Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Apparently I double posted ...

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 20 2012, 4:23pm

Post #1 of 11 (172 views)
Shortcut
Apparently I double posted ... Can't Post

Here.

I thought you couldn't double post on the forum? When I've accidentally pressed "post message" twice in the past, it does say you tried to post twice but only one message will be posted etc.

I wonder what happened here?

Feel free to delete one.Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 20 2012, 4:29pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20 2012, 5:03pm

Post #2 of 11 (97 views)
Shortcut
I deleted the one that had no replies // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 20 2012, 6:40pm

Post #3 of 11 (69 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Earl. Any reason why two were posted? :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2012, 6:12am

Post #4 of 11 (64 views)
Shortcut
Nope, no idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps Altaira or Silverlode might have an inkling.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2012, 6:46am

Post #5 of 11 (79 views)
Shortcut
Alternate universes were colliding at just that nanosecond. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or, you know, server hiccup. *shrug* Tongue

At least we don't seem to get crossed posts anymore - used to be (on the old boards) that when two people clicked submit at exactly the same second, the subject lines would look fine but when you clicked on them, it took you to the other one instead. That was a bit confusing.

Silverlode

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 7:53am

Post #6 of 11 (85 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Silverlode [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet that was a real nightmare during times of increased traffic.

I've given the server some water, to cure it's hiccups. Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2012, 10:59am

Post #7 of 11 (52 views)
Shortcut
It had its amusing moments. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember once in some long thread, I posted something about chicken livers and mushrooms in a sub-thread about recipes using mushrooms, and it ended up further up the thread under something totally unrelated, and freaked out a few people! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2012, 11:28am

Post #8 of 11 (83 views)
Shortcut
I seem to remember it was a mess trying to delete them, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

The board couldn't recognize them. I think we often just let them alone and had people repost what they meant to say where they meant to say it. And laughed at all the "Wait...what???" responses the wonky ones got.

You "newbies" have no idea how easy you've got it these days. The old boards were just a great big bundle of weird quirks...and I think some of us loved them all the more for that. Dumped stats, crossed posts, "phantom" Admins, whole-board crashes due to people trying to change the name on their accounts.....Laugh

Silverlode

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Nov 21 2012, 11:32am)

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 1:00pm

Post #9 of 11 (42 views)
Shortcut
at imdb [In reply to] Can't Post

there's apparently a 'bug' that - if someone makes a post and leaves their screen on that post... then comes back and hits refresh to see if they have any replies... the refresh action resposts a new post.

On the I Need to Know board - where people are asking for help to identify an old movie they remember - these are always new threads (not replies to existing threads) so a new thread will often get reposted 3 or 4 times without the poster realizing it is happening. Because, they aren't going to the board so they can see all those posts. They're just refreshing their page - which always gives them a new post to look at and of course, there aren't any replies on their new post.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2012, 2:52pm

Post #10 of 11 (89 views)
Shortcut
Phantom Admins? [In reply to] Can't Post

That must have really freaked you out!

Oh yeah, those dumped stats...I'd build up my status in the RR, only to find it was all for naught after a few days! Laugh

Yep, we love these new Boards, but we loved those Old ones also, sort of like loving your first car...Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2012, 10:05pm

Post #11 of 11 (95 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

we had a couple of users suddenly sprout Admin titles...without the password. Fortunately, it only happened to regulars who wouldn't have abused it, but the thought of what would happen if random people suddenly became Admins and could do whatever they liked did strike fear into the heart until we determined that they did not really have Admin access. We did request TPTB to change the password more frequently after that, though. Shocked

Silverlode

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.