ass, and I've made a point elsewhere why the battle of Dol Guldur is an unlikely canidate.

totoro
Lorien

Nov 24 2012, 4:14pm

Post #77 of 79 (68 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

There is an issue of book space, though. There are 19 chapters in TH. Chapter 19 is the journey home, in which nothing exciting happens. I know PJ likes the long goodbye, but I don't think this chapter will get a great deal of screen time. Chapter 18 goes a little long after the bo5a, but you need Thorin's death scene; so it probably all gets in there.

We know how far the first movie goes (to the end of Chapter 6). We assume--reasonably, I think--that Smaug is going to either barely make it into film 3 or die at the end of film 2. Smaug dies in Chapter 13.

After Chapter 13, the fellowship of the mountain hangs out in or around the mountain. No more travel. I have a hard time imagining where all the meat for film 3 comes from if it sticks to the book (Chapters 14-18). So, I predict that if Smaug dies in film 2, Gandalf's subplot needs to have a lot of screen time in the last film. Or perhaps the Elves, Men, or Iron Hill Dwarves have to fight a first wave of goblins, but that perhaps seem like too much of the same, considering the ultimate battle is going to likely consume a great deal of film real estate.

In Reply To
It's the name of the location of course, but it would be disastrous marketing not to show the title character of the movie, and once Smaug has been shown, there is no other satisfactory conclusion in the plot other than his demise. A TV-series style cliffhanger just won't cut it in an epic film that people paid a lot of money to see. I very much doubt that Smaug will survive to the third film unless PJ pulls an extra climax out of his ass, and I've made a point elsewhere why the battle of Dol Guldur is an unlikely candidate.

dreamflower
Lorien

Nov 26 2012, 2:51pm

Post #78 of 79 (41 views)
Shortcut
It was ALMOST more dramatic in the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

And it would have been worse.

According to The History of The Hobbit, JRRT wrote two or three pages of material in which poor little Bilbo screws up his courage and kills Smaug under the Mountain. Smaug's death throes are described in great detail, and a blood-covered Bilbo floats off in a golden cup on a river of dragon-blood! Cringeworthy, gorey, and certainly would have been dramatic on-screen, even if it would up the rating. PJ would have had to tone it down!

It was also entirely all wrong, as Tolkien realized right after he wrote it. He crossed it ALL out, and wrote a little note off to the side: "S. dies in battle at Laketown".

Because there is nothing anticlimatic about Smaug's demise as it ended up in the story; it is perfect. As in LotR, the villain is brought down by a combination of circumstances, and the catalyst for it all is a "small thing" and it is brought about by a "small person".

(Though the original scenario does make for the possibilities of a cool, if rather dark, AU.)

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 26 2012, 5:18pm

Post #79 of 79 (47 views)
Shortcut
Ack! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, obviously Luthien is half-Maiar. I don't know what I was thinking... I actually really like the story of Melian and Thingol. Of course, now I have "Melian The Maia" to the tune of Frosty the Snowman in my head...

I still say that singing Morgoth to sleep is too much even for a half-Maiar. Would we be ok with Gandalf coming along and doing the same to Sauron in Lord of the Rings? I have no problem with Luthien being very powerful, but she just seems a bit much.

As far as elves go, I prefer Galadriel, oddly enough. A strong, powerful, and complex character. I am really hoping they show her throwing down the walls of Dol Guldur in the Hobbit trilogy. I'd actually love a Silmarillion trilogy told from Galadriel's perspective. The movie could be framed around her telling the stories of the Silmarillion and her own part in them to someone around the time of Lord of the Rings. Never gonnna happen, but I think Cate Blanchett would be great in it. The dark tragedies of the Silmarillion in general would make a good contrast to LotR and The Hobbit.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.