Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Stuff.co.nz confirms a very SPOILER dwarf!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 20 2012, 10:30pm

Post #26 of 38 (210 views)
Shortcut
This is the best closeup of the drawing... [In reply to] Can't Post

from DarkJackal's screencaps of Trailer 1

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/16gloin.jpg

Some funny coils of hair at the temples...that's what made me think the picture could be feminine!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

imin
Valinor

Nov 20 2012, 10:45pm

Post #27 of 38 (191 views)
Shortcut
this is so so true [In reply to] Can't Post

until i started my job i didn't realize just how many women have side burns, mustaches, some even have beards. granted it may not be the thick hair of a man but some have some serious stubble going on, lol.

Its so regular that i dont even bat an eyelid anymore, also their are some medical conditions which cause excessive hair growth in women which can be acutely embarrassing for them unfortunately.

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Nov 21 2012, 12:00am

Post #28 of 38 (175 views)
Shortcut
more likely [In reply to] Can't Post

She'll be there because Orli will be there.

TheOneRing.net Senior Staff
IRC Admin and Hall of Fire moderator

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 21 2012, 12:18am

Post #29 of 38 (170 views)
Shortcut
I agree about the hair phobia [In reply to] Can't Post

until the middle of the 20th century Italian movie stars like Sophia Loren had hairy armpits. But a full bushy beard on a womans face is beyond anyones experience, and could end up looking stoopid. Laugh

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Nov 21 2012, 12:19am)

Nienna
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 1:43am

Post #30 of 38 (155 views)
Shortcut
My friend was an extra [In reply to] Can't Post

A friend of mine was an extra (female dwarf) and while she had a beard, it was nothing like the male dwarves' beards and she felt she looked absolutely gorgeous.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 1:47am

Post #31 of 38 (154 views)
Shortcut
You should have told this ages ago! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nienna
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 1:52am

Post #32 of 38 (134 views)
Shortcut
I did! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 2:01am

Post #33 of 38 (130 views)
Shortcut
Oh, must have missed it [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 8:07am

Post #34 of 38 (92 views)
Shortcut
Do you think the picture(s) belong to Bilbo then? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 8:08am

Post #35 of 38 (90 views)
Shortcut
Wispy, or a full on beard? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or are your hands tied? I can't remember you ever saying this either. Blush

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 8:10am

Post #36 of 38 (103 views)
Shortcut
Something to do with too much testosterone, or something, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a shame it can make women feel so insecure by a bit of hair. Flaming modern society ...

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 21 2012, 9:09am

Post #37 of 38 (71 views)
Shortcut
I remember the speculation at the time [In reply to] Can't Post

being that it might be Bilbo's parents or suchlike, because one doesn't look at the picture and automatically associate it with a Dwarf! But since then we've heard and read the quote you mentioned about Gloin carrying portraits of his wife and son so it must be them. Question is, is the visible picture Gimli or his mother? Wink

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

imin
Valinor

Nov 21 2012, 11:32am

Post #38 of 38 (90 views)
Shortcut
Yeah basically [In reply to] Can't Post

It is obviously an aesthetic and psychological condition but it can also be a sign of some fairly serious medical conditions - ones i know are insulin resistance (obese women are more likely to be hairy) and women with PCOS which is a very cruel condition all round i think.

Other things that can come along with it are greater muscle mass and a deeper voice.

Society is harsh but then society is harsh to people with loads of different conditions - anything out of the ordinary will get second glances - a lot of what we think makes someone attractive is how biologically healthy we perceive them to be so loads of facial hair on a woman would be considered subconsciously to be bad genetics and then we are told women should have no facial hair (other than eyebrows).

Good news is there is lots of treatment for such a thing and not many have the hair where its thick, most its just a fine covering of hair which is totally normal. There is a lot of pressure on women (and increasingly men) to look good, so i do feel for them.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.