Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
trilogy to make bigger deal of the arkenstone than the book?

TheCoon
Lorien

Nov 20 2012, 12:31am

Post #1 of 21 (1181 views)
Shortcut
trilogy to make bigger deal of the arkenstone than the book? Can't Post

i was thinking of this bit form "song of the lonely mountain"

a fate unknown
the arkenstone
what was stolen
must be returned

in the book we know nothing of the arkenstone til after smaug is killed which presumably wont be happening until the climax of film 2

does this mean there will be more empahisis on it in the trilogy or at least an added hint in AUJ since its in the AUJ song?

grinman
Rivendell

Nov 20 2012, 12:40am

Post #2 of 21 (620 views)
Shortcut
short answer: yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Long answer: Yessssss.

Much like Bard the Bowman, the introduction of the Arkenstone at that point in the story works just fine for a book. On film, it might pose some issues. I think that we will see something of the Arkenstone in either AUJ or DOS to show that it is a symbol or heirloom of The King Under the Mountain. The importance of the Arkenstone will be established long before the place it's introduced in the book.

This will make Bilbo's "theft" of it mean that much more to the audience. Now, whether Bilbo will know of its importance to Thorin or not, is yet to be seen. I imagine that in order for him to remain a good guy, he may take it but not know the full ramifications of it... we'll see.

Seaber
Rivendell

Nov 20 2012, 12:41am

Post #3 of 21 (588 views)
Shortcut
I expect lots of things will have roles earlier on in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether it be in AUJ or not, the Arkenstone, Dale, Esgaroth and Bard will all need to be introduced earlier to make their role more important to the plot. As much as I love the book, the last few chapters intoduced so many new elements that could have been alluded to earlier.

Another thing is the talking ravens. These should be alluded to earlier, rather than in the books where it is mentioned not long before the raven talks.

Chopsta123
Gondor

Nov 20 2012, 1:52am

Post #4 of 21 (521 views)
Shortcut
I recommend a spoiler warning... [In reply to] Can't Post

because some might not want to find out about the lyrics riight now.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Nov 20 2012, 2:31am

Post #5 of 21 (551 views)
Shortcut
The Arkenstone *spoilers* and speculation [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the things that stood out most in the Collider interview with Richard Armitage was the mention that Bilbo is hired specifically to get the Arkenstone:

"But in terms of this story, it does unfold as we go along that we need a hobbit to go in to try and find the Arkenstone."

He also mentions the significance of the stone to Thorin:

"The Arkenstone is certainly something which he covets and craves. And he knows that without that gem, he can never truly be king. So that takes on a real significance, like a talisman that he obsesses over in a similar way to the Ring. But he doesn’t really carry that through the story with him, it’s just something that he’s going towards."

I'm unsure whether to interpret the "never truly be king" to mean in his own mind, or as an actual requirement of kingship. If it is the latter then it leads me to wonder if Thorin's plan is to get back the Stone in order to inspire and command his otherwise reluctant people to take the mountain by force. We know this version of Thorin remains skeptical of Gandalf's plan, but he must have some rational reason to go along with it. If he sees the Arkenstone as another step toward his ultimate goal of defeating Smaug with a great army (which he currently lacks), then it would be worth taking the risk to get it back.

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

squitzl
The Shire

Nov 20 2012, 2:33am

Post #6 of 21 (519 views)
Shortcut
I Hope So.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Arkenstone needs to be a very big deal. It nearly destroys the relationship between Bilbo and Thorin which has been building for three films at that point. And Makes Thorin feel ultimately betrayed.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 20 2012, 3:32am

Post #7 of 21 (452 views)
Shortcut
One way to show this Cinematically? [In reply to] Can't Post

Mention the Astone early..maybe in BagEnd
..(Whispered..Between...G&TO)

then never mention it again..though all their
Trails &Tribulations..

Until Bilbo Burgelizes it..

Then .." BingoMoment?"

Hiding this Goal
then reminding Audiences
In 2014?

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Nov 20 2012, 7:12am

Post #8 of 21 (374 views)
Shortcut
Dredging Up The Past [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess this would mean all the hand-wringing early on about the movies dropping the Arkenstone entirely was pointless and gave Peter Jackson much amusement. I don't suppose we'll hear from those people?

Tongue

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 20 2012, 7:24am

Post #9 of 21 (370 views)
Shortcut
The Scone of Stone... [In reply to] Can't Post

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 20 2012, 8:06am

Post #10 of 21 (344 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's goal all along was to find the Arkenstone [In reply to] Can't Post

I see no problem emphasising this earlier on in the story.

