Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"...this Gandalf wasn't quite the same character as before." Sir Ian
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 10:43pm

Post #51 of 66 (225 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's good and bad. But at least we'll know more than we did, the Galadriel conundrum being one of them.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 22 2012, 10:54pm

Post #52 of 66 (222 views)
Shortcut
Nenya is probably a time machine disguised as a Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien must've missed that important point out. Their ring making skills really were impressive.

Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 10:57pm

Post #53 of 66 (219 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes of course [In reply to] Can't Post

How silly of him to forget to mention that!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 23 2012, 1:13am

Post #54 of 66 (199 views)
Shortcut
I just hope [In reply to] Can't Post

she doesnt Apparate like Harry. They had to twirl on the spot as well if memory serves me right. Crazy

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 1:20am

Post #55 of 66 (198 views)
Shortcut
I don't know what you're referencing. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's Harry Potter, I've never seen it Angelic

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 23 2012, 1:45am

Post #56 of 66 (212 views)
Shortcut
Have you read any Harry Potter? [In reply to] Can't Post

just curious. Smile If you havent do you not like it?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 1:53am

Post #57 of 66 (192 views)
Shortcut
I've not read any [In reply to] Can't Post

Nor have I seen the films.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 23 2012, 2:51am

Post #58 of 66 (172 views)
Shortcut
I don't like that either. At all. For a number of reasons. I like the scene, but not this [In reply to] Can't Post

nonsense of her "teleporting". Even if it is just a psychic projection, I feel too few people will get that, and it will raise more questions than it is worth.

In Reply To

Seems weird an elf can do that though. Surely she could just teleport to Mount Doom??

There's no logic in it at all. I'd have much rather had some sort of (coincidental) Elvish feast in Rivendell at Midsummer's Eve or something. At least then there's a reason for Galadriel to have travelled to Rivendell.

I don't understand what you mean by being able to travel but also appearing/disappearing. The Elves are supposed to be corporeal beings, not mystical angel thingys. Me no likey.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 23 2012, 2:56am

Post #59 of 66 (185 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. Drinking, eating, and Laughing more than anyone else [In reply to] Can't Post

and then displaying those marvelous, enchanted smoke-rings!

In Reply To
I remember commenting a long time ago when it had been a while since I read The Hobbit that I forgot how funny Gandalf is in that book; he's a real curmudgeon!

To me it makes perfect sense that he's more light-hearted in The Hobbit because Sauron hasn't yet moved his digs to Mordor and isn't yet preparing for the War of the Ring. Gandalf gets more serious as The Hobbit moves along, then he does the same in The Fellowship of the Rings until in the latter part of the story, he's very serious indeed. I, for one, look forward to seeing the funnier, more lighthearted Gandalf, at least at first, because that's how Tolkien wrote the character.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

whitetree
The Shire

Nov 23 2012, 4:04am

Post #60 of 66 (186 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

that she just meant Cate turned around for her "entrance" in such a way that the train on her gown draped perfectly.

Also, since the costume matches the color of the statues on the set, while Cate had her back turned, and she was standing still, she resembled a statue. Then she turned around (perfectly) and it became obvious that she was NOT a statue.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 8:49am

Post #61 of 66 (132 views)
Shortcut
I like you even more now! ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 23 2012, 10:06am

Post #62 of 66 (125 views)
Shortcut
That what I said... [In reply to] Can't Post

only you put it better! Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 5:13pm

Post #63 of 66 (104 views)
Shortcut
Too many questions are raised [In reply to] Can't Post

by her being able to mysteriously teleport.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 5:13pm

Post #64 of 66 (101 views)
Shortcut
Lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have something against Harry Potter I take it!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 5:52pm

Post #65 of 66 (96 views)
Shortcut
Awful books [In reply to] Can't Post

And even worse films! But that's another story Wink

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 6:13pm

Post #66 of 66 (256 views)
Shortcut
I'll take your word for it!// [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.