Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Trollshaws:
Ok politics of Denny's and Papa John's

ForestPark
Rivendell

Nov 16 2012, 2:31pm

Post #1 of 11 (68 views)
Shortcut
Ok politics of Denny's and Papa John's Can't Post

Denny's franchise owner and Papa Johns owner theatens to cut jobs and hours if Obama is elected based on health insurance issues.Basically threatening workers, "If you vote Obama you will pay ! " What creepy low lifes and sore losers .What next no minimum wage laws and non discrimination hiring.?Mad

ForestPark
Rivendell

Nov 16 2012, 2:39pm

Post #2 of 11 (54 views)
Shortcut
Denny's [In reply to] Can't Post

800 733 6697 is Denny's corp contact thanks

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 16 2012, 3:49pm

Post #3 of 11 (57 views)
Shortcut
Clarification [In reply to] Can't Post

You are talking about the opinions/threats of a (woefully unschooled) franchisee, not Denny's or Papa John's, therefore your title is misleading.

Obviously this person is unaware of the finer points of labour law and basic citizen rights. However if they cannot make ends meet (or even if they are so ideologically driven they only believe they can't make ends meet) under the changes to health care, then they are free to close their doors I suppose. But again it has nothing to do with the franchises -- though I'm guessing they would have an opinion about this sort of nonsense as well.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Nov 16 2012, 3:50pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 16 2012, 4:41pm

Post #4 of 11 (40 views)
Shortcut
I believe it was the CEO of Papa John's [In reply to] Can't Post

who said he company might have to cut workers. However, you are correct about Denny's - that was a franchisee, not a statement from headquarters.

Just adding a general warning about political posts. While not against our Terms of Service, we do watch political threads very closely and encourage everyone to put on their courtesy caps when participating.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Nov 16 2012, 4:58pm

Post #5 of 11 (35 views)
Shortcut
Prepare Ye The Way Of The Godwin [In reply to] Can't Post

How about a boycott? I have boycotted the limited access highway system and have refused to use it ever since I found out Hitler's government invented it.

Yeah, that was sarcasm.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 16 2012, 5:10pm

Post #6 of 11 (36 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Entmaiden [In reply to] Can't Post

Forestpark's post seemed to be talking about a single person who owned both a Denny's and a Papa John's outlet. As usual it pays to do a little googling before responding to a post that isn't clear.

The idea that someone would use their economic power over someone else in order to get them to vote a certain way drives me to distraction. Saying we can't run a business under these conditions is one thing, and may even be acceptable if it is true. Saying vote for x or else your hours will be cut is an entirely different matter.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 16 2012, 5:27pm

Post #7 of 11 (32 views)
Shortcut
but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen the news report that states that workers were coerced toward voting against Obama. I wouldn't have any trouble believing it was true but I don't really respond well to people trying to get me riled up about something without giving me links to solid information so I can be informed and make up my own mind.

And it's not that I don't want to talk politics on TORn (although I don't) as much as I don't like the idea of individual people attempting to rouse the members here toward a certain campaign.

One attempt at that opens the door for lots and I really don't want this to become routine - we all have our pet issues and the mean a lot to each of us. But I think, although we can share how we individually work toward those pet issues, it isn't productive to try to get others to join us.

If we must talk politics, then let it be about the issues and make it as well informed a discussion as possible. Don't ask me to take action on certain issues - especially when only scant information is provided on that issue.

But, as I've said before, we all enjoy Tolkien. Let's find the common interests that unite us instead of off-topic beliefs that might divide us. I so enjoy talking with people about Tolkien... why would I muck that up by asking them what their stand is on any number of divisive and volatile subjects?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 16 2012, 6:41pm

Post #8 of 11 (18 views)
Shortcut
an observation [In reply to] Can't Post

although we can share how we individually work toward those pet issues, it isn't productive to try to get others to join us.

Having had to listen to my share of my friends' rants over their pet issues, I finally realized that people often get so vehement and proselytize because they feel like the issue is too big for them to have an impact by themselves, so they try to enlist others. Sadly, vehemence, although well-meant*, often turns off the very people they want to convert. For myself, the answer has been to offer information from reliable, unbiased sources (as best I can) IF someone else brings up the topic, but not to try to browbeat them.

* Something my Weight Watchers leader said: "almost everything anyone does has, at its core, a positive intention." She meant that people who overeat are usually trying to feel better about something, but I think it applies to a lot more. For instance, my mom gets angry a lot, but it's always when she's worried about us and wants us to be okay. A person who is clumsy about how they go about something is not a bad person.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

ForestPark
Rivendell

Nov 16 2012, 7:56pm

Post #9 of 11 (15 views)
Shortcut
ignorange is bliss [In reply to] Can't Post

oxoxox

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 16 2012, 8:24pm

Post #10 of 11 (10 views)
Shortcut
there's something kind of ironic [In reply to] Can't Post

about misspelling ignorance while saying that.

If you want someone to be informed, you have to offer them information backed with links and resources. You didn't do that. In fact, I've taken a look at 6 different articles on this subject. Have you?

Also please not, trying to inform someone is not the same as trying to get them to do something you want them to do (by publishing that phone number) or come to the conclusion you want them to come to.

(and don't think you can come to any conclusion about what I think about this topic or any other US political issue. All I'm saying is, there's a time and a place and the right way to do things. I'm not sure this is the place and I'm not sure this is the right way to discuss it)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 16 2012, 8:30pm

Post #11 of 11 (13 views)
Shortcut
Ignoble oranges are often blissful. [In reply to] Can't Post

What's so hard to understand about that?

Laugh

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.