Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A little help, Please. Can anyone find the exact line in either a Cinemacon or Comicon footage description, which mentions Gandalf using

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 17 2012, 12:31am

Post #1 of 9 (926 views)
Shortcut
A little help, Please. Can anyone find the exact line in either a Cinemacon or Comicon footage description, which mentions Gandalf using Can't Post

Glamdring to put on a light show prior to fighting a "troll" or other monster. I am certain that I read that in one of the early descriptions of aired footage, but I have not been able to find the exact account. I have been hoping very much to see Gandalf's temporary routing of the goblins in The Misty Mountains display, as per the book, the Wizard's skill with enchantments over fire, in as majestic a display of natural magic as was seen in "Arwen's" waves and Saruman's storm, though on a more localized scale. I would like to think that the shining sword takes place at some other point (perhaps the famous about face moment), and that a more book centered display is on the menu for the assailing of The Goblin Court. . . but if that isn't the case, I'd rather be forewarned. I was hoping to be able to at least get a second look at that brief description of images, but while I have found a number of descriptions of the footage from both con events, I have been unable to rediscover the line concerning Gandalf's use of Glamdring. If anyone can find and share it for me, I would greatlu appreciate it.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 12:42am

Post #2 of 9 (539 views)
Shortcut
There is a reference to the glowing sword here [In reply to] Can't Post

http://io9.com/5926047/martin-freeman-owns-the-role-of-bilbo-in-first-hobbit-footage

But I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

LR

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 17 2012, 2:02am

Post #3 of 9 (453 views)
Shortcut
This is one of the ones I was talking about. Thank you. There is one other that is more descriptive [In reply to] Can't Post

and suggests that the glowing Glamdring in the ground might be a different scene from that with the trolls. Hopefully someone can find that as well, ut I thank you profusely for taking the time to find and share that Lacrimae. Cool

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 2:38am

Post #4 of 9 (449 views)
Shortcut
Ah it's still this one - just a bit further down. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Then there are glimpses of sword-fighting against giants! Gandalf fighting a giant with his sword, and the giants with their massive rocky scary faces, throwing **** at everybody. Giants scowl at the camera. There�s a massive battle. And we see Galadriel looking lovely and ethereal.

And later, Legolas is aiming his bow and arrow at a dwarf, saying, �Do you think I won�t kill you, dwarf?�

Then more shots of giants laying waste to everything in sight, smashing and destroying. And then Gandalf puts his sword down in the ground, and light comes out of it!"

Although I'm pretty certain at least some of those "giants" are actually trolls and I'm not at all sure the sword in the ground isn't the staff in the ground at Trollshaws.

LR

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 18 2012, 7:10pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 2:44am

Post #5 of 9 (444 views)
Shortcut
I think one of those giants [In reply to] Can't Post

May actually be the Goblin King (the one Gandalf is fighting with his sword...)

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 3:10am

Post #6 of 9 (412 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes good point. Very probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 17 2012, 3:42am

Post #7 of 9 (418 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Again, Lacrimae Rearum. I made the mistake Sauron made with Thrain. [In reply to] Can't Post

I found the main lines I was searching for and stopped looking further. lol. Glad you posted this extra piece. My hope is that either the viewer was right about the sword potentially being Gandalf's staff exposing Arien in the Trollshaws scene, or if not, that at least the scene involving what was almost certainly the Goblin King is different from that of Glamdring being stuck glowing mightily into the ground. Thanks again, very much, Lacrimae. Your efforts in my behalf on this are greatly appreciated.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 17 2012, 11:04am

Post #8 of 9 (289 views)
Shortcut
Mis understanding [In reply to] Can't Post

Light doesn't come out of Gandalf's staff - it's the sun appearing between the cracked rock (as seen in many of the trailers).

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 17 2012, 6:41pm

Post #9 of 9 (286 views)
Shortcut
That is what I was thinking also, Daniel B. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, it would help if the writer of the article made an "on further consideration" confirmation. But I think that is most likely, and that we will,, hopefully, see an entirely different a novel mirroring feat of Wizardry against the Goblin colony.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.