Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The character inspiration for Tauriel

Michelle Johnston
Lorien

Mar 23 2013, 11:22am

Views: 103
Shortcut
The character inspiration for Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

"We could have introduced a female human character. But we decided on an elf. There was a little story thread in Lord of the Rings that we wanted to pick up on and develop and it involved a very feminine energy, so we decided to use it and the character of Tauriel came into being."

As the majority of my Tolkien books are currently in storage I decided to down load Unfinished Tales which has a good deal to say about among other matters Lothlorien's history. One of Tolkien's last musings was on the back story to the Song Of Nimrodel chanted by Legolas in the Fellowship of The Ring. I was drawn to this section because Phillipa's words, replayed above, made me consider Nimrodel.

Nimrodel, was a silvan elf, who falls in love with a Sindarian Prince. It is a story of unrequited love and in particular a love that demands much but offers much of herself. I am wondering whether Tauriel who is the leader of the Elven Guard of the King has an unresolved love for Thranduil. Nimrodel whilst loving Amroth resented the coming of the Sindar, the consequences of the wars of Beleriand and fled from her home because of the coming of the Balrog and the incursion of Orcs thus resulting. She may resent the various incomings but ultimately she takes action though at the ultimate personal cost.

We have heard of her dedication to Thranduil and her emotional back ground may give that dedication its femine energy .Thranduil is already seen as antipathetic towards the needs of outsiders and dealing with the consequences of their actions. She may echo that feeling and equally resent the incoming of the Dwarves.

It may be it is Legolas, whom is in conflict with this isolationism, spending time on the boarders looking outwards, echoing other great eleven heros of the first age at the borders of Doriath that is at odds with both his father and Tauriel . PJ has been quick to deny romance between L & T they may indeed sit on opposite sides of the politics of the woodland realm.

All in all Tauriel, Thranduil and Legolas have the potential to grow beyond their non appearance or limited one, in the case of Thranduil, and echo and play out their parts in the tradition and driven by similiar emotional drivers to other Tolkiens characters.

I am well aware that UT is off limits but poetry in the LOTR is not.

I tried to save the shire , and it has been but not for me.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Mar 23 2013, 11:26am)

Subject User Time
An interview with screenwriter Philippa Boyens News from Bree Send a private message to News from Bree Nov 19 2012, 9:47am
    Intriguing... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Nov 19 2012, 3:02pm
    At least this confirmes that Smaug will die as he does in the book! // painjoiker Send a private message to painjoiker Nov 19 2012, 3:25pm
        Istn't this article already over on Main?/// Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Nov 19 2012, 3:34pm
    Interesting quote on Smaug burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Nov 19 2012, 7:50pm
        Haha - I'm not sure that passes Occam's test! Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Nov 19 2012, 7:55pm
        the death of smaug as an instigator of events There&ThereAgain Send a private message to There&ThereAgain Nov 19 2012, 8:28pm
            Completely agreed Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Nov 19 2012, 11:36pm
                I think it would work if Smaug died at the end of TDOS totoro Send a private message to totoro Nov 20 2012, 9:52am
                    It wouldn't work Fardragon Send a private message to Fardragon Nov 20 2012, 10:16am
                        Not if the film-makers are clever about it ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Nov 20 2012, 10:21am
    she's amazing There&ThereAgain Send a private message to There&ThereAgain Nov 19 2012, 8:27pm
    The character inspiration for Tauriel Michelle Johnston Mar 23 2013, 11:22am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.