Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 21 2012, 4:57am

Post #26 of 35 (137 views)
Shortcut
Jaws and Duel [In reply to] Can't Post

These are two of my favourites, and I have seen them multiple times. The difference this time was that I watched them over two successive nights. It was interesting to compare the two, one with a truck and one with a shark at the scary centre. Great fun.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 5:44am

Post #27 of 35 (120 views)
Shortcut
you know... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'm pretty much over having Peter Coyote doing the narration on these sorts of things. It's like there's five people in the world that can do documentary narration.

My interest in the Dust Bowl is partly the personal stories and partly the science of it. I can appreciate the politics and economics sides of the story but they aren't what make me want to sit down and watch.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 5:48am

Post #28 of 35 (144 views)
Shortcut
just got back from seeing Bourne Legacy [In reply to] Can't Post

It was okay. It certainly relies on a formula and half way through the obligatory racing through crowded streets scene I got a little bored.

I enjoy Renner but I think my heart still lies with Damon. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 21 2012, 10:27am

Post #29 of 35 (113 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, my granddaughter [In reply to] Can't Post

kept asking to leave the theater. She was only 5 which I think was too young for her to see it.

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 21 2012, 10:30am

Post #30 of 35 (127 views)
Shortcut
Continuing with Castle [In reply to] Can't Post

& loving it. Just finished season 3. I'm halfway through the first disc of Sherlock season 2 & enjoying that as well. Also took my granddaughter to see Wreck It Ralph which was fun.

Sunflower
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 4:59am

Post #31 of 35 (112 views)
Shortcut
Have you read... [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan? I didn't see The Dust Bowl, but wouldn't be surprised if it incorporated parts of that book.
A great and absorbing read, and contained a lot even I didn't know.

And personally, I think Ken's best collaborator was his brother Ric. Ken's optimism and overall sunny mein (yes, I think so ) were perfectly counterbalanced by Ric's much more sober worldview and subtlety. Try watching Ken's "The West" vs Ric's "The Way West" (made 2 yrs earlier), for example. I think the former must have been a reaction to the latter. "TWW" will haunt you for life, the same way The Civil War does. IMO it is by far the better documentary (and like The Civil War, the *soundtrack* will haunt you for years afterwards too. )

Sunflower
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 5:31am

Post #32 of 35 (107 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

about Lincoln. It was a hoot seeing Sawyer (can't get Deadwood out of my mind) and Lee Pace ("Hm, I thought he sounded familiar"") but not in the role. it was a sobering reminder about the legacy of race relations in my home state. Not only was New York City host to the first genune slave rebellion in the continental US (in 1640-something, i think either '43 or '46) which was swiftly and very brutally supressed, I think a lot of the fallout of that echoed down through the generations. While the Copperhead sentiment might have been partly fuelled by immigrant-Irish sentiment (refugees from the Famine competed hotly with free blacks for some of the lowest-paying jobs) many other factors involving a broad range of white society were involved. Indeed, in NYS, anyway, racism more subtle but no less strong was evident in society all the way up to the 1930's and '40s, when, for example, the Klan was very active in rural upstate NY. Some places not too far from Albany, I'm ashamed to say (I've seen pics from the period.)

The single most unpopular thing Lincoln ever did in his own day was the Proclamation. That's no surprise. But I was amazed at how much I didn't know. The whole peace offering from the South and the timing of the Amendment and the whole drama of the peace delegation was a revelation to me, as I suspect it was for the audience with me. Indeed, Lincoln was offered no less than a Judas bargain, or a Jesus-like tempting on the Mountain. Easy for us to decide today but imagine back then. Moral certainlty might be easy but the devil is in the practical details. And, of course, it cost him his life. No-one will ever know what exactly went through the minds of Booth and his fellow conspirators but this had to be one of the things.

As to Lewis--I did not think it would be possible for him to top his towering performance in There Will be Blood, but I stand dumbfounded. With this film, IMO he has become the greatest Western actor since Brando. By the end of the film I kept thinking, "this is what it must have been like to see "The Godfather" on the screen for the first time, and watch Marlon Brando disappear into this fascinatng character, Vito Corleone." By the time of the Vote scenes, I had forgotten DDL was in the costume and behind the makeup. That really was Abraham Lincoln onscreen, restored to vivid, warm, achingly poignant humanity and life. It's b/c he portrayed Lincoln not as a historical figure but a MAN. I know it's strange to say, but it's true. Try as I might, I just could not bring DDL back. It was scary, exhilerating, and moving at the same time--to watch an already lauded and esteemed actor reach even higher and achieve such greatness. I am shocked to write this, but I am going back to see it again, just to drink in this "performance of the ages." I have one cherished memory from the screening: as I was walking out (and the theater was silent as the grave for maybe the first full minute of the credits) --that of a young girl in the front row, maybe 15 or 16, sitting there absolutley still, her eyes glued to the screen and mouth agape, like she'd just seen Star Wars the first time. I'm not kidding. It's moments ike this where you realize the power of film--what is going through her mind, and how might that affect her afterwards? (Towards the last 20 minutes or so I hearda bit of sniffling in the theater as well.)

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Nov 22 2012, 5:33am)

squire
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 4:56pm

Post #33 of 35 (113 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great review. I was looking forward to this film already, but now even more so with your reaction to Day-Lewis' acting, and to the suspense of the "Judas bargain".

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

batik
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 8:13pm

Post #34 of 35 (87 views)
Shortcut
The Messenger... [In reply to] Can't Post

with Woody Harrelson and Ben Foster. This is one that's been on my netflix "to watch" list for a while. The story being told is not pleasant or pretty (Harrelson and Foster's characters are a part of the US Army’s Casualty Notification service) and I appreciate there being little to no effort to dress it up and make it so. Thumbs up for understated acting and story-telling.

The Cave--this was a rewatch for me. Not for the claustrophobic -at-heart! This one involves creepy creatures in deep, dark and sometimes, tight, spaces. With scuba diving, rock climbing, and spelunking! So an extreme sports meets horror film! For you GoT fans, Lena Headey (Queen Cersie) has a role in this.

Lots more on the coming soon! to watch! lists...come on December!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Nov 24 2012, 3:55am

Post #35 of 35 (168 views)
Shortcut
Lincoln, Argo, Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook [In reply to] Can't Post

Strangely enough, I was underestimating each and every one of these films before I saw them. Perhaps because they are being talked up as the main Oscar contenders (with Les Miserables yet to be released), and I've become so disenchanted with the Oscars over the past few years.

In any case, I was incredibly impressed with each and every one of these films - and if one of them were to win Best Picture this year, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me. All spectacular films - and I'm especially rooting for Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln) and Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook) on Oscar night. All around, a great time to be a movie-goer. So many spectacular movies. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.