Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Galadriel in The Hobbit (TV Spot question)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Nov 17 2012, 4:23pm

Post #26 of 31 (188 views)
Hope not - not sure what it would add to the plot [In reply to] Can't Post

This is very much Ori and his lettuce. Who knows how it will turn out. It might not even make it into the final cut.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Nov 17 2012, 4:24pm

Post #27 of 31 (185 views)
I was kidding [In reply to] Can't Post

I just find it hilarious that she is always on that balcony, day and night!

Nov 17 2012, 4:27pm

Post #28 of 31 (185 views)
It might be her favourite place in Rivendell? [In reply to] Can't Post

Part of her "bedroom" perhaps? If I was there, I wouldn't want to move either!Wink

Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 4:53pm

Post #29 of 31 (187 views)
Just an aside on the design of this gown... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Sibley's Official Move Guide Ann Maskrey says

"At the White Council, Galadriel wears a coat in shot silk, woven with a metallic thread that magically catches the light. I originally drew the coat as if it were blowing in the wind, hoping that it would create an ethereal, enigmatic vision of Galadriel...Beneath the coat, Galadriel wears a chiffon dress covered in rivulets of Swarovksi crystals that look like running water over another shimmering layer of beaded chiffon..."

When we saw this gown in V-log 3(?) it is clearly a soft mink or light gold metallic material that glistens under full light, as can be seen in the link you gave and this closer one:

however in a lot of the published images the metallic sheen is just not coming across at all...

There is large picture, based on this one,

in the Visual Guide, and the material just looks like taupe coloured linen - awful!! I don't think this is what Ann Maskrey really wanted!!

Of course it may not even make it into the final cut..just as there were several of Arwen's gowns seen in stills that were from scenes cut from the final version, such as these two:

I'm personally looking forward to seeing more of this other Galadriel gown so I hope it does makes it in:

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Nov 17 2012, 4:54pm)

Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 11:24am

Post #30 of 31 (104 views)
A further aside on the stone-coloured overgown... [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the thread has been deleted, I'll repost the observation I made on the leaked info/images from the forthcoming Weta Chronicles,
in case anyone is still interested!

This overgown/coat is described being almost the colour of the stone of Rivendell, which "enhances Galadriel's entry in the film". It also says that Cate made the "perfect corkscrew turn," so I am now thinking that the idea of Galadriel standing on that stone outcrop is that she will look like a statue to begin with and then as the camera closes in she will turn around, as if the stone has come to life!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Nov 22 2012, 11:40am

Post #31 of 31 (166 views)
"Statuesque quality" [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny how people can read the same passage and have two different intepretations.

I first read it as that she simply blended in with the stone (to appear more natural and so on), rather than her looking like a statue and almost "coming to life".

Now you mention it though, that's how I interpret the passage. Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.