As long Bilbo finds it the same way as in the book. Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Jago M
Bree

Nov 20 2012, 8:47am

Post #11 of 21 (313 views)
Shortcut
An other way [In reply to] Can't Post

Already in the prologue? Instead of starting with the misfortune of the dwarfs when Smaug attacks, they could start with the dwarfs crafting Erebor and finding the very 'heart of the mountain', the Arkenstone.
Thus also giving Smaug an extra motivation to attack the place :)
They could also leave this as a prologue to TABA though.

totoro
Lorien

Nov 20 2012, 10:08am

Post #12 of 21 (280 views)
Shortcut
That's good [In reply to] Can't Post

The book was a little funny when it got to the mountain. The dwarves were like, "we're here! let's collect our 5000 tons of treasure from under the dragon now." They were so unprepared to deal with the dragon that it was comical. If their mission is to nick the arkenstone and worry about the other details later, at least they won't look quite as bone-headed.

Dlanor da Great
Rivendell

Nov 20 2012, 10:27am

Post #13 of 21 (284 views)
Shortcut
I like the idea.. [In reply to] Can't Post

...that thorins plan was to use the burgler to steal the Arkenstone so that Thorin can reclaim his kingship and inspire armies to invade the mountain and take his kingdom back.
That makes more sense then taking 13 Dwarves and a hobbit to their deaths trying to kill a powerful giant Dragon that destroys civilizations. Smaugs death is a lucky result of bilbos slip of the tongue (barrel rider) and his discovering of Smaugs weakness.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 20 2012, 10:47am

Post #14 of 21 (278 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo needs to " Not know it's Signifigance." [In reply to] Can't Post

Its beauty needs to be overwhelming...
yet this needs to be a secret ...

kept from him by the Dwarves..otherwise
He would just HAVE turned it over to Thorin right away..
Being an Honest Burgler.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 20 2012, 11:10am

Post #15 of 21 (253 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think he is affected by its beauty but..... [In reply to] Can't Post

....after slipping it into his pocket, he keeps it from Thorin even after he knows that there is a desperate search for it. He DOES know what it means to Thorin and that's why he decides to use it as a powerful bargaining chip.

And this is what makes the story so grown-up at the end: it is morally ambivalent and we get to question everyone's motives, not just Thorin's.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2012, 11:53am

Post #16 of 21 (241 views)
Shortcut
agreed ShireHorse.... it is a tough one to write for the team I must say hehe // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 20 2012, 3:00pm

Post #17 of 21 (191 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is a tough one [In reply to] Can't Post

and I hope the team is up to it. Bilbo has been portrayed as the good bloke throughout, the one who represents us. To what extent do you portray him as doing something that is, perhaps, wrong? If you show a growing friendship between him and Thorin throughout the films (as PJ is implying that he's doing) and then Bilbo apparently makes a poor decision, then one's sympathies will lie with Thorin and you will understand his rage when he finds out that he has been betrayed by someone he thought was a friend.

If you slant the writing the other way and portray Bilbo as not being moved by an initial desire for the Arkenstone but as trying to resolve a dangerous situation, then he remains the "good bloke" and Thorin is portrayed as being bad-tempered and stubborn.

I hope that the team walks a fine line between the two because Tolkien is quite specific that Bilbo, at first, takes the stone for himself because he cannot resist its lure. Just because we like him, it shouldn't stop the writers from showing that he is wrong.

In fact, I think he takes two disastrous missteps: it is Bilbo who provokes Smaug so that he rages off to destroy Laketown. And it is Bilbo's misconceived idea to take the Arkenstone and give it to Bard that ramps up the confrontation. His action resolves nothing; it just makes things worse.

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 20 2012, 5:00pm

Post #18 of 21 (163 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's use of the Arkenstone [In reply to] Can't Post

would have been effective had Dain not arrived when he did. He did nothing wrong, since Thorin told Bilbo he could choose his share of the reward, and didn't say "not including the Arkenstone". Bilbo just gave Bard his share of the loot.

My theory, and how I think it will play in the film, is Thorin deliberately doesn't tell Bilbo about the Arkenstone. Firstly, he doesn't trust Bilbo, and secondly, he doesn't want Gandalf to know he plans to use it to raise an army.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 20 2012, 8:41pm

Post #19 of 21 (104 views)
Shortcut
From ..the Book. [In reply to] Can't Post

".it took all the light and. Changed it into ten thousand sparks of light..
Suddendly Bilbo's arm went towards it drawn by its enchantment.
His small hand would not close about it, for it was a large and heavy gem;
But he lifted it, shut his eyes, and put in his pocket.

"I'm a burglar indeed" thought he. " But I suppose I must tell the dwarves about it---- sometime.
....all the same he had an uncomfortable feeling that the picking and choosing had not really been meant to include this marvelous gem, and that trouble would yet come of it."

SOOO Bomby stands by my theory
that Bilbo knows.
Nothing about the Arkenstone
because Thorin&The Company.
Kept it.. a secret from him..
..the whole Journey.
"When in doubt?
READ...your Book"

Bomby&(Goldberry too!)

ForestPark
Rivendell

Nov 21 2012, 1:59am

Post #20 of 21 (66 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but as the Gaffer said... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 8:54am

Post #21 of 21 (125 views)
Shortcut
What you know offically [In reply to] Can't Post

and what you feel intuitively are often not the same.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.