Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Nice little spoiler in this Sir Ian McKellen interview
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 10:19pm

Post #26 of 30 (80 views)
Shortcut
But was it important for Aragorn to see it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know PJ & co wanted Aragorn to have seen Saruman's army first hand, but I question the essentiality of that. Aragorn has already fought the enemy for decades, he if anyone knows precisely and in full detail how desperate their struggle is.

If they wished the audience to see how staggeringly outnumbered our heroes were.... well, Aragorn didn't need to be there with us, because we had already seen Saruman's power... in his own scenes. A few shots of the Uruk-hai army was all that was needed to get the point home.

War movies don't have the outnumbered heroes seeing their enemies before the moment of combat either, because it's not really needed. What is needed is the pre-battle character establishing and developing scenes.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Nov 23 2012, 10:20pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 10:37pm

Post #27 of 30 (69 views)
Shortcut
And that's probably one of it's criticisms [In reply to] Can't Post

from many who dislike the movies.

I don't personally have a problem with the approach (in essence), but it is frustrating when such beautiful scenes are discarded because they don't fit the mold.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 10:42pm

Post #28 of 30 (65 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it was important [In reply to] Can't Post

But I suppose it was to Peter, Fran, and Philippa.

I would have loved to have skipped the whole warg attack and instead focused on the characters more. Thankfully, many character scenes made their way into the EEs, but I'd have loved to seen more development. Especially between Aragorn and Arwen. They share about 5 minutes of screen time together in FOTR and TTT and less than that in ROTK! For Pete's sake, they almost had her at Helm's Deep, but the finished films have very little of them together.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 23 2012, 11:06pm

Post #29 of 30 (59 views)
Shortcut
Oh quite so. [In reply to] Can't Post

And one doesn't have to agree with the approach.

Although it does usually make me chuckle a little to think back to those years before the trilogy when LOTR was frequently said to be "unfilmable"....

LR

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 11:36pm

Post #30 of 30 (125 views)
Shortcut
Unfilmable indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all in the approach, of course. I, for one, am very satisfied overall with the final films. I think, given the complexity of the story, there will always be some issue in adapting it.

Due to its overwhelming success, though, I do expect another go at it years from now. It will certainly be interesting to see another perspective in the adaptation.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.