Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Changes or mis-information in Visual Guide?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jago M
Bree

Nov 17 2012, 7:21pm

Post #26 of 37 (277 views)
Shortcut
It's purely a theoretical calculation [In reply to] Can't Post

'cause there's no birthdate.
We know it's somewhere between the youngest + 50 some years and the oldest (132-178), that's actually all :-)
And for every other dwarf in the company this is true, exept for Thorin, who is the oldest.

Sorry for making you even more tired Wink

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 7:58pm

Post #27 of 37 (280 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if it won't be the Balin connection. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I agree that it is very unlikely that the dwarves will each be reeling off their ages, if Ori is portrayed as the youngest of the group it may be something to do with the future expedition to Moria. Perhaps there was something pleasing in the portrayal of the eldest and the youngest of the group being linked to this episode.

LR

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 8:02pm

Post #28 of 37 (255 views)
Shortcut
Arwen's life is tied to the fate of the ring // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 8:08pm

Post #29 of 37 (242 views)
Shortcut
I did // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 17 2012, 8:08pm

Post #30 of 37 (273 views)
Shortcut
Ugh! Vomit. Definitely a royal in the court of "entirely superflous changes" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 8:50pm

Post #31 of 37 (233 views)
Shortcut
Not only that [In reply to] Can't Post

Two of his few followers were Balin and Dwalin.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 8:55pm

Post #32 of 37 (228 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it works as well as literary version, if this is the case [In reply to] Can't Post

I really wanted to see the full history, with the creepiness of Thrain's going missing Mirkwood leading to his reappearance in Dol Guldur.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 11:06pm

Post #33 of 37 (180 views)
Shortcut
I suppose this explains [In reply to] Can't Post

why Ori refuses to eat his Greens. Wink

totoro
Lorien

Nov 18 2012, 3:09am

Post #34 of 37 (176 views)
Shortcut
They also changed the strongest (used to be Dori) nt [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, it certainly looks like they've changed the ages. Which, like most changes, doesn't make much sense.

There's no need for Ori to be the youngest. Then again, it probably won't even be stated in the films - this could just be additional information for the movie-universe.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 18 2012, 9:14am

Post #35 of 37 (126 views)
Shortcut
I think both scenes are very creepy and powerful in their own way, and I think both merit displaying. [In reply to] Can't Post

My gf and I were saying we could easily see the tale of Thrain's loss as an errie campfire tale as told by Balin (flashbacks included, of course, "We sought the mountain once before, when the dragon sickness and the desire for vengeance beyond hope took Thrain. We didn't have any Wizard supporting us on that adventure. Mayhap if we had things would have been different. We followed Thrain out of duty on a hopeless errand. But we never got near the mountain. Ill fortune plagued us on every step of the journey, and evil creatures seemed to track us at every turn. Wargs, fell birds and evil bats chased behind us across Wilderland. . ." Etc. The battle of Azanalbizar would be an entirely different scene and event. but The Balrog is almost essentially to it. Why else would they turn their backs on their most ancient and beloved fatherland? They had defeated the orcs, utterly routing the goblin armies. . . but The Balrog was a thing beyond their ken and reckoning, even aside from the magnificent foreshadowing aspect. In the right hands, such a scene could be made to work extremely well.

In Reply To
I really wanted to see the full history, with the creepiness of Thrain's going missing Mirkwood leading to his reappearance in Dol Guldur.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 18 2012, 9:24am

Post #36 of 37 (125 views)
Shortcut
Reply [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But it goes on to say that that Thorin's father Thrain "vanished in the dark halls of Khazad-dum,"

This fits with my theory that there is no visit by Gandalf to Dol Guldur prior to the unexpected party. He goes once only, in DoS.

Instead, he found Thrain in Moria, Gandalf's visit there being moved to just before The Hobbit.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 18 2012, 10:12am

Post #37 of 37 (195 views)
Shortcut
The suggestion remains that Thrain was taken to Dol Guldur. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even in the books it says Gandalf searched for Thrain in Moria, but of course that is not where Thrain had been taken. But I suppose all speculation is moot and vain at this point, other than adjusting ourselves to undesirable changes. The film is less than a month away, and all will come out in the wash.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.