Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

T_Meyers
Bree

Nov 27 2012, 3:55pm

Post #101 of 107 (41 views)
Shortcut
There was... [In reply to] Can't Post

...an intriguing article posted up by NASA that stated that sun was getting hotter which, in turn, was making the planet hotter and caused fluctuations in our climate. It also showed that the polar ice caps on Mars were melting. I would link to the article but I don't want to get on Altaire's bad side. ;-)

It was written in 2003.

"Welcome to Novogard Where lands have been shattered from racial division. Where a powerful government has begun its encroachment onto unwilling societies. Where the magical and the technological collide."

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 9:00pm

Post #102 of 107 (40 views)
Shortcut
I think that was "disproven" a while back [In reply to] Can't Post

The Sun's change in energy (which was minute) can't account for any significant climate change.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

T_Meyers
Bree

Nov 27 2012, 11:11pm

Post #103 of 107 (56 views)
Shortcut
Please send the link... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that "disproves" NASA's findings to me. I would like to read that.

But regardless, weather fluctuates over time from hot to cold and so on. There will never be perfect 70 degree weather like some in the climate alarmist community would wish to see. During the 6th century, for instance, there was what has been called a "miniature ice age". That was a significant climate change. Then the earth became hotter, then colder, etc. We reached a peak in heat in the middle of the last decade and now it's on its way down again.

Perhaps that's why climate alarmists are trying to slowly change their terminology from "global warming" to "climate change."

And don't conclude that I'm not concerned about our environment. I am, but just in a different way. I'm more concerned about genetically modified foods that causes harm to different species genetic makeup, smaug...er...smog that harms the respiratory system, spider-goats and salmon being released into the wild, etc.

"Welcome to Novogard Where lands have been shattered from racial division. Where a powerful government has begun its encroachment onto unwilling societies. Where the magical and the technological collide."

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 11:20pm

Post #104 of 107 (47 views)
Shortcut
Disproven was the wrong word. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it's a generally accepted explanation, since it can't physically explain current observed warming.

As for the term "global warming", it has always been wrong, and has always been incorrectly used by lay people and the media.

Global warming refers to human induced warming of average global surface air temperatures, through increased greenhouse gases.

This is incorrect for a number of reasons. The world is changing through natural and human induced processes. The earth isn't just warming, and it's not just temperatures changing.

Climate change refers to a change in the global climate system, induced by natural and human processes.

Climate change is simply a more accurate definition of what is being observed.

Smile

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 27 2012, 11:51pm

Post #105 of 107 (38 views)
Shortcut
NASA says that scientists use both "global warming" and "climate change". [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this on NASA's website, which is in partial agreement with your differentiation of the terms:

Within scientific journals [..] [g]lobal warming refers to surface temperature increases, while climate change includes global warming and everything else that increasing greenhouse gas amounts will affect.

Source

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

T_Meyers
Bree

Nov 27 2012, 11:53pm

Post #106 of 107 (36 views)
Shortcut
Thank you... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for that clarification. That's the most sensible explanation I've ever heard, even coming from so called "scientists."

I look forward to the day when we can run our cars on water, but I fear what governments will do in return when that day comes.

They're already talking about a climate tax but how on earth is that suppose to help the earth when it's going to be pocketed by unelected bureaucrats? The Eye of the Enemy is moving....

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 11:58pm

Post #107 of 107 (71 views)
Shortcut
The phrase global warming is frowned on upon in the UK (in science). [In reply to] Can't Post

I learnt that the hard way during my degrees! Wink You don't see the phrase anymore in popular peer-reviewed academic journals.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